Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

G2_00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:19 pm
I say it is the choice of the mother. If we open it up to only rape victims then the reported rape rate goes up. Then we say they have to report it in 24 hours or something and then the people who deserve it don't get it. I just feel that the mother should have the choice and not some group of people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:13 pm
I don't think that abortion should only be open for rape victems either I agree with G2. If that happens wont people just claim to be raped? You can't say yes abortian to this person or No to that person, can you? rolleyes  

E_Night

BitchesBrew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:54 pm
The fetus is compeltly dependant on it's mother so the mother chooses what happends to it. Also maybe cosnervatives should stop trying to get abortion outlawed and start trying to improve the state of lower income areas so there would be less abortions(i could care elss how many there are), the baby is made sure it will have adequat conditions, and more adoptions will happen because not many people are going to pick up some crack baby from watts.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:20 pm
My organized 2 cents:

Once brain activity is established, aborting the child should be illegal. I say this because a man got charged with double murder for killing his pregnant wife since the baby was far enough along to show brain activity.

There are too many forms of birth control, both post & pre-pregnancy, for someone to thoroughly convince me that abortion is their only option.

Ahhh. I feel better. Don't you?

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Grand Moff Locket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 pm
Dathu reminded me of something, which he's probably talking about.

Scott Peterson got two ******** counts because of the baby, and abortion is legal. I absolutely hate America. It pisses me off so much...

Abortion should be illegal. As long as you're depriving someone of life, be it pre or post birth, you're murdering. Murder is wrong in America, correct? I don't really care if someone got raped. Sex is something we're supposed to do. Besides that fact, it's a poor excuse to kill. "Lyk omgz teh babee reminds me abut teh rape, so i kill it." Tell me, if there's someone knocked out beside you while you're raped, does the fact that they remind you of it mean you can kill them? There's a reason that excuse doesn't hold up for any other killings.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:06 pm
Lock The Cards

Scott Peterson got two ******** counts because of the baby, and abortion is legal. I absolutely hate America. It pisses me off so much...

Abortion should be illegal. As long as you're depriving someone of life, be it pre or post birth, you're murdering. Murder is wrong in America, correct? I don't really care if someone got raped. Sex is something we're supposed to do. Besides that fact, it's a poor excuse to kill. "Lyk omgz teh babee reminds me abut teh rape, so i kill it." Tell me, if there's someone knocked out beside you while you're raped, does the fact that they remind you of it mean you can kill them? There's a reason that excuse doesn't hold up for any other killings.

If the babies mom doesn't have enough money to care for it or theres something wrong with her, in which she'll mostlikely harm the baby wouldn't it be better to abort the fetus before its born? A fetus has never lived. A babie has. If thers some problem with the baby that is life threatening to the child and it will most likly die, wouldn't you rather (if the mom feels it right) for it to be killed before it ever lived with pain.? sad  

E_Night

puresilver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:14 pm
I think we should all juust stay out of eachother's business.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:06 pm
Eternalnight666
Lock The Cards

If the babies mom doesn't have enough money to care for it or theres something wrong with her, in which she'll mostlikely harm the baby wouldn't it be better to abort the fetus before its born? A fetus has never lived. A babie has. If thers some problem with the baby that is life threatening to the child and it will most likly die, wouldn't you rather (if the mom feels it right) for it to be killed before it ever lived with pain.? sad
I heard a discussion about that. The issue was "If you knew your baby was going to die three years after it was borne, would you still want to carry it?" And some other questions asked "if it were to be retarded, disfigured, gay, so on and so on." It got some surprising answers from some of my fellow students.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

E_Night

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:19 pm
Dathu
Eternalnight666
Lock The Cards

I heard a discussion about that. The issue was "If you knew your baby was going to die three years after it was borne, would you still want to carry it?" And some other questions asked "if it were to be retarded, disfigured, gay, so on and so on." It got some surprising answers from some of my fellow students.

I really myself wouldn't care if it was retarded disfiguared or gay id still keep it because my mom kept me and the docters said i'd be disfugared and retarded(im not... medically smile ) But you know some people probebly don't have the metal power to deal with it, or money to pay for it. babies are expencive. !  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:21 pm
Lock The Cards

It's not that simple. If you kill something that doesn't even have cousciousness of being alive, you can't possibly count it as murder.

Abortion should remain legal (and be legal here in Brazil). And I don't mean just in abortion case scenarios either. Let's take a fairly common example. Ms. X goes to a party, gets drunk and has sex with Mr. Y without any protections. Yes, big ******** mistake, don't think I think that behaviour is acceptable. But now, Ms. X and Mr. Y will have a lot of trouble to take care of little Z, dropping out of school, getting jobs and whatnot. And do you think that little Z will grow up in a healthy environment? I don't think so. In sumation: that's three lifes ruined. And it could have been avoided.

When the fetus shows the first brain activities, as it was said here before, it's officially illegal to abort, since it's likely that it has developed conciousness of it's own existance.  

MightyHikaru

Reinna Astarel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:08 pm
Lock The Cards

Actually, I think that Scott Peterson got two counts because the fetus was viable when it was killed. (Means it was able to live outside the mother.) So...

The thing is, a normal, living human being doesn't have the right to use my body, even if it may cost him his life. Why does a fetus have the right to use my body then, if it doesn't have my consent?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:10 pm
Dathu
My organized 2 cents:

Once brain activity is established, aborting the child should be illegal. I say this because a man got charged with double murder for killing his pregnant wife since the baby was far enough along to show brain activity.

There are too many forms of birth control, both post & pre-pregnancy, for someone to thoroughly convince me that abortion is their only option.

Ahhh. I feel better. Don't you?
I am reasonably sure that brain activity begins ....after the first trimester. And abortions after the first trimester are only done when there is a health risk involved for the mother.

What do you think of that?  

Reinna Astarel

Lucifer Force

Sparkling Senshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:59 pm
I work at Staples. This lasy gave my friend (another cashier) a pin with tiny feet on it, and it said "The exact size and shape of a 10-week old baby's feet". And on the side, it says something like, "People think my life begins at birth, but they're wrong!"

How creepy is that? I think it's the choice of the mother. It's not like we need more humans on the planet anyway...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm
From my perspective, it really seems like a question of quantity of quality.

In some situations, if the mother were to give birth, but she wasn't able to adequately support the child and she didn't want a child; then there would be more people, but the total 'quality of life' would've decreased.

Since I see no inherent goodness in a rapidly increasing population, I'm gonna say that abortion, in some cases, is 'good'.  

Mechanism

Reo_Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 pm
I'm pro-choice, although personally I don't think I could have an abortion except in cases of rape or if I was at risk. But that's my choice.

Abortions happen for all kinds of reasons, not just 'oops, I got drunk and had unprotected sex with a stranger'

Even a married woman may choose to have an abortion if things are unstable with her husband.

I don't think the choice to have an abortion should be made with out serious consideration. If there is another option that is possible, it should be taken. Abortion should be your last resort. Sometimes having the baby and giving it up for adoption isn't always the best choice and sometimes it is.

And now I have one last statement that's related - and then I'm finished ranting (I promise smile )

anywho, I don't know how it was at other schools - but my high school had no sex-ed what so ever. All we had was a short twenty minute video at the end of health class.

It seemed as though my school focused mostly on the risks and not at all on the solutions or options open to students who find themselves in bad situations.

I just feel that if students (particularly the girls) where more informed about they're options - and if they knew more about getting counciling and help telling family about their problems we'd have a lot less babies in trash cans.

just a thought.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces