Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
90% Of America Believes In God Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:21 pm
Dark_lord_15
Arios V
Soon I fear the world shall regress to the Dark Ages and ignorance and fear will once again rule the world.

@Theo:

No poll is really ever going to mention the key demographics and such. Perhaps we should conduct our own poll, then publish our findings and list all the demographics.

heart You are awesome! heart

Thanx.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:17 pm
I thought there were more atheists out there than that. Well, wow, thats just comforting. stare

I've come to the point now that I really don't care anymore. I think that there is no point in caring about the world...if change is going to happen in a good way, it's not happening in our lifetime.

At least it is good to know that more people are beginning to realize that you can be Atheist and moral at the same time. I just wish more people would be open to an Athiest being in office.

Personally I would trust an Athiest more than any theist when it comes to the office, becuase I would know that no religious dogma would get in the way of making the proper decisions.

A little off topic but: When I go out to eat on Sunday, I look at the people around me. I always wonder how many of the people I see are just getting out of church. I then usually realize that I'm probably the only Athiest in the crowd...and it always makes me feel lonely. Then I realize that life isn't always better when you are in the majority, and 1 isn't such a bad number to be.

Sanguvixen

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:40 pm
Sanguvixen
1 isn't such a bad number to be.

It's not 0 right?
C:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 pm
Sanguvixen
I thought there were more atheists out there than that. Well, wow, thats just comforting. stare

I've come to the point now that I really don't care anymore. I think that there is no point in caring about the world...if change is going to happen in a good way, it's not happening in our lifetime.

At least it is good to know that more people are beginning to realize that you can be Atheism and moral at the same time. I just wish more people would be open to an Athiest being in office.

Personally I would trust an Athiest more than any theist when it comes to the office, becuase I would know that no religious dogma would get in the way of making the proper decisions.

A little off topic but: When I go out to eat on Sunday, I look at the people around me. I always wonder how many of the people I see are just getting out of church. I then usually realize that I'm probably the only Athiest in the crowd...and it always makes me feel lonely. Then I realize that life isn't always better when you are in the majority, and 1 isn't such a bad number to be.

I would also like to see more Atheists in office. Not only do I think they'd be more trustworthy, but they would desecrate the Constitution by passing laws and amendments that are solely based off religious dogmas and that completely screw up the basic civil rights everyone is entitled to have  

Arios V

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:22 pm
Geez, only 3% are Atheist? But then you have to think of how many people are in the United States as well...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:31 pm
Hmm, I've always heard it said that to see the future of the US, we look to Europe (in terms of fashion trends, social and political thought, etc) and I hope this is true...because I've also heard that only 70% of British people believe in God, versus the 90% here.  

Quietly Losing Control

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:43 pm
AyakoSuzumiya
Hmm, I've always heard it said that to see the future of the US, we look to Europe (in terms of fashion trends, social and political thought, etc) and I hope this is true...because I've also heard that only 70% of British people believe in God, versus the 90% here.

Umm hmm. I met a couple of British girls last year, and the couldn't believe how religious America is. The funny thing they said was that from a British view, Americans are viewed as being less moral, so they were surprised by how relgious we are. What does that tell you? wink  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:52 pm
Becka Minato
Geez, only 3% are Atheist? But then you have to think of how many people are in the United States as well...

True, and as Theo was saying, this poll was not conducted to the best of standards. The demographics were not listed, so we don't know what the break down of things like race, gender, population interviewed, political party affiliation, or even where this was taken. I say we should take our own poll, and publish it and actually list all key demographics.  

Arios V

Quietly Losing Control

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:11 pm
Dathu
AyakoSuzumiya

Umm hmm. I met a couple of British girls last year, and the couldn't believe how religious America is. The funny thing they said was that from a British view, Americans are viewed as being less moral, so they were surprised by how relgious we are. What does that tell you? wink

Yes that is very ironic but not at all surprising, given the world's view on America. But stereotypes are not always untrue...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:51 pm
Dathu
AyakoSuzumiya

Click

It may not be the best video but it lays out some things.
I didn't like how it stacked up believing in God and believing in evolution as the same statistic.

cup_noodles

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:19 pm
they couldnt have possibly polled everyone in america
they probably just asked a thousand people and then did a little multiplication to make it look like they asked the whole country

I hate how everything is becoming religious
I want to move
To somewhere less religious ( I hope england)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:15 pm
I still have some hope in society. I think we're not "going down the crapper" but rising to glory.

Everyone has their own kind of logic. If evolution works for you, wonderful. If creationism works for you, wonderful. It's when you start using either as an excuse for discriminating against the other that it becomes a problem.

Polls aren't really that accurate, however. People can lie to avoid discrimination, or they can poll a bias demographic. If the source actually polled every single person in the US, the numbers would probably be a lot different.

Besides, in recent years those numbers for religion and creationism would have been a lot higher. It says a lot that in just a few years the demographic has sustained a drastic decrease. I think it's because America has become more accepting of other people, and they are therefore able to speak the truth of themselves.

I'm a student myself, and I must say that the poll isn't particularly an accurate representation of our demographics. In my school, a good portion of the students are Atheist (some closeted, but most very open).

In my honest opinion, the number of religious people will take a nosedive pretty soon. Religion is okay to question now, and quite frankly, it's not offering enough solace with all the horrible tragedies that occur on a daily basis. I'd say by 2030 the number of religious people will have shot down to 60%. Given another 30 years time and it'll be 50%, and so on.

I love my country. It's the people I can't stand. We need to stop being zealots and start being sane.  

Cirosan

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:02 pm
uh..... thank goodness that i'm in that 3% of atheists?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:59 pm
darkwolf possession
they couldnt have possibly polled everyone in america
they probably just asked a thousand people and then did a little multiplication to make it look like they asked the whole country

I hate how everything is becoming religious
I want to move
To somewhere less religious ( I hope england)

I bet they only interviewed a handful of people or they probably just made it up. I'm guessing the latter of the two.

I hate how everything is becoming religious as well, I may move, but I think I'll wait just a little while longer. Once the last barrier between Church & State goes, I'm gone.  

Arios V

Cirosan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:45 pm
Arios V
I bet they only interviewed a handful of people or they probably just made it up. I'm guessing the latter of the two.

I hate how everything is becoming religious as well, I may move, but I think I'll wait just a little while longer. Once the last barrier between Church & State goes, I'm gone.

I seriously doubt that will ever happen. The only states that would have a majority that wanted that would be in the Bible Belt, and that's only, what, nine states? Besides, there's not an overwhelming majority of high-ranking politicians that want that either.

Not all of America is religious to the point of being a zealot, either. I live in Kentucky, part of the Bible Belt, and surprisingly, very few people are anti gay marriage. Their logic? God hates the sin, not the sinner. Therefore, he doesn't hate gay people. Isn't that stance almost completely against the "religious right" movement?

In addition, President Bush, a true zealot in every definition of the word, has a 33% approval rating, and it's rapidly dropping. That means two-thirds of all people involved and interested in politics are not zealots (otherwise they would support one). That's an overwhelming majority, and logic tells you that those two-thirds would never allow things of that severity.

True, America is on the decline because of the actions of Bush, who is currently waging a war of terror, a war on freedoms, and a war on free will. I have no doubt that following generations and historians will regard Bush as the worst President in American history. That being said, America will regain and recover the freedoms it has lost to this madman. And after that, religion will slowly be drained from government and public life.

Religion simply isn't offering enough solace for all the horrible things that happen in this world. I'll wager the next generation will have a lot more kids who don't believe in any higher power that would have the good die young, the evil life forever, and children be born only to suffer for their few short years and then die.

It's only a matter of time.

(Also, Arios, it appears we both have outfits that are very similar! You know what that means: Fashiondome! Two men enter, one man leaves...)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff