Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
my parents r sending me ta a christian counceling camp Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:09 am
Well, you have to consider it in the context of the event; a child being forced to go through an indoctrination program, I think, merits a little extreme response.

While I would NEVER advocate door-to-door Atheisting, I would highly recommend the above strategy because it would allow you to show that you are solid in your knowledge and ready to defend it, and because you also believe that your message is just as important as theirs (and a third bonus; you have more balls, because they're adults picking on kids).

Viva la revolucion!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:06 am
Theophrastus
some (many) Christians believe (thanks to superstars like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Christian Coalition, etc) that being an Atheist makes you an immoral, unethical, careless, selfish monster.

Dammit! Maybe I am an immoral, unethical, careless, selfish monster... gonk

Dark_lord_15

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:26 am
Theophrastus
Well, you have to consider it in the context of the event; a child being forced to go through an indoctrination program, I think, merits a little extreme response.

While I would NEVER advocate door-to-door Atheisting, I would highly recommend the above strategy because it would allow you to show that you are solid in your knowledge and ready to defend it, and because you also believe that your message is just as important as theirs (and a third bonus; you have more balls, because they're adults picking on kids).

Viva la revolucion!

That would actually be a good idea, showing everyone that you have the balls to stand behind your beliefs and can back up everything.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:55 pm
Dark_lord_15

That's why I love you so. XD  

Theophrastus

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:27 pm
Dark_lord_15
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

Yeah.

Hey, I'm probably the most immoral, unethical, careless, selfish POS here according to the Church  

Arios V

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:26 pm
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

Yeah.

Hey, I'm probably the most immoral, unethical, careless, selfish POS here according to the Church

According to the Church my ancestors and I came from dirt and a rib....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 pm
cup_noodles

According to the Church my ancestors and I came from dirt and a rib....

And here they say that Atheists assume humble origins in the ape.  

Theophrastus

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:23 pm
Try talking to your parents....and if that doesn't work, lie your a** off.
If, end the end, you are forced to go, just make the best of it. I think it would be funny to wear orange/red contacts, dye your hair jet black, and were black clothes and see what happens. ^_^ But seriously, just go with the flow. Just nod and smile, and get through it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:27 pm
Although i may be new to this guild i do have a suggestion for this seriuos problem, Although lieing till its to late for them to send you is a choice i myself would do. in the end it would only make matters worse, unfortunally they have come up with may more options than just the conventional camps, it would get you out of that but there is always there sunday schools, youth groups, and ussually various other options your parrents seem like they would do. in a sence id say best choice is to either reason with them(although it sounds unlikely that it would work) or to willingly go(meaning the way they see it as willing) and listen to the disscutions and sermons or whatever then while your there talk to the other there and point out everything wrong with it, or should i say as i would do is, dont show them wrong but make them think, make the others there question there beliefs. you get a much better responce that way. And there are other possible outcomes

A: counsolers kick you out for the disruptions
B: unfortunatly they try harder to convert you (in that case then you start to make them question there belifs)
C: if nothing else you will at least help others to come to the same realizeation we here have. and its a way to keep sane at those camps as well.

good luck and sry for ne misspellings and the length  

Dvampirex

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:11 am
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

Yeah.

No, I am!!!! blaugh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:46 pm
Dark_lord_15
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

Yeah.

No, I am!!!! blaugh

Ok, what have you done?  

Arios V

Harvested Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:21 pm
Dathu
The hard route is to tell them that you're still young. You're on a spiritual journey right now, and what you need is understanding from them, not brain washing. You could then warn them that trying to force a belief on you will on ensure that you become worse than an Atheist, you'll become an Anti-theist, and grow to hate the very religion they forced upon you. But, if you pic the hard road, most important is to try to be civil, calm, honest, and logical. If you feel you need to, don't be afraid to write down all of your feelings on this matter, so that when you talk to them, you have written down exactly what you want to say, and if they loved you they would respect your descision and allow you to make your own choice in theology.

I second this, but have an added suggestion:

When they force you to go they will be hitting you with all sorts of hard questions there, logical fallacies, stuff like that. So take a list (mentally or paper) with you of very difficult material for Christians to answer (Bible contradictions, logical paradoxes, wanting proof of God's existence that doesn't involve circular reasoning by using the Bible, etc.) so you'll have plenty of ammo to go on the offensive when necessary. If they want you to be a believer in God it is their job to prove it to YOU, not your job to prove atheism is correct to them. Keep that in mind.

I'm sure some of the members here would love to help put together such a list for you...

But, I'll let you people speak for yourselves on my suggestion.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 am
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Theophrastus
Dark_lord_15

heart

Yeah.

No, I am!!!! blaugh

Ok, what have you done?

Not done, thought. My thoughts are as bad as any actions.

Dark_lord_15

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:41 pm
well
If you end up going
replace their weird worship music
with marilyn manson etc
that would set them off smile  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items