Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheism AS religion? please. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In your point of view, is atheism a religion?
  Yes (please elaborate)
  Absolutely not.
View Results

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:20 am
Arios V
Dark_lord_15
No! Atheism is NOT A RELIGION!!!!!!! It's not our falt if the idiot christians can't see that. Dammit! Why can't everyone see that we don't want to be classified, and we don't want anything to do with religion?
(P.S.- I'm feeling kind of down right now, and it's begining to turn in to excessive swearing. I apologize.)

Not a problem. If you want you can PM me and I'll see if I can help.

No, I'm doing a little better. I'm just really annoyed at everyone I know asking me if I want to go to their Passion Play, or if I know how jesus is crucified. I had just got back from church when I wrote that, so that kind of explains it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:11 pm
To me a religion is a system of beliefs centered around a god or a group of gods in the idea that those gods or that group of gods exists. Religion requires the idea of believing in a god.

Atheism is not a set of beliefs. Athiesm is not centered around the idea of a god or a group of gods actually existing. It is as simple shared belief that there is no such thing as gods. Gods are not real.

It still amuses me when people try to say Athiesm is a religion.

In the terms of any real dictionary out there, Athiesm does not follow the set standards for religion, and does not meet the necessary requirements to be a religion.

Athiesm is not a religion...enough said?

Sanguvixen

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:31 pm
I was in another guild, and it asked to define god, and I quite liked my definition seeing as how it of the top of my head. Sooooo....
I
I voted no. I am a strict atheist, and nothing short of a god reaching down and slapping me on the face is going to budge me. Peroid.

God (my definition)- A character said to have a hand in the making of the earth. Has followers who do it's bidding, and fight wiht the belivers of other gods. (also) Hott guy or girl.
lol, that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:44 pm
Sanguvixen
To me a religion is a system of beliefs centered around a god or a group of gods in the idea that those gods or that group of gods exists. Religion requires the idea of believing in a god.

Atheism is not a set of beliefs. Athiesm is not centered around the idea of a god or a group of gods actually existing. It is as simple shared belief that there is no such thing as gods. Gods are not real.

In the terms of any real dictionary out there, Athiesm does not follow the set standards for religion, and does not meet the necessary requirements to be a religion.

Nuff said, but it is still hard for the religious people out there to process that infromation.  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:53 pm
Sho-NUFF!
Sanguvixen

Nuff said, but it is still hard for the religious people out there to process that infromation.

Well, usually the people I come across who try to argue Athiesm as a religion are either A: Very young, and don't actually understand what they are trying to preach, B: Overzealous when it comes to thier religion, or C: A full blown religiously motivated hypocrite.

It's a matter of maturity, understanding what you believe in, and not taking things to the extreme. So...I don't meet very many people who claim "Atheism is a religion" and I'm happy for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 am
Sanguvixen

Well, usually the people I come across who try to argue Athiesm as a religion are either A: Very young, and don't actually understand what they are trying to preach, B: Overzealous when it comes to thier religion, or C: A full blown religiously motivated hypocrite.

When ever I've encountered it, the assertion seems to be of the attempted condescension variety.
They say it like they want me to have some sort of breakthrough moment when I realize I've been taking part in the exact thing I'm railing against. They say it like they want me to feel embarrassed for my charade.
It's truly very infantile.

hachimitsugirl

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:45 pm
I dont think atheism can be considered a religion because we believe in nothing and we dont have any sort of religious practices or days that pretty much all theistic religions do.

I would think that from another persons view (the person being a christian) is that they would consider atheism something like an alternative to religion
I dont know if it makes sense to you
But it makes a little to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:46 pm
hachimitsugirl
Sanguvixen

When ever I've encountered it, the assertion seems to be of the attempted condescension variety.
They say it like they want me to have some sort of breakthrough moment when I realize I've been taking part in the exact thing I'm railing against. They say it like they want me to feel embarrassed for my charade.

Well, I think they think they are being clever. Only...it's not working. Sometimes they figure that out...or get faced with a dictionary. The "Uh-oh, my thing turned against me" kicks in.

Sanguvixen

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:45 pm
Sanguvixen
hachimitsugirl
Sanguvixen

Well, I think they think they are being clever. Only...it's not working. Sometimes they figure that out...or get faced with a dictionary. The "Uh-oh, my thing turned against me" kicks in.

Oh, of course - they think they're being devestatingly clever.
What's infuriating is that they think they're the smart ones in the equation.
The Religious are convinced that they've been "let in" on the secrets of the universe by way of a supernatural text and that atheists are being stupid for ignoring the obvious "truth."

Therefore, I've never been so lucky to witness any of them backing down in this argument.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:11 pm
darkwolf possession
I dont think atheism can be considered a religion because we believe in nothing and we dont have any sort of religious practices or days that pretty much all theistic religions do.

I would think that from another persons view (the person being a christian) is that they would consider atheism something like an alternative to religion
I dont know if it makes sense to you
But it makes a little to me.

Yes, the alternate plan for religion...
You know how they (being christians) are always trying to convert us, and tell us that we are wrong? Why don't the do that to muslims, and people who are actually dangerous to them, or us for that matter? Are they afraid of the muslims? Do they think we aren't going to do anything to them if they don't get off our asses? They preach, but the don't do what they say they would. If they were doing as much work as they say they were, then they would all be somewhere over in Africa. ******** hypocrytes.

Dark_lord_15

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 pm
You know what's even funnier? The ones that say not only is Atheism a religion, but science is our god.

My dad thinks it's a religion because it requires faith. Me: yes, lacking a belief in a god requires faith. Well actually, I'm an explicit Atheist, so that doesn't apply to me.

Other's say it has to do with a spiritual belief, so it must be a religion. You guys have already made awesome analogies to this though.

Have you ever heard the opposite, Atheism is an abstinence from religion? I think that one is stupid too, haven't they ever heard of Buddism?

To summerize, a lot of Theists and/or religious people are pretty stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 pm
hachimitsugirl
Sanguvixen
hachimitsugirl
Sanguvixen

Oh, of course - they think they're being devestatingly clever.
What's infuriating is that they think they're the smart ones in the equation.
The Religious are convinced that they've been "let in" on the secrets of the universe by way of a supernatural text and that atheists are being stupid for ignoring the obvious "truth."

Therefore, I've never been so lucky to witness any of them backing down in this argument.

Something worth pointing out, a lot of thiests mix up the idea of Faith when applying it to Atheism. So that where part of thier faulty logic comes from.

They think that it requires faith to not believe...because you are putting "Faith" into an idea that hasn't been proven. It hasn't been proven that god exists or doesn't exist, so on that level it gets edgy.

They are the ones going on about a deity that they made up, and believe in, and when we say we don't believe in thier god, they think it takes faith to believe in the idea of thier god not being real. I don't get it...but... burning_eyes It all comes down to knowing your material, and definations.

Sanguvixen

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Good Charlotte Aficionado
You know what's even funnier? The ones that say not only is Atheism a religion, but science is our god.

You mean you don't pray to Stephen Hawking and Niels Bohr every day? BLASPHEMER! eek

Quote:
My dad thinks it's a religion because it requires faith. Me: yes, lacking a belief in a god requires faith. Well actually, I'm an explicit Atheist, so that doesn't apply to me.

Believing just about any claim requires a certain amount of faith, and there are certain things we hear every day and believe without explicit proof. But there's a distinct difference between intelligent faith (i.e. common sense) and blind religious faith.

For instance, if I told you that I ate a baked potato for lunch yesterday, then you'd probably have no reason not to believe me; it's a common, ordinary claim, and it carries no hidden consequences or implications. On the other hand, if I told you that I became a baked potato yesterday, then you'd probably ask me to demonstrate my superpowers, because I've made an extraordinary claim with real implications and consequences. Eating happens every day, but how often do you see someone turn into a vegetable? Same thing with God; the question of whether or not God exists is a question loaded with consequences and implications, and you have to [rationally] get those out of the way before the existence of God can be proven.

Quote:
Other's say it has to do with a spiritual belief, so it must be a religion. You guys have already made awesome analogies to this though.

Have you ever heard the opposite, Atheism is an abstinence from religion? I think that one is stupid too, haven't they ever heard of Buddism?

Like I always say... atheism is a religion just as slacking is a career, masturbation is a baby, and $0 can secure an early retirement.

And I don't exactly consider Buddhism to be a religion, but just a spiritual philosophy. If the Buddhists worshiped a deity, then it could be a religion, but as far as I know, (and correct me if I'm wrong) Buddha is not considered a god.

Quote:
To summerize, a lot of Theists and/or religious people are pretty stupid.

Not necessarily stupid... just mostly closed-minded. I actually know quite a few intelligent theists that are open to debate. But the one thing they will never do is actually think about why they believe what they believe. Arguing with theists is often like arguing with plugged-in vacuum cleaners. They'll make a lot of noise, and they won't know why. And they definitely won't let you get through to them.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:18 pm
Semper Fiasco

Not necessarily stupid... just mostly closed-minded. I actually know quite a few intelligent theists that are open to debate. But the one thing they will never do is actually think about why they believe what they believe. Arguing with theists is often like arguing with plugged-in vacuum cleaners. They'll make a lot of noise, and they won't know why. And they definitely won't let you get through to them.

I became unfortunately embroiled in what I took to be a pleasant discussion with a classmate of mine. She made it known (in our anth of religion lecture) that she was raised without a religion but upon adult-age, decided to become a staunch Catholic.
I was obviously weirded out.
And intrigued.
But mostly weirded out.
I can tell you: it didn't take long for her to erect the faith-brickwall, beyond which there was no penetration.
Rational discussion had been officially excised from her portfolio upon catechism, apparently.

hachimitsugirl

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:56 am
No, atheism is not a religion because that would require believing in something supernatural. However, atheism IS a faith. Simply because, like religious faiths, you are taking a stance on the existance of a supernatural being or beings, or lack there of. You can't prove that there is no god, so by taking a side, you are taking a leap of faith equally large to the leap taken by those who believe that there is a god.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff