Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
Count Cain *Spoilers aplenty now... Enter at own risk* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:31 am
The ending got very surreal...
I got extremely mixed up when they went into Alexis and Augusta's pasts.
Augusta was the dark-haired one seducing Alexis...or was she the crazy blonde? O_O
And the whole bit with the tomb coming to life and bringing final closure and saving Merryweather...
I think Kaori Yuki is just relying on suspension of disbelief for some of it there...

Just a thought...what is your take on the significance of some of the character's names. Cain and Jezebel in particular.
Anyone else think that Jezebel is in fact the Abel figure to Cain's...well...er...Cain?
And also...how well do you think the Delilah members represent their tarot cards?
It might be a little tough, since not everybody knows the meaning of the cards of the major arcana, but if you do a quick search on the net and compare them to the characters, its kinda fascinating.
SPOILER
I think Riff's card, The Tower is the most outright and straight foward.
Meanwhile, I'm puzzling over Jezebel's card, Death, which represents Change more than some negative connotation, as sinister as the card is.
Its true that Jezebel is deadly, or else he wouldnt be one of the Major Arcana, but that's not what the card really means. What kind of change/transition does Jezebel herald?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:40 pm
According to Cards. . .

I thought the same thing about Jez's card until I really began to consider it. When I really sat back and looked at things, I realized that Jezebel has caused the most changing events in Cain's life. One, he was the basic 'provider' behind Riff, even though Alexis 'gave' him to Cain. Riff was the first doll he made successfully. He also supplied Cain with Merdianna (which, who else has seen the eerie resemblance. . considering Cain instantly fell in love with her and she was a doll, too?) and then killed her. He provides Cassian with a new body, as well. Jezebel himself also develops dramatically from when he's first introduced, to the end of the story. He starts out hating Cain completely, but midway begins to have some doubts, and by the end of it he's actually helping him along.

Justice is fairly obvious, I believe. . . as is The Fool, Owl. BTW, does it ever say what card Cassian represents? All I know is that he's a minor trump card. . .

Cain_Hargreaves

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:12 pm
Cain_Hargreaves
According to Cards. . .

I thought the same thing about Jez's card until I really began to consider it. When I really sat back and looked at things, I realized that Jezebel has caused the most changing events in Cain's life. One, he was the basic 'provider' behind Riff, even though Alexis 'gave' him to Cain. Riff was the first doll he made successfully. He also supplied Cain with Merdianna (which, who else has seen the eerie resemblance. . considering Cain instantly fell in love with her and she was a doll, too?) and then killed her. He provides Cassian with a new body, as well. Jezebel himself also develops dramatically from when he's first introduced, to the end of the story. He starts out hating Cain completely, but midway begins to have some doubts, and by the end of it he's actually helping him along.

Justice is fairly obvious, I believe. . . as is The Fool, Owl. BTW, does it ever say what card Cassian represents? All I know is that he's a minor trump card. . .

It's never said what Cassians card is.
Thinking a little harder about it. Jezebel does fit The Death card...the Death card also represents opening for new oppurtunity. He certainly fulfilled that role in the end, huh.

Did a little research and interpretation of my own. Very very fascinating! Take a look!! Includes the reverse meanings as well, which I think in a lot of the cases tell more about the characters than the normal divination does...

Alexis Hargreaves - The Emperor
- patriarchal power, ambition, responsibility, authority, force
- flipped: loss/dislike of power, manipulative colleagues, friends

Dominique - The Magician
- conduit of power, realization of one's potential, creative action, intiative
- flipped: hesitation, indecisiveness, confusion, poor self-image, giving up easily

Dr. Celes Helen Octavia - Justice
- Arbitration, clarity, judgement, resolution of conflicts
- flipped: Injustice, inequality, division yet not resolved, imbalance

Dr. Zenopia - The Hermit
- caution, prudence, taking the advice of others, planning
- flipped: refusal of counsel/assistance, keeping to ones self, imprudent actions/decisions, reliance on the resources of the self which are often inadequate.

Dr. Jezebel Disraeli - Death
- beginning of something new, process into change/transition, end of a phase of life that has served its purpose, abrupt change due to past circumstances.
- flipped: Painful, unpleasant transition, reluctance to and fear of change, agonising time of transition, inertia, physical or mental exhaustion
(That fits Jezebel to a tee!! How much do I love Jezebel!!?)

Cassandra Gladstone - not defined, but judging from outfit, Heirophant most likely.
- ritual and routine formal religious guidance and authority, teacher
- flipped: misleading, poor counsel, slander, propaganda, distortion of truth, beware of first impressions

Eda - The Moon
- imagination, the unconcious mind, losing control of daily life, illusions, person depression due to inability to see clearly.
- flipped: Need for secrecy, deception and illusion, escape from reality, inability to face truth, desperation for help

Snow Owl - The Fool
- beginning of a new life or journey, energy, optimism, going against the status quo, spontanaeity, innocence, important decisions yet to be made
- flipped: bad risks, impulsive action, rashness, instability, seeking change, but never finishing

(I am censoring the following because it contains possible spoilers)
Rifuel "Riff" Raffit - The Tower (this one is easy)
- disruption, conflict, change, suddent violent loss or overthrow of existing way of life. Disruption of routine, ruin and disturbance. Dramatic upheaval and its widespread repercussions. At last, enlightenment and freedom (wow O_O that last bit I didnt know).
- flipped: negativity, restriction of desires, imprisonment, drastic change that may rob someone of freedom, changes out of one's control

The Coffin Man - Ace of Swords
(this ones a toughy since we dont know a lot about The Coffin Man)
- Complete change of mind, pursuit of ultimate truth, triumph, victory, success, new beginnings
- flipped: confusion, violence, destruction, misuse of power, depending on surround cards, sometimes can represent death.

Cassian - undefined minor arcana card -_-

source:
Tarot Meanings  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:00 pm
I've used that site before while doing tarot spreads. It's very helpful! And you're right, a lot of the characters have aspects of both sides of the cards.

I remember reading somewhere that it was implied that if Cain had a card associated with him, it would be The World. . . .It's a sequence where it shows Cain and has that card in the background. I forget which volume it's in, though. Anyway. .

Uhm, strange, The World's meaning has strangely dissapeared from that page. . . at least every time I refresh it's missing. o_O;  

Cain_Hargreaves

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:16 pm
Hmmm... wasn't Cain the 'Hanged Man' or something? It was the card Merryweather flipped for him while she was still a fortune teller and Cain was her customer...

Weirdly enough... I don't really get Snow Owl's. I mean yes, he's a minor character, so we can't expect to see as much about his personality as we do Cain's or Jezebel's, but he hardly strikes me as close to any of the so-called characteristics of the Fool...

But Jezebel's card is very suitable for him... biggrin

Oh, and Augusta was both the crazy blonde and the dark-haired lady... or actually, her hair turned white or something... she went nuts after having Cain, so that's how she went crazy. But honestly... was Kaori Yuki a little too eager to tell the reader who the tomb was meant for? I mean, she did introduce the whole 'tomb' idea in book 12... So maybe that's her reason? I still find it weird though...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:54 am
hey, in the 6th volume (i think, not sure.. sweatdrop ) riff sees a tarotcard, and he's very... scared/surprised.
was that incest or something..? 'cause I think there are obviosly hints later in the manga...  

Sonoshi
Crew

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:09 am
Sonoshi
hey, in the 6th volume (i think, not sure.. sweatdrop ) riff sees a tarotcard, and he's very... scared/surprised.
was that incest or something..? 'cause I think there are obviosly hints later in the manga...

Do you really want to know what that scene meant or would you rather find out for yourself? ^_^;;;

And theres incest a plenty.
Alexis and Augusta, Cain even had a little something for his cousin in first half of CC. But Riff isnt involved in incest in any way.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:18 am
Shura Yukihime
Hmmm... wasn't Cain the 'Hanged Man' or something? It was the card Merryweather flipped for him while she was still a fortune teller and Cain was her customer...

Weirdly enough... I don't really get Snow Owl's. I mean yes, he's a minor character, so we can't expect to see as much about his personality as we do Cain's or Jezebel's, but he hardly strikes me as close to any of the so-called characteristics of the Fool...

But Jezebel's card is very suitable for him... biggrin

Oh, and Augusta was both the crazy blonde and the dark-haired lady... or actually, her hair turned white or something... she went nuts after having Cain, so that's how she went crazy. But honestly... was Kaori Yuki a little too eager to tell the reader who the tomb was meant for? I mean, she did introduce the whole 'tomb' idea in book 12... So maybe that's her reason? I still find it weird though...

you're right, Merryweather did draw the Hanged Man on him once...

Cain - possibly the Hanged Man?
- devotion to a worthwhile cause, temporary suspension of progress, flexibility, adaptability, willingness to sacrifice for benefit in the future, rebirth, transformation
- flipped: loss, preoccupation with selfish and material things, opression, apathy in pursuit of goals. failure to act with an inability to move forward and progress.

Hmm...yes, I can see this. Cain is definitly a rebirth figure. His flipped card is definitly a darker side of him. Especially after tragedy strikes, he falls into this extremely apathetic mind set. He's almost like Alexis in his ruthlessness, wherein the only thing he cares about still is Merryweather. He is also fixated with the events of his past and is unable to escape them or is reluctant to end the pain he has become so accustomed to. Possibly because its because its the only thing he's gotten from his father all his life, its the only thing he has to identify him by.

Im having trouble finding a good interpretation of the World card myself.
My divination book is at home and I'm not ^_^;  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:27 am
Now, I'm not sure if ressurecting a so-called dead thread is wrong, but I really do have a CC related question, particularly aimed at those who have finished the series. It's below, in white, so...

There was this weird map Cain had, in Godchild volume 7, or Count Cain book 13, if you prefer. Cain was holding it somewhere near the start, when he and Clehadault were about to pay a visit to Lady Octavia (sp?)... It had a whole bunch of crosses and stuff on it... What's the significance of all those crosses? I keep staring at it, turning my manga all over the place, but it still makes no sense... So I decided to ask it today, after finishing Godless AGAIN...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:17 pm
Shura Yukihime
Now, I'm not sure if ressurecting a so-called dead thread is wrong, but I really do have a CC related question, particularly aimed at those who have finished the series. It's below, in white, so...

There was this weird map Cain had, in Godchild volume 7, or Count Cain book 13, if you prefer. Cain was holding it somewhere near the start, when he and Clehadault were about to pay a visit to Lady Octavia (sp?)... It had a whole bunch of crosses and stuff on it... What's the significance of all those crosses? I keep staring at it, turning my manga all over the place, but it still makes no sense... So I decided to ask it today, after finishing Godless AGAIN...

gonna leave this in normal black since no one will get it unless theyve read Godless.
Cain has Dominique helping him in his investigation on Delilah. He's trying to locate Madam Octavia's headquarters.
The map shows property in town that have been bought up by Barabas (you'll remember the sign on the burnt down mansion where the Coffin Man staged his last attack).
I dont quite remember hte details about Barabas, but I think its a front for Delilah where they are buying up occult locations to set up these obelisks to carry through their crazy ritual.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Cain_Hargreaves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:20 pm
Sai-kun

gonna leave this in normal black since no one will get it unless theyve read Godless.
Cain has Dominique helping him in his investigation on Delilah. He's trying to locate Madam Octavia's headquarters.
The map shows property in town that have been bought up by Barabas (you'll remember the sign on the burnt down mansion where the Coffin Man staged his last attack).
I dont quite remember hte details about Barabas, but I think its a front for Delilah where they are buying up occult locations to set up these obelisks to carry through their crazy ritual.

*nods* Yup. Barabas Co. is the legal name of Delilah. The properties that they burned actually create a circle in the shape of Stonehenge, with the Angel Zodiac Memorial Tower built into the center of them, to receive the occult energy generated by the obelisque's placements.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:53 pm
Ah... Thanks for explaining. Now the whole burning etc. section makes sense...  

Shura Yukihime

ZetsumeiMitsukai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:18 pm
God Child is so sad. crying Poor Cain and RIff.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:41 pm
ZetsumeiMitsukai

It has the Boys Next Door effect :3
Its utterly fatalistic and heartbreaking but at the same time so sweet.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Devante X

Ruthless Knight

12,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:54 am
ZetsumeiMitsukai

yea, they deserved better crying gonk  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces