Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My school is teaching creationism. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:56 pm
Creationism in public schools? Wow...I knew it would happen eventually, but not this quickly!

Hmmmm....The best you can do if you don't care enough to go to court about it is to just do what assignments they tell you to do, regurgitate the poison they expect you to spout out, and then when it is over, forget all they had to say, and even do a little back research on Evolution, Chaos Theory(which practically debunks all of the Creationism/ID arguments in way way or the other) and what constitutes real science, and real theory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:04 pm
Sanguvixen
Creationism in public schools? Wow...I knew it would happen eventually, but not this quickly!

Hmmmm....The best you can do if you don't care enough to go to court about it is to just do what assignments they tell you to do, regurgitate the poison they expect you to spout out, and then when it is over, forget all they had to say, and even do a little back research on Evolution, Chaos Theory(which practically debunks all of the Creationism/ID arguments in way way or the other) and what constitutes real science, and real theory.

I'm very prone to brainwashing though. D=

But, I guess if I just do the assignments, I'll half a** them. I can't possibly take this seriously.  

Laprasite

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:18 pm
SpasticKitten
Sanguvixen

But, I guess if I just do the assignments, I'll half a** them. I can't possibly take this seriously.

Then don't take it seriously.

Be the biggest pain in the a** you can.

I can't believe it. I really can't. I mean, don't get me wrong, Creationism is really interesting-- for, like, a philosophy class. But it has no place in the sciences. At all.

I went to a Catholic school since 4th grade, and with all the Christianity there, they taught Evolution. Well, that might have to do with the fact that Catholics are the voice of reason in the Christian community, but still...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:06 am
Meirelle
SpasticKitten
Sanguvixen

I can't believe it. I really can't. I mean, don't get me wrong, Creationism is really interesting-- for, like, a philosophy class. But it has no place in the sciences. At all.

I went to a Catholic school since 4th grade, and with all the Christianity there, they taught Evolution. Well, that might have to do with the fact that Catholics are the voice of reason in the Christian community, but still...

The voice of reason? Well, I've met many Catholics that would make you think otherwise.

Hopefully they'll make it easy for all of us and just stop using that curriculum.  

Laprasite

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:14 am
SpasticKitten
EmmaRaikou
I would suggest making the principal and the schoolboard familiar with the Edward v Aguillard decision, and threaten a phone call from the ACLU.

I hate the ACLU, and so does my dad. But then again, he probably doesn't like agnostics either, so I'm screwed either way.

I'll go to their website though and see if there's any information about creationism in public schools.

See if they have a branch in your local area. And then email them about the issue.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 pm
SpasticKitten
Meirelle
SpasticKitten
Sanguvixen

The voice of reason? Well, I've met many Catholics that would make you think otherwise.

Hopefully they'll make it easy for all of us and just stop using that curriculum.

I doubt they'll stop using that curriculum if someone higher up the school board happens to be a Evangelical....

Be a pain in the a** if you want but I say it's just better off to question and debunk everything that's taught. Now, that's interesting.

I'd have to say, ID in schools, and in California too. The Governator isn't doing his job. I hope doesn't spread to neighboring counties and states.

cup_noodles

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:13 am
cup_noodles
SpasticKitten
Meirelle
SpasticKitten
Sanguvixen

I doubt they'll stop using that curriculum if someone higher up the school board happens to be a Evangelical....

Be a pain in the a** if you want but I say it's just better off to question and debunk everything that's taught. Now, that's interesting.

I'd have to say, ID in schools, and in California too. The Governator isn't doing his job. I hope doesn't spread to neighboring counties and states.

The Evangelicals are the ones who kicked me down the road of Atheism. Oh, the irony.

And I'm sure you've met some bad Catholics. I have, too. When I said that, I was thinking of the Evangelicals... totally not the voice of reason.

Seriously, though. It's being taught in a science class. I'd ask the teacher, "What evidence is there to back this up?"

See what he says to that. twisted One thing, though. Be prepared. Evangelicals are masters at twisting words.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:11 am
I asked my teacher, and she basically said, "If you think it's biased, then make an argument against why you think it's not a theory, and back up your opinions, etc." So, that's what I'll do. Because even though it's biased I realized I'd rather be proud of myself by creating a valid argument rather than just pushing it away and pussying out of it. So yeah. Lots of research for me to do. -sigh- xD  

Laprasite

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:31 am
I would say take it as an opportunity to really understand the other side's arguments to strengthen your own. I don't think creationism is total crap. Well maybe it is. Creationism would make more sense if it was more on the side of "God influenced evolution" rather than "God created everything exactly the way it is now."  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 pm
CleverScreenname
I would say take it as an opportunity to really understand the other side's arguments to strengthen your own. I don't think creationism is total crap. Well maybe it is. Creationism would make more sense if it was more on the side of "God influenced evolution" rather than "God created everything exactly the way it is now."

The problem was that there WAS no argument for it. It had nothing to support it, whatsoever. How can you scientifically support a higher entity existing anyways?  

Laprasite

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:10 pm
SpasticKitten
CleverScreenname

The problem was that there WAS no argument for it. It had nothing to support it, whatsoever. How can you scientifically support a higher entity existing anyways?

That is the problem, you can't. Science and Faith cannot be mixed....the reason being is there is no scientific test to prove or disprove the existance of a Diety/God/Goddess.

You can't disprove it even though it has no real argument. It is foolishness really. It's the same as Unicorn Theory and God Theory. All you have to say is to one who says Unicorns arn't real is that "They can make themselves invisible via magic" or "You have to have faith" and there is not a damn thing science can do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:13 pm
The best way(in my opinion) to tackle Creationisim and ID is to point out what makes something a scientific subject or what constitutes a scientific theory. Once you can made grounds to prove that Creationism and ID are both not scientific topics and lack what it takes to be a Theory or Hypothesis.....the argument ends. Science bends for nothing, you know.

You prove it is a not a subject before Science, it cannot be tested, and you cannot gather results. Thus it doesn't belong in a science class. Thus it does not belong being debated.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces