Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply Music Discussion
Does Anyone In Here Play Any Instruments? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do You Play Any Instruments?
  Yes
  No
View Results

PrimeRibby

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:50 pm
I'm teaching myself guitar. I'm mostly into vocals, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:53 pm
you can't teach yourself guitar and be good, trust me, i've been playing for 3 years and i'm thankful for having a teacher
you just need to be taught for a few months
then you can go on your own  

The Dadalorian
Crew

Vannar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:58 pm
technically you don't need a teacher, just take some help music theory courses. once u learn theory, playing any instrument becomes a hell of alot easier. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:21 am
Chaos A.D.
you can't teach yourself guitar and be good, trust me, i've been playing for 3 years and i'm thankful for having a teacher

I beg to differ, if you have time to devote to study and a lot of patience you can, its how I learned, ok, I'm not amazingly good, but I'm competent enough.  

Rellik San
Captain

Vannar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:59 pm
Rellik San
Chaos A.D.

I beg to differ, if you have time to devote to study and a lot of patience you can, its how I learned, ok, I'm not amazingly good, but I'm competent enough.

i totally agree with you, i mean you might not learn as fast as the guy with the teacher but your'll learn at your own pace. that and the fact that creation of the internet and tabs is really helpful. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:52 pm
Vannar
Rellik San
Chaos A.D.

i totally agree with you, i mean you might not learn as fast as the guy with the teacher but your'll learn at your own pace. that and the fact that creation of the internet and tabs is really helpful. ninja

And even if you don't want to use tabs to learn other peoples songs, learning to read them means you can write your own songs without knowledge of sheet music. smile

The internet, has made learning instruments more accessible then ever, as not everyone can afford the cost of a teacher and whilst you lose some interaction, you can still learn. I mean, I very much doubt a lot of the big heavy metal stars could afford guitar teachers (Iron Maiden excluded)  

Rellik San
Captain

buzzoholic

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:27 pm
hi! i play the violin, keyboard(very badly but working on hot cross buns), bells, Chimes, guitar, recorder, and of course, my voice! i think this is a cool thread.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:03 pm
I'm learning Bass Guitar...  

Instant Loser

[Ashes][is][Ashes]
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:15 pm
I've been playing flute for five years, I do vocals (medium-soprano), and I'm learning to play guitar this summer (acoustic, and perhaps bass).  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm
Bass and a very small amount of guitar but i rule at thy bass  

IceMaster_ofDeath

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:08 pm
Rellik San
Vannar
folk metal is up there with jazzcore (yes i have heard bands play jazzcore) *sigh* some of these genres of music should be wiped off the face of the earth, too god damn many.
I agree, my list of unnessacery genres so far:

Grindcore, Deathcore, Metalcore, Fairycore, NWOBHM, Doom Metal, Blackened Death Metal, Avant Garde Metal, Alternative Metal (a little bit redundant that one), Celtic Metal, Christian Metal (defeats the point), Epic Metal, Extreme Metal (the point is power metal is Epic and Extreme already), Post Metal, Stoner Metal.

Got any you'd like to add to the list? smile

I need to educate you on the wonderful world of obscure genres.

Grindcore- Death-metal for punks.
Deathcore- Actually unnecessary.
Metalcore- I wish it didn't exist, but it's punk with double bass and useless screaming.
Fairycore- What?
NWOBHM- Necessary. Also called Speed Metal at times.
Doom Metal- Oh-ho, don't touch the doom. How else are you gonna describe the slow, nihilistic, sludgy brutality?
Blackened Death Metal- It exists, but I don't know why.
Avant Garde Metal- Also can be called "experimental metal", e.g. Tool, Dir en grey.
Alternative Metal- No different from experimental metal.
Celtic Metal- Metal with Celtic instruments.
Christian Metal- Very rebellious, seeing as how a subgenre of it is Unblack Metal. Think of Dimmu Borgir with a reversed message.
Epic Metal- Subgenre of power metal, basically a power metal band that makes uselessly long concept albums all the time.
Extreme Metal- Actually, that's a broad genre including death metal, black metal, and their subgenres (Goregrind, Grindcore, Blackened Death, Blackened Thrash, Viking Metal, et al.)
Post Metal- Follows the rules of post-rock. The use of common metal/rock instruments to create a heavy sound in unconventional ways. Think Pelican. No vocals.
Stoner Metal- Not metal, at least not until it gets doomy enough. Wolfmother is NOT, The Sword IS. A bunch of bands inspired by Black Sabbath that don't sound that much like Ozzy and his crew.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:10 pm
Chaos A.D.

Most of the big-time 60s "rock" guitarists were self-taught.  

-Isel-

wmaximofff

Beloved Prophet

7,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:20 pm
I can play the flute, piano, drums, and guitar. I'm learning how to play bass tho now. Also i'm not bad on vocals.

yay we should start a Gaia BAND!!!
hehe heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:49 pm
i play more than one  

chicken-reaper

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:27 am
-Isel-
Rellik San
Vannar
folk metal is up there with jazzcore (yes i have heard bands play jazzcore) *sigh* some of these genres of music should be wiped off the face of the earth, too god damn many.
I agree, my list of unnessacery genres so far:

Grindcore, Deathcore, Metalcore, Fairycore, NWOBHM, Doom Metal, Blackened Death Metal, Avant Garde Metal, Alternative Metal (a little bit redundant that one), Celtic Metal, Christian Metal (defeats the point), Epic Metal, Extreme Metal (the point is power metal is Epic and Extreme already), Post Metal, Stoner Metal.

Got any you'd like to add to the list? smile

I need to educate you on the wonderful world of obscure genres.

Grindcore- Death-metal for punks.
Metalcore- I wish it didn't exist, but it's punk with double bass and useless screaming.
Fairycore- What?
NWOBHM- Necessary. Also called Speed Metal at times.
Doom Metal- Oh-ho, don't touch the doom. How else are you gonna describe the slow, nihilistic, sludgy brutality?
Blackened Death Metal- It exists, but I don't know why.
Avant Garde Metal- Also can be called "experimental metal", e.g. Tool, Dir en grey.
Celtic Metal- Metal with Celtic instruments.
Christian Metal- Very rebellious, seeing as how a subgenre of it is Unblack Metal. Think of Dimmu Borgir with a reversed message.
Epic Metal- Subgenre of power metal, basically a power metal band that makes uselessly long concept albums all the time.
Extreme Metal- Actually, that's a broad genre including death metal, black metal, and their subgenres (Goregrind, Grindcore, Blackened Death, Blackened Thrash, Viking Metal, et al.)
Post Metal- Follows the rules of post-rock. The use of common metal/rock instruments to create a heavy sound in unconventional ways. Think Pelican. No vocals.
Stoner Metal- Not metal, at least not until it gets doomy enough. Wolfmother is NOT, The Sword IS. A bunch of bands inspired by Black Sabbath that don't sound that much like Ozzy and his crew.

Grindcore- Death-metal for punks. - Except punks usually want nothing to do with metal.
Metalcore- I wish it didn't exist, but it's punk with double bass and useless screaming. - So the onlt difference from regular teen punk is it has a double bass? new instruments a genre do not make.
Fairycore- What? - Thats what I thought when I heard about it.
NWOBHM- Necessary. Also called Speed Metal at times. - Actually its more the term itself, I understand its purpose but the same thing is accomplished with the terms 'classic metal' and 'contemporay metal' which makes more sense to use.
Doom Metal- Oh-ho, don't touch the doom. How else are you gonna describe the slow, nihilistic, sludgy brutality? - Bad players and a singer who gargles with rocks.
Blackened Death Metal- It exists, but I don't know why. - Exactlyits useless
Avant Garde Metal- Also can be called "experimental metal", e.g. Tool, Dir en grey. - In otherwords... progressive metal.
Celtic Metal- Metal with Celtic instruments. - But surely falls under folk metal as celtic music is scotch, welsh and irish folk music.
Christian Metal- Very rebellious, seeing as how a subgenre of it is Unblack Metal. Think of Dimmu Borgir with a reversed message. - A pile of wank, given its pointless its very nature is hypcritical.
Epic Metal- Subgenre of power metal, basically a power metal band that makes uselessly long concept albums all the time. - ...So battle metal basically?
Extreme Metal- Actually, that's a broad genre including death metal, black metal, and their subgenres (Goregrind, Grindcore, Blackened Death, Blackened Thrash, Viking Metal, et al.) - So its a catch all in other words and not a genre.
Post Metal- Follows the rules of post-rock. The use of common metal/rock instruments to create a heavy sound in unconventional ways. Think Pelican. No vocals. - Surely contempory metal is better as post metal implies music after metal.
Stoner Metal- Not metal, at least not until it gets doomy enough. Wolfmother is NOT, The Sword IS. A bunch of bands inspired by Black Sabbath that don't sound that much like Ozzy and his crew. - So in otherwords the Jimi Hendrix exerience but with more chuga wuga's?  
Music Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff