Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
The Cultic works Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animeharpy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm
abarrach
Nuadu
If this were true then you would have defined cultus as meaning "tended, cultivated", the past participle of colere, meaning to till. The connotation of worship is a later addition to the word.

Of course, you'd also have meant "companion" when you wrote society as the now common sense of the term didn't come into existence until the 17th century and by "traditionalist" you would presumably have meant someone who handed things over or surrendered to another person. The problem with tradition, as Frank Herbert rightly points out, is that there is always an older one.

As for who gave the term a negative connotation, I presume you mean this to be a reference to Christianity, and yet we find that the term is used quite positively, for instance, as a Catholic liturgical term.

LOL!! Too bad she didn't get what you're trying to point out.

sigh, i did get what he was talking about , i choose not to acknowledge what he said, as i choose each word in my statement based upon QBLH. I was hoping perhaps someone may have picked up on that with my use of the word "intentionally", but apparently this is not the right audience for such topics. Cest la vie.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:55 am
Edit.

OK, we could go around and around with this but I'm not certain I see the point. So, I'm done with this one.  

Nuadu

The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces