Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
It's hard to believe this! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:41 pm
There are faithful christians who have read the bible many times though.
Interesting fact:
Our county (Crockett County, TN) newspaper had this article about this guy who has read the bible 56 times, which means he holds the Genisis World Record for reading the bible the most times. It shows you what kind of community I come from. evil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:47 pm
I do find that strange, but I can believe it, I mean I haven't read that much of the Bible, but compared to some of the Christians who torment me, I know a lot more about it.

Also, I feel your pain, I am constantly picked on by people at school or being an Atheist.  

Arios V

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:59 pm
Arios V
I do find that strange, but I can believe it, I mean I haven't read that much of the Bible, but compared to some of the Christians who torment me, I know a lot more about it.

Also, I feel your pain, I am constantly picked on by people at school or being an Atheist.

Yeah, if I told the people where I live all of my opinions, I would be burned with all of the crops that the local Pictsweet burns...
Welcome to the guild Arios!
(this is my 600th post on this site! Yay me!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:11 pm
Dark_lord_15
Arios V

Yeah, if I told the people where I live all of my opinions, I would be burned with all of the crops that the local Pictsweet burns...

Thankfully I live in Northern Virginia, we're far more liberal and more into atheism than the rest of Virginia. However, I happened to be cursed by having three diehard Christian living on my street and they make it a habit of tormenting me about my religion.

Thanks again, this post is post 12,271 on Gaia and I think number 5 or 6 in the guild  

Arios V

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:08 pm
Well, just because he read doesn't mean he bothered to process, digest or attempt to make sense of it.

Anyone who's ever been bored in school knows how much you can read and not retain. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:23 pm
Theophrastus
Well, just because he read doesn't mean he bothered to process, digest or attempt to make sense of it.

Anyone who's ever been bored in school knows how much you can read and not retain. XD

Damn straight. It's impossible to remember something if you're bored out of your skull  

Arios V

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:13 am
I do not find it strange at all. Many of these people who are overzealous in thier religion arn't really well versed at it. It's because they get thier zealotry from attending the church, not from actually sitting down and reading the text.

I've found that those thiests who have actually read the text that they claim to live thier lifes by tend to not be overzealous and more tolerent.

Then again there is such thing as reading something and not comprehending it. Look at the Westboro Baptist Church, they use the bible, and they've read the bible, but they're twisting the text, and perverting the text just to support thier own twisted desires.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 am
Sanguvixen
I do not find it strange at all. Many of these people who are overzealous in thier religion arn't really well versed at it. It's because they get thier zealotry from attending the church, not from actually sitting down and reading the text.

I've found that those thiests who have actually read the text that they claim to live thier lifes by tend to not be overzealous and more tolerent.

Then again there is such thing as reading something and not comprehending it. Look at the Westboro Baptist Church, they use the bible, and they've read the bible, but they're twisting the text, and perverting the text just to support thier own twisted desires.

I've never heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. However they do sound just as crazy as one of the Baptist churches in my area. They changed the name of it recently so I don't know the name anymore. They talk about ways to twist society onto their way of thinking and how to beat the s**t outta Atheists and Agnostics.  

Arios V

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:06 am
Arios V
Sanguvixen

I've never heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. However they do sound just as crazy as one of the Baptist churches in my area. They changed the name of it recently so I don't know the name anymore. They talk about ways to twist society onto their way of thinking and how to beat the s**t outta Atheists and Agnostics.

The Westboro Baptist Church is that group that gets so much publicity for protesting at funerals. Why, just a few months ago, they stepped in at a funeral for a few people who's school bus flew off the interstate, claiming "God was punishing Alabama."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:52 am
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
Arios V

Thankfully I live in Northern Virginia, we're far more liberal and more into atheism than the rest of Virginia. However, I happened to be cursed by having three diehard Christian living on my street and they make it a habit of tormenting me about my religion.

Thanks again, this post is post 12,271 on Gaia and I think number 5 or 6 in the guild

I've only been on Gaia for about 3 months, so I'm still learning.
I just moved, and it appears that we are moving from a christian neighborhood to a super christian neighborhood. Still, we don't get teased or anything... I think people are afraid of us.

Dark_lord_15

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:46 pm
Arios V
Sanguvixen

The Westboro Baptist Church is kind of like a cult. Thier leader was once a drug addict and alcoholic. His daughter is just as crazy as he is.

They are well known for thier hatefulness. They protest at the funerals of dead soldiers claiming they died because god is punishing America, they praise the deaths of soldiers, they are strongly homophobic...and...

Check out these sites:

www.godhatesfags.com
www.godhatesamerican.com and
www.godhatessweden.com

That'll give you an idea of who they are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:09 pm
Good Charlotte Aficionado
Oh trust me, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I myself am reading the bible right now, and wow. I kept talking about certain verses to my mom, and she was like: ok...

Me: Have you read the bible? I mean the entire thing?

Mom: only bit's and pieces of it.

Me: *speechless* *sinks back into seat, marveling at the sheer hypocrisy*

You're correct, the best way to convert someone to Atheism is to get them to read their own damn holy book.

How. ********. Pathetic. Is. That.
I loved when I asked my mom, why does it says jealousy is a sin in the 10 commandments, but it says in Genesis that God is a JEALOUS God, and you should have no other Gods before him....what is that all about? You know what she said? God has the right to govern things he sees fit. That doesnt make sense.  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:30 pm
I always heard it was a sin for us to be jealous because, unlike God, we aren't perfect and don't have a right to question what he deems fit to give us.

Which means he's a real p***k for making people homeless, and tempting them to commit the sin of jealousy concerning people who have, oh, I don't know, a roof over their head or food in their belly.

How sinful of the homeless to want that. Selfish people.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:53 pm
Theophrastus
I always heard it was a sin for us to be jealous because, unlike God, we aren't perfect and don't have a right to question what he deems fit to give us.

Which means he's a real p***k for making people homeless, and tempting them to commit the sin of jealousy concerning people who have, oh, I don't know, a roof over their head or food in their belly.

How sinful of the homeless to want that. Selfish people.
Yeah I know.....how jealous they shouldnt be.  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:16 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen

The Westboro Baptist Church is kind of like a cult. Thier leader was once a drug addict and alcoholic. His daughter is just as crazy as he is.

They are well known for thier hatefulness. They protest at the funerals of dead soldiers claiming they died because god is punishing America, they praise the deaths of soldiers, they are strongly homophobic...and...

Check out these sites:

www.godhatesfags.com
www.godhatesamerican.com and
www.godhatessweden.com

That'll give you an idea of who they are.

Yeah, just from that description I can see what kind of people they are. Also, I have seen godhatesfags.com, it was sick.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff