Reply Atalantë - A new beginning
Christopher Paolini Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 pm
Polani's style is much simpler than Tolkein, and he doesn't have the same depth. His books don't give the impression of a much larger world of which the reader is only seeing a part of. Admitedly that is a quality that is lacking in all but the most epic stories (i.e. Tolkein, Jordan). He is aiming for a younger audience, so it is difficult to compare the books, but that is not my problem with his books, which can be enjoyed if you don't think about them. My problem is all the blatent rip-offs from Tolkein. To be inspired by Tolkein is one thing, but to rip-off his work is another entirely.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:01 pm
What makes me mad at Poalini is my friends won't even try to read Lord of the Rings because they think it could never be as good as Inheratance.

When I first read Inheritance I thought the books were okay in spite of the fact that I had to cringe several times when I thought I had just read a direct quote from LotR. They weren't very well written either. But they were entertaining and very fun to poke fun at.

Now how could I possibly even remotely like something that is keeping people away from Tolkien.  

frozennight

3,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

Menegil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:25 pm
Paolini must die.

Period.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:47 pm
I actually enjoyed the first book. neutral You know... that sort of easy, mindless fun reading that has it's own particular charm.

I couldn't get more than a sentence into the second one. It just... didn't draw me at all. I'll look elsewhere for mindless stories.  

Rhaella

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 am
Menegil
Paolini must die.

Period.

RIGHT ON!  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:55 am
Nimphelos
I actually enjoyed the first book. neutral You know... that sort of easy, mindless fun reading that has it's own particular charm.

I couldn't get more than a sentence into the second one. It just... didn't draw me at all. I'll look elsewhere for mindless stories.

I remember breezing through the book within one or two days. Then I just didn't pick it up again...reading it properly would have probably killed my brain. Kind of ironic to call a book of that size light reading.....=P

Third one could be interesting, really hoping that he'll have improved, but with his "success" having his book turned into a movie...who knows. I hope there is no movie sequel....if there is it'll be amazing how they'll have to stuff everything in to make it fit...I'll stop there...there was so many faults with the movie its not funny.

I actually thing the Inheritance series would have done much better as a picture book =P I like pretty pictures.  

Rudhe
Captain

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:31 pm
The idea itself is not bad, he just didn't develope it well.

Frankly, I don't know how they would make the sequel into a movie. They screwed the first one up so bad it was the biggest waste of six dollars I have ever made.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:48 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
Menegil
Paolini must die.

Period.

RIGHT ON!
Good.

Arm yourself. That drunken wastrel defiler of all things literate must perish at the end of a blade while swallowing boiling oil and having an indian rip off his next-to-nonexistant scalp.

If you can find some other type of painful death for this desecrator of the fantasy genre and this offender of the young-writer ways... name it. NOW.

As a young author myself, I feel disgusted to the very core of my being for reading the insultive, thieving writings that good-for-nothing knat concocted.

Seriously. The guy obviously ripped off Star Wars. Not to mention Tolkien's MOST HOLY WRITINGS! AND THE WRITINGS OF MANY OTHER WORTHY AUTHORS!

IN THIS MOST HOLY GROUND NAMED NUMENORE, I, MENEGIL, CURSE THEE, CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI, TO THE VERY ENDS OF THE DARKEST ABYSS OF THIS EXISTENCE!! =_=

Now that that is vented out...

The idea itself, dear Sakura, is s**t. I have no other word to describe it. It is so shitty the wastrel chose to go plagarize the works of great authors in order to disguize just how shitty and how self-centered "it" (I dare not mention that creature as having any sort of humanly-discernable gender beyond that of a monster) is.

I do not know how his a** has not been sued a hundredfold and his fortune ripped away with the snap of a judge's finger. This is obvious intellectual theft. OBVIOUS.

Well. I have an armory full of death-dealing objects. It was for my conquer-the-world campaign... but patience. This will have to do. =_,=  

Menegil
Vice Captain

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:11 am
Sakura Uzamachi
The idea itself is not bad, he just didn't develope it well.

Frankly, I don't know how they would make the sequel into a movie. They screwed the first one up so bad it was the biggest waste of six dollars I have ever made.

Hahaha, six bucks isn't bad though, our average price for a movie ticket is $10...and in some places, that WITH a discount :XP:

I was smart and read the reviews rants before considering whether to see it. After I wouldn't even consider borrowing it from library for free....  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm
Good.

Stay away from it.

Else your head will be the next on my vast collection =_o  

Menegil
Vice Captain

Twilit Requiem

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:44 am
Rudhheniel
Nimphelos

I remember breezing through the book within one or two days. Then I just didn't pick it up again...reading it properly would have probably killed my brain. Kind of ironic to call a book of that size light reading.....=P

Third one could be interesting, really hoping that he'll have improved, but with his "success" having his book turned into a movie...who knows. I hope there is no movie sequel....if there is it'll be amazing how they'll have to stuff everything in to make it fit...I'll stop there...there was so many faults with the movie its not funny.

I actually thing the Inheritance series would have done much better as a picture book =P I like pretty pictures.

I went to go see it with a whole bunch of my friends. We took up two rows in the theatre, and one of my friends had to sit on the floor xD
The ones that hadn't read the book didn't find it bad. Myself and my friend who was sitting infront of me were constantly taling to each other through the whole movie. During the battle, we were trying hard not to laugh our heads off. One of my friends had a go at us for talking xD It wasn't a waste of $11 (damn movies are expensive x.x), 'cause I had so much fun laughing at it.
We were, however, dissapointed that the movie hadn't even finished and they'd already ruined any chance of a sequel. They stuffed the ending up good.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Menegil
Galadedrid Damodred
Menegil
Paolini must die.

Period.

RIGHT ON!
Good.

Arm yourself. That drunken wastrel defiler of all things literate must perish at the end of a blade while swallowing boiling oil and having an indian rip off his next-to-nonexistant scalp.

If you can find some other type of painful death for this desecrator of the fantasy genre and this offender of the young-writer ways... name it. NOW.

As a young author myself, I feel disgusted to the very core of my being for reading the insultive, thieving writings that good-for-nothing knat concocted.

Seriously. The guy obviously ripped off Star Wars. Not to mention Tolkien's MOST HOLY WRITINGS! AND THE WRITINGS OF MANY OTHER WORTHY AUTHORS!

IN THIS MOST HOLY GROUND NAMED NUMENORE, I, MENEGIL, CURSE THEE, CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI, TO THE VERY ENDS OF THE DARKEST ABYSS OF THIS EXISTENCE!! =_=

Now that that is vented out...

The idea itself, dear Sakura, is s**t. I have no other word to describe it. It is so shitty the wastrel chose to go plagarize the works of great authors in order to disguize just how shitty and how self-centered "it" (I dare not mention that creature as having any sort of humanly-discernable gender beyond that of a monster) is.

I do not know how his a** has not been sued a hundredfold and his fortune ripped away with the snap of a judge's finger. This is obvious intellectual theft. OBVIOUS.

Well. I have an armory full of death-dealing objects. It was for my conquer-the-world campaign... but patience. This will have to do. =_,=

OH! I could set my sister on him! Usually, she's the sweetest little thing, but when she gets mad, she can make the Earth part like some miraculous thing from the Bible, or the Akallabeth! Or we could carve Galadriel's Lament into his skin with scalpels, we could hang him from the ceiling by his thumbs for a few days, we could lock him up in a room with twenty screaming toddlers...  

Galadedrid Damodred

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:52 pm
Menegil
Good.

Stay away from it.

Else your head will be the next on my vast collection =_o

Now, now... no need to scare the poor child...  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:21 am
Excuse me! You were just talking about graphical torture....and you better watch yourself Gally, Menegil will be after you head to protect my honour!  

Rudhe
Captain

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:01 am
Why? I have done nothing to dishonour you... unless, of course, you count all those times I called you nasty things in the Tolkien Look-Alike thread...  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff