Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Chronicles of Narnia and other religious childrens' books. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 am
I first read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, THE FIRST BOOK, when I was 10. One of my mom's co-workers had it in her office and I asked about it. She said I could borrow it. Then, when I was 12 or so, my aunt happened to give me the FIRST and FIFTH books, the fifth one being The Magician's Nephew. Some time later, I read the copies of all 7 books that my school library had. I've read the whole series straight through 3 times now and I've read each book more than that. I think they are wonderful stories. I was just confused by the christian crap, like when Aslan said he was in Lucy's world, too, and she must come to know him by another name, but he didn't say what name, and some other random stuff. I thought it was funny how Aslan's father was the sun. Is it Egyptian?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:30 pm
Rilian
I first read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, THE FIRST BOOK, when I was 10. One of my mom's co-workers had it in her office and I asked about it. She said I could borrow it. Then, when I was 12 or so, my aunt happened to give me the FIRST and FIFTH books, the fifth one being The Magician's Nephew.

Those are the order they were written in. I was speaking Chronologically. Many sets have been re-arranged into that more efficient order.  

Dread Dionaea

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:56 pm
I loved the books when I was 12.
I noticed the whole Santa/Aslan thing was a Christian idea.
But I still like the books.
Price Caspian was my favorite. That or the Silver Chair.
The funny thing is that C.S. Lewis was an athiest until J.R.R. Tolkin stepped in and told him to become Christian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:24 pm
cup_noodles
I loved the books when I was 12.
I noticed the whole Santa/Aslan thing was a Christian idea.
But I still like the books.
Price Caspian was my favorite. That or the Silver Chair.
The funny thing is that C.S. Lewis was an athiest until J.R.R. Tolkin stepped in and told him to become Christian.

For some reason the whole thing with Aslan and the Sun makes me think more along the lines of Bastet and Egypt. I don't know why.

The Egyptians believed that the gods could manifest on the Earth in animal form, which is why the sometimes were percieved to be animal worshippers even though they never worshipped animals per se.

Sanguvixen

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:34 am
Dread Dionaea
Rilian
I first read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, THE FIRST BOOK, when I was 10. One of my mom's co-workers had it in her office and I asked about it. She said I could borrow it. Then, when I was 12 or so, my aunt happened to give me the FIRST and FIFTH books, the fifth one being The Magician's Nephew.

Those are the order they were written in. I was speaking Chronologically. Many sets have been re-arranged into that more efficient order.

It isn't more efficient at all. The Magician's Nephew is meant to be a prequel. It has references that don't make sense unless you've read the first 4 books. (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.)

And that isn't really the order they were written in. It's the order they were published in. He wrote them all randomly, in bits and pieces.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:54 am
Regardless, that's the order that I'm sticking to.  

Dread Dionaea

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:22 pm
Aww, I loved The Horse and his Boy... "Broohaha..."

"1. The Magicians Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

This order reflects the chronological sequence of events in the books themselves."  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 pm
PickleBoy
Aww, I loved The Horse and his Boy... "Broohaha..."

"1. The Magicians Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

This order reflects the chronological sequence of events in the books themselves."

Except for the fact that The Horse and His Boy takes place during The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  

Prince Rilian

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:49 pm
It's the closest appropriation. It's not necessary to nitpick over insignificant details.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:42 am
Dread Dionaea
It's the closest appropriation. It's not necessary to nitpick over insignificant details.

Are you talking to me?

The Magician's Nephew should be read 5th. It does not make sense otherwise. I read it second, but then I read the whole series straight through, from the first book (LWW) to the seventh (The Last Battle) and I see now why The Magician's Nephew should be read 5th. There were things in it that I did not understand the first time. And the copies I read were labeled properly.

So, that is a big deal. People have gotten onto me for reading My Ishmael before reading The Story of B. I didn't know that I was supposed to read The Story of B first. But if I had known, I would have, because you don't get the right idea if you read them in the wrong order!  

Prince Rilian

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces