Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Discrimination Against Chinese Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are Americans Nasty?
  All Americans are Nasty
  Most of Americans are Nasty
  Some Americans are Nasty
  None of Americans are Nasty
View Results

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:03 pm
[Bab! Co.]
xu650863441
[Bab! Co.]
t0shi0
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Really?

Then it must be because Toronto is so Asian populated that no one really cares.

: P

Haha, same here, its cuz most asians here are all white-washed. sweatdrop

when you said "white washed" do you mean they do not have Chinese culture, but white culture?

Nope. I meant is that they're Chinese, born in non-asian country, but like they don't act Chinese, they dress like gangsters and all white...no asian in their background, except for their parents. Also, they listen to english music, no Chinese or whatsoever. That's why I want go Hong Kong or Japan. ^_^Y

Hmm...very interesting.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:04 pm
ze noodle.
    Americans are ignorant retards. Everyone should know that. surprised

But seriously, I'm really sorry that happened to you. D:

I don't really get much discrimination. Possibly because there is a very small population of Chinese in my area, and plus nowadays the media's starting to stop stereotyping Asians like they used to. =D Although, here people think Asians are perfect at everything. D: But the people who grew up with the stereotypes will probably continue to follow the stereotypes.

(Ching chong and all that crap is apparently what ignorant non-Asian people, like Rosie O' Donnell, think Chinese sounds like. =/ And "c***k" was a racial slur for Chinese, or East Asians in general, but it's rarely used as a racial slur anymore.)

Thanks.
How did the Media stereotype Asians?  

Etaf Evael

` T a p i o c a `

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:07 pm
xu650863441
` T a p i o c a `
User ImageI just had my ex-friend being racist to me yesterday >.>

Calling me chopticks and ching chong chips. Made me wanna punch him right in the face...too bad I was in the reception room of my school and my best friend was there ready to hold me back >.>

Apparently even my best friend had been racist to chinese people in the past, making fun of em when she saw em saying ching chong or chinkies >.>

I hate racial discrimination D=<

I get the feeling that racism is much worse in American then in England >.>;;;

I am really skinny but no one has called me chopsticks or ching chong. what is ching chong chips or chinkies anyway?

User ImageHe just randomly came up with ching chong chips

c***k or Chinkie is slang term for Chinese people

Chinky is an offensive slang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 pm
    Whenever they would show an East Asian before, chances are they spoke with a very heavy accent (not that accents are something to be ashamed of, but the way Americans depicted it seemed to be blown way out of proportions and made Asians seem stupid ><), had horrible teeth, and owned a restaurant. Basically like William Hung. But now they don't do that much anymore, at least I think. Asians are cast as lead roles and the fact that they're Asian isn't emphasized.

a polka dot

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:26 pm
@xu's OP - That is.. really quite disgusting. The behaviour of such a man. Why the hell did he marry a Chinese woman, in that case? I don't get it. neutral

I'm also in the UK, and I must say I haven't had that much discrimination // or maybe I just don't remember.. of course occasional brats on the street, but it's just stupid really. Those people are just short-sighted and utterly not worth our attention. xP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 pm
Niphz
@xu's OP - That is.. really quite disgusting. The behaviour of such a man. Why the hell did he marry a Chinese woman, in that case? I don't get it. neutral

That is something that puzzles me too. @_@

I was born and raised (and still living!) in Vancouver my whole life. Vancouver, has a very large population, especially after 1997 when many (wealthy) people came from Hong Kong because of the fear of China taking over Hong Kong. A lot of the culture from Hong Kong has been brought over to Vancouver and a lot of the areas surrounding it, especially in Richmond where it's pretty much the Hong Kong of Canada as the majority there are Chinese. While yes there are a few discriminations here and there and stereotypes as well, I don't find it as much as say in the States. Then again, this might be because I'm a second generation Chinese Canadian who can understand Cantonese, but can't speak it unless I'm put into a situation where the other person can only speak Cantonese (like my grandmother for instance). @_@

That actually reminds me now. In school, we did some readings on Chinese Canadian history in English class. We read Diamond Grill by Fred Wah. I think quite a few can relate to it, even though the whole thing was during the 1960s (or was it 70s?) as well as reading Chinese Canadian poems.  

Rosamaine

Tipsy Elder

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:13 pm
ze noodle.
    Whenever they would show an East Asian before, chances are they spoke with a very heavy accent (not that accents are something to be ashamed of, but the way Americans depicted it seemed to be blown way out of proportions and made Asians seem stupid ><), had horrible teeth, and owned a restaurant. Basically like William Hung. But now they don't do that much anymore, at least I think. Asians are cast as lead roles and the fact that they're Asian isn't emphasized.

Jackie Chang is an Asian, and everybody likes Jackie Chang. I've heard when Jackie Chang used to work together with Gruce Lee in the movies in China. But after Gruce Lee died, Jackie Chang played as Gruce Lee. Later on Jackie Chang wanted to make his own movies. He came to America, then the movie firm changed Jackie Chang's face so he looked more handsome. But later on Jackie Chang wanted to go back to China. The movie firm in America used American Mafia to threaten him if he leave he die. So Jackie Chang stayed.
I don't know if this is true or not.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:15 pm
Niphz

I'm also in the UK, and I must say I haven't had that much discrimination // or maybe I just don't remember.. of course occasional brats on the street, but it's just stupid really. Those people are just short-sighted and utterly not worth our attention. xP

He took all my mother's paychecks, maybe that's why.  

Etaf Evael

the fire within ice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:23 pm
in your case, xu, i think you and your mother could have gotten some legal help for child abuse or something closer to that.
i think discriminations happen everywhere, its a part of our defense mechanism, we see something we are not familiar with and we automatically form a biased point of view. its very depressing in a way, and whenever i think bout this i miss home, because frankly, there is no way you will completely fit in, because even if people try to look beyond your colour, they cant completely ignore this fact, everyone judge eachother on their physical feature unconsciously. i think to make our life easier, we should just act together and improve our "sterotype", so even if the others want to pick on us, they cant, cauz there will be nothing to pick on! xd  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 pm
Nowadays, we don't get very much rascism against Chinese or Asians in general since we actually are the majority of the area, close following Americans.

However, in my childhood when there were there weren't as many coming to America, there were many cases of discrimination. Where I used to live, there were only a handful of people that were Chinese. Many Americans made fun of us, saying "ching chong" whenever they passed by us or laughed when we were eating "weird" lunches with chopsticks or the sort. I also had a slight accent when I first came to school here, so people also made fun of me for that.

I'm SO glad I'm where I'm living now, regarding discrimination against race anyways. But now that I live where everyone looks down on you if you are not doing as well as them academically, I can't say I'm living in a perfect place. But no place is perfect.

User Image

xoCrow

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:02 pm
Rosamaine
Niphz

That is something that puzzles me too. @_@

I was born and raised (and still living!) in Vancouver my whole life. Vancouver, has a very large population, especially after 1997 when many (wealthy) people came from Hong Kong because of the fear of China taking over Hong Kong. A lot of the culture from Hong Kong has been brought over to Vancouver and a lot of the areas surrounding it, especially in Richmond where it's pretty much the Hong Kong of Canada as the majority there are Chinese. While yes there are a few discriminations here and there and stereotypes as well, I don't find it as much as say in the States. Then again, this might be because I'm a second generation Chinese Canadian who can understand Cantonese, but can't speak it unless I'm put into a situation where the other person can only speak Cantonese (like my grandmother for instance). @_@

That actually reminds me now. In school, we did some readings on Chinese Canadian history in English class. We read Diamond Grill by Fred Wah. I think quite a few can relate to it, even though the whole thing was during the 1960s (or was it 70s?) as well as reading Chinese Canadian poems.

Ooooo a Gaia MOD!! And living in Vancouver too, gosh, I j'dore Richmond. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:09 pm
the fire within ice
in your case, xu, i think you and your mother could have gotten some legal help for child abuse or something closer to that.
i think discriminations happen everywhere, its a part of our defense mechanism, we see something we are not familiar with and we automatically form a biased point of view. its very depressing in a way, and whenever i think bout this i miss home, because frankly, there is no way you will completely fit in, because even if people try to look beyond your colour, they cant completely ignore this fact, everyone judge eachother on their physical feature unconsciously. i think to make our life easier, we should just act together and improve our "sterotype", so even if the others want to pick on us, they cant, cauz there will be nothing to pick on! xd

We are not familiar with what helps we can get. My mother applied I360 child abuse form so I can get a green card. But that was denied because the application was after my mother's divorce. Now I don't have a SSN, I can't work, my mother has to pay for everything. I wish the world is different.
I also miss home, too. I had much more freedom in China than in America. American government emphsizes freedom and I came to America to have less freedom. It's sarcastic, really.  

Etaf Evael

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:16 pm
xoCrow
Nowadays, we don't get very much rascism against Chinese or Asians in general since we actually are the majority of the area, close following Americans.

However, in my childhood when there were there weren't as many coming to America, there were many cases of discrimination. Where I used to live, there were only a handful of people that were Chinese. Many Americans made fun of us, saying "ching chong" whenever they passed by us or laughed when we were eating "weird" lunches with chopsticks or the sort. I also had a slight accent when I first came to school here, so people also made fun of me for that.

I'm SO glad I'm where I'm living now, regarding discrimination against race anyways. But now that I live where everyone looks down on you if you are not doing as well as them academically, I can't say I'm living in a perfect place. But no place is perfect.

User Image

sorry to hear that.
The place you live sounds like Beijing where I lived when I was in China. When I was in middle school there, the parents make you study, the school makes you study, the pressure from the society makes you study. Everybody is like a nerd and a geek. In 9th grade the teachers from the 5 major classes(Math, English, Chinese, Physics, Chemistry) each give you 2 tons of homework a day. I remeber I spend hours doing my homework.
But when I came to America, the school is so easy. Now I have a 4.0 CPA. in my college.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:00 pm
xu650863441
xoCrow

User Image

sorry to hear that.
The place you live sounds like Beijing where I lived when I was in China. When I was in middle school there, the parents make you study, the school makes you study, the pressure from the society makes you study. Everybody is like a nerd and a geek. In 9th grade the teachers from the 5 major classes(Math, English, Chinese, Physics, Chemistry) each give you 2 tons of homework a day. I remeber I spend hours doing my homework.
But when I came to America, the school is so easy. Now I have a 4.0 CPA. in my college.

Wow. Yeah, everyone from Beijing is smart once they come to Canada or US. I envy them sometimes.  

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:39 pm
[Bab! Co.]
xu650863441
xoCrow

User Image

sorry to hear that.

Wow. Yeah, everyone from Beijing is smart once they come to Canada or US. I envy them sometimes.

lol send your children to Beijing for elementary-high school, then let them come to Canada or US and you will be proud of them smile  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff