Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Creationist leader uses VA Tech killings to push agenda Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:26 pm
That's the crux of their arguments, really; passion in the place of logic. Despicable, truly.

McCarthy was an equivalent to a social Eugenist; both arguments make sense only as long as you don't try to think about them. The moment you begin to investigate Neoconservatism, religion or any other zealous mob mentality you are in dire risk of realizing it's a handful of hot turds.

Unfortunately, the followers seem to think, "Well, why should I try to see if it makes sense? LaHaye and Jenkins/Falwell/Robertson/Rove already did that for me! I can trust them, cuz they promote morality!"

What the bloody hell does that word even mean?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:31 pm
It may be a little off-topic, or on topic. I don't know...but don't dare anyone blame this whole event on Video-games.

Video-games don't make you pull a trigger, and if you are not yet mentally developed to the point of drawing a clear cut line between fantasy and reality in your head, than you don't need to be playing a video-game, let alone buying a pair of guns.

Why is it that every time something bad happens when it comes to these things, that one of the first things they look at is a way to incorperate video-games as a scape-goat?

Sanguvixen

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:20 pm
I can't see that the Right Wing takes games as a threat except that kids are usually far more interested in them than curchly twattle.

I guess that's the problem; they realize that they're so boring that they, as human beings, parents, leaders, have become less interesting than fantasy worlds.

When children are able to see that worlds so richly flavored and full of detail are capable of being made by a handful of guys in a year, then the Bible suddenly looks dim and silly. Just another fantasy. At that point the kids *GASP* realize that they should question such presumptuous texts and begin to *HORROR* think for themselves! Control their own actions. Guide their own fate!

Oh, the Humanism!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Theophrastus
I can't see that the Right Wing takes games as a threat except that kids are usually far more interested in them than curchly twattle.

I guess that's the problem; they realize that they're so boring that they, as human beings, parents, leaders, have become less interesting than fantasy worlds.

When children are able to see that worlds so richly flavored and full of detail are capable of being made by a handful of guys in a year, then the Bible suddenly looks dim and silly. Just another fantasy. At that point the kids *GASP* realize that they should question such presumptuous texts and begin to *HORROR* think for themselves! Control their own actions. Guide their own fate!

Oh, the Humanism!

I never thought about video games that way, but after reading what you just said and thinking about it for a few minutes, it does make a little bit of sense. The right-wingers are scared that these video games are causing their children to actually stand up for themselves and think about the world, and most likely to escape from the boring rhetoric of their parents preaching.  

Arios V

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:14 pm
Arios V
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

I never thought about video games that way, but after reading what you just said and thinking about it for a few minutes, it does make a little bit of sense. The right-wingers are scared that these video games are causing their children to actually stand up for themselves and think about the world, and most likely to escape from the boring rhetoric of their parents preaching.

It's not just republicans working against video games... It seems democrats have the same vigor for taking out anything fun... like tag... at recess. Now they are targeting contact sports like soccer.

You might make a child cry because you kicked the ball at them. We aren't a bunch of pansies. People need to learn to take a little in their day.

Sorry to get a little off topic but it is related.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Jessica Malatori
Arios V
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

It's not just republicans working against video games... It seems democrats have the same vigor for taking out anything fun... like tag... at recess. Now they are targeting contact sports like soccer.

You might make a child cry because you kicked the ball at them. We aren't a bunch of pansies. People need to learn to take a little in their day.

Oh I read something about that "Tag" report, utter bull if you ask me, it states that kids how are playing tag can become depressed or that it lowers their self esteem. Due to the fact that they have to run away from a certain person or something like that.  

Dissnitive Blade

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:33 pm
I run away from Neocons and it makes me happy: better health and I get to see their beet-red-faced frustration at not being able to shoot me witness the Gospel to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:53 pm
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Come to think of it that does make partial sense. The ability to think for oneself, and to think outside the box is condemned by some theistic groups, or at least sub-groups. As a whole though I just think parents are getting lazy when it comes to parenting.

So many people want to use video-games as a scape-goat...because it is an easy way to try to point the finger away from the one who is really to blame when kids go bad.

"Violent Video-games cause kids to violent." Nah...really? It couldn't be the ease in which people can get thier hands on guns, could it?

Sanguvixen

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:08 pm
Theophrastus
I run away from Neocons and it makes me happy: better health and I get to see their beet-red-faced frustration at not being able to shoot me witness the Gospel to me.

lmao. That was great.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:44 pm
murasame blade
Jessica Malatori
Arios V
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Oh I read something about that "Tag" report, utter bull if you ask me, it states that kids how are playing tag can become depressed or that it lowers their self esteem. Due to the fact that they have to run away from a certain person or something like that.

Tag and all those "recess" games kids play are actually beneficial to their development, it teaches them to think faster and improves their alertness and reaction time. On top of that, it gives them exercise.

@Jessica: Yes, I do know there are many democrats out there that are trying to eliminate stuff like this as well, but it's mostly the republicans (Well for me at least) I hear about who are doing this stuff.  

Arios V

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:47 pm
Arios V
murasame blade
Jessica Malatori
Arios V
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Tag and all those "recess" games kids play are actually beneficial to their development, it teaches them to think faster and improves their alertness and reaction time. On top of that, it gives them exercise.

@Jessica: Yes, I do know there are many democrats out there that are trying to eliminate stuff like this as well, but it's mostly the republicans (Well for me at least) I hear about who are doing this stuff.

Both are guilty I guess lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:51 pm
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Come to think of it that does make partial sense. The ability to think for oneself, and to think outside the box is condemned by some theistic groups, or at least sub-groups. As a whole though I just think parents are getting lazy when it comes to parenting.

So many people want to use video-games as a scape-goat...because it is an easy way to try to point the finger away from the one who is really to blame when kids go bad.

"Violent Video-games cause kids to violent." Nah...really? It couldn't be the ease in which people can get thier hands on guns, could it?

That's the way it is with just about everything, people are unwilling to blame the parents (Or whatever parental figure the child may be living with) whenever they do something wrong because they didn't bother to teach their kid right from wrong or never punished them whenever they did something wrong. They find it a lot easier to blame things such as the music they listen to, the video games they play, the TV shows they watch, etc..

Speaking of video games, why is it that parents throw such a fit when they see their child playing M-Rated video games. Last time I checked, you need to be at least 17 or older to buy an M-Rated video game (I know that in Virginia you do). So how do these 13 & 14-year olds get these games? More often then not it's the parents who get it for them. Hell, it even says on the back of the box in big bold letters, what the game is rated and what's in it.  

Arios V

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Arios V
murasame blade
Jessica Malatori
Arios V
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Exactly I agree with your statement, that why I think all that research is a bunch of crap.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:52 am
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

That's the way it is with just about everything, people are unwilling to blame the parents (Or whatever parental figure the child may be living with) whenever they do something wrong because they didn't bother to teach their kid right from wrong or never punished them whenever they did something wrong. They find it a lot easier to blame things such as the music they listen to, the video games they play, the TV shows they watch, etc..

Speaking of video games, why is it that parents throw such a fit when they see their child playing M-Rated video games. Last time I checked, you need to be at least 17 or older to buy an M-Rated video game (I know that in Virginia you do). So how do these 13 & 14-year olds get these games? More often then not it's the parents who get it for them. Hell, it even says on the back of the box in big bold letters, what the game is rated and what's in it.

Yeah, well if they want to make kids less violent the might think about actual parenting. Going around playing scape-goat won't change anything.

I am a gamer. I know, being a girl it might be hard for others to believe, but I love video-games. So I'm pretty regular at quite a few video-game stores in my area. Let me tell something to you, parents don't care about the rating system.

I can't even begin to count the amount of times I see parents buying M rated games for kids who are 13 and under. Even when the person at the cash register tells them that those games aren't for people of that age...they blow them off. They don't care. That is why kids are getting thier hands of games that are M rated...when they are 14 and below. The funny thing is that they don't care now, but when something goes wrong, the first they they are going to do is claim that video-games made thier kid violent.

Sanguvixen

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:43 pm
While sifting through my daily news, I encountered a very interesting read.

An Atheist at Virginia Tech

The article speaks of one professor's response to a very ignorant man already starting up crap about Atheists and Virginia Tech.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff