Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Contradictions in the bible. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:09 am
Theophrastus
reaver98
Myrphomatic
If you consider that the bible was written by loads of people (including the books that weren't included) over at least several hundred years, there are bound to be inconsistancies!!

its like chinese whispers! The story at the end of the chain, is gonna be a lot different to the story at the beginnning

true but come on the noahs ark must have been pretty far'fetched in the first place.
(just wondering is it true that Jesus killed a boy when he bumped into the market place and blinded his parents?. Someone mentioned it but ive never heard it before)

I remember in a Theology class reading the story (non-canonical Bible books) of Jesus as a child turning five mud birds into live birds as a small child. Later a boy was running through a market and slammed into Jesus. Jesus yelled at the boy, "You'll never get where you're going!" Then the boy dropped dead.

Interesting reads, when you know the original Bible well, but all still meaningless, contradictory fiction.

Those stories would make the bible oh so much more interesting.
And the Ark thing, it's possible that by "2 of every species" was a male and female of all his farm livestock, or whatever he had. And the 900 years was just 9 generations. Poetic devices.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:37 pm
The one that pisses me off the most is how the hell does Adam and Eve get cast out of the garden of Eden, just to end up in a town called Nod? I thought they were the only two on the earth created by God? So where the hell did this hidden civilzation come from?

Oh wait, I know...it was EVOLUTION. And God didnt want to break the bad news to them, so he sent in his talking snake to make them think that they needed to be tempted to eat a apple that would make them smart...lol  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:09 pm
murasame blade
One thing I notice many Christians tell me is that the bible is the one and absolute truth, so I went to do some research on the internet, only to find that the "absolute" bible contradicts itself many times, the following are a few of the many contradictions found in this book considered by many to be absolute:

God good to all, or just a few?

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

War or peace?EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

CRUEL, UNMERCIFUL, DESTRUCTIVE, and FEROCIOUS or KIND, MERCIFUL, and GOOD:

"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jer. 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chron. 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Ps. 145:9)
"God is love." (1 John 4:16)

Have you guys seen more examples of this type of flip-flopping and hypocrisy?

HAHA now this is halarious. oh yes, pick whatever verses you want and NOT read the rest of the chapter. when you take things out of context you can warp them around to whatever you want.

again no offense. just from a christian point of view its.....well never mind ill keep my opinion to myself on that one. not here to mock so let me lend in some enlightenment.

let me first state this from a rational and logical point of view. if YOU were "a" God, you are capable of love, mercy, kindness, and caring are you not? but aren't you ALSO capable of wrath, jealousy, and merciless emotions are you not?

then that should be your answer. if your creations were running about rampant sinning so corruptly they cant save themselves, you just gonna stand there? you should read about the story of Soddom and Gamorrah how the entire CITY went so corrupt and were so drowning in sin they could not save them self. why do you think the flood happened?

look at it this way, when a fire starts and it gets out of control, you try to put it out before it engulfs everything around it, SPREADING and DESTROYING everything that comes near it.

its the same concept here. and the bible DOES NOT contradict itself. if it did then many of its teachings could not be taught if it had contradictions.

God loves everyone, however....

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to Him:

1. Haughty eyes (scornfully and condescendingly proud)
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devises wicked schemes
5. Feet that are quick to rush into evil
6. A false witness who pours out lies
7. A man that stirs up dissension among brother

For those who are interested to read, here are verses stating as such:

Exodus 34: 6-7
Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "the Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.

Heres a legitimate statement:

2 Chron 19:2
And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him and said to King Hejoshaphat, "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord and so bring wrath on yourself from the Lord?"

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, which suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

And yes God is a jealous god. What religion with what god they worship isnt? I feel sorry for the Greeks because they had more than one god to worship. how confusing.

Exodus 20: 4-5
You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, o nthe third and the fourth generations of those who Hate me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:41 pm
SaintChaos
murasame blade
One thing I notice many Christians tell me is that the bible is the one and absolute truth, so I went to do some research on the internet, only to find that the "absolute" bible contradicts itself many times, the following are a few of the many contradictions found in this book considered by many to be absolute:

God good to all, or just a few?

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

War or peace?EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

CRUEL, UNMERCIFUL, DESTRUCTIVE, and FEROCIOUS or KIND, MERCIFUL, and GOOD:

"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jer. 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chron. 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Ps. 145:9)
"God is love." (1 John 4:16)

Have you guys seen more examples of this type of flip-flopping and hypocrisy?

HAHA now this is halarious. oh yes, pick whatever verses you want and NOT read the rest of the chapter. when you take things out of context you can warp them around to whatever you want.

again no offense. just from a christian point of view its.....well never mind ill keep my opinion to myself on that one. not here to mock so let me lend in some enlightenment.

let me first state this from a rational and logical point of view. if YOU were "a" God, you are capable of love, mercy, kindness, and caring are you not? but aren't you ALSO capable of wrath, jealousy, and merciless emotions are you not?

then that should be your answer. if your creations were running about rampant sinning so corruptly they cant save themselves, you just gonna stand there? you should read about the story of Soddom and Gamorrah how the entire CITY went so corrupt and were so drowning in sin they could not save them self. why do you think the flood happened?

look at it this way, when a fire starts and it gets out of control, you try to put it out before it engulfs everything around it, SPREADING and DESTROYING everything that comes near it.

its the same concept here. and the bible DOES NOT contradict itself. if it did then many of its teachings could not be taught if it had contradictions.

God loves everyone, however....

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to Him:

1. Haughty eyes (scornfully and condescendingly proud)
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devises wicked schemes
5. Feet that are quick to rush into evil
6. A false witness who pours out lies
7. A man that stirs up dissension among brother

For those who are interested to read, here are verses stating as such:

Exodus 34: 6-7
Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "the Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.

Heres a legitimate statement:

2 Chron 19:2
And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him and said to King Hejoshaphat, "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord and so bring wrath on yourself from the Lord?"

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, which suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

And yes God is a jealous god. What religion with what god they worship isnt? I feel sorry for the Greeks because they had more than one god to worship. how confusing.

Exodus 20: 4-5
You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, o nthe third and the fourth generations of those who Hate me.

What seems to me to be evidence that the Bible lost canon somewhere along the way is the fact that Old Testament God is angry and vengeful, while New Testament God is kind and loving. Personally, I think the relevance of context is indeed something that needs to be taken into account, but on the other hand, there are contradictions like that one that are readily apparent.  

ProjectOmicron88

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:49 pm
SaintChaos
[...]then that should be your answer. if your creations were running about rampant sinning so corruptly they cant save themselves, you just gonna stand there? you should read about the story of Soddom and Gamorrah how the entire CITY went so corrupt and were so drowning in sin they could not save them self. why do you think the flood happened?

Quoted for lulz.

Are you serious? Did you just tell me that those people got out of control? Out of control? So what is it? Is God omnipotent or not? Seems like a pretty strong contradiction to his own claims about himself.

If the Bible is true, God is a murderer. He killed every single person on earth with the exception of 8. He drowned his entire creation.

He burned down cities and tribes, swallowed up armies and even tortured and killed his own son. And then people tell me he's loving? Sorry, friend; I call bullshit.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:08 pm
Theophrastus
SaintChaos
[...]then that should be your answer. if your creations were running about rampant sinning so corruptly they cant save themselves, you just gonna stand there? you should read about the story of Soddom and Gamorrah how the entire CITY went so corrupt and were so drowning in sin they could not save them self. why do you think the flood happened?

Quoted for lulz.

Are you serious? Did you just tell me that those people got out of control? Out of control? So what is it? Is God omnipotent or not? Seems like a pretty strong contradiction to his own claims about himself.

If the Bible is true, God is a murderer. He killed every single person on earth with the exception of 8. He drowned his entire creation.

He burned down cities and tribes, swallowed up armies and even tortured and killed his own son. And then people tell me he's loving? Sorry, friend; I call bullshit.

Through the complex series of segues that are my thought processes, you have reminded me of something else.

I have heard Christians say that we know morality because God puts his morals into our hearts before we're even born. First of all, morality is learned through empirical observation and learning...this is why parents discipline their children. Second, if we already know good moral values, why does God feel it necessary to reiterate every single moral he supposedly already gave us? (read: Decalogue)  

ProjectOmicron88

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:44 pm
I find it very telling that most Christians immediately reject atheists' objections to verses suggesting an evil God as being either allegorical or "out of context," but readily accept all of the verses purporting the all-too-common messages of God's love exactly as they are written.

If we're going to cry "out of context," let's apply it to everything.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 pm
Saint chaos, OMG!! you rock!!! Keeping to your opinions and having comebacks for the corruptions found. I respect that.

But my own contradictions is simply...........if not mentioned and i ddn't see, Dinosaurs.

Some books ive read said they are mentioned in the bible. but another said

"Dinosaurs are not mentioned due to the fact the were not important to the growth of man...." Not correct in any sence i think..........  

Crooked_Lamb

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:53 pm
Quote:
What seems to me to be evidence that the Bible lost canon somewhere along the way is the fact that Old Testament God is angry and vengeful, while New Testament God is kind and loving. Personally, I think the relevance of context is indeed something that needs to be taken into account, but on the other hand, there are contradictions like that one that are readily apparent.

lol man....well was my choice to join the guild so i should expect as much. lol here we go.

just because one thing is said in one scripture and not in the new testament, doesnt make it any less true.

there are many supporting verses that say the same thing that are found just as much in the new testament. he is all of the above, kind and loving, jealous and wrathful.

what human isnt? and its not a contradiction. lol just how you look at it. for as much as ive studied the bible in my life time and still do, i will find verses that would "seem" to say the opposite if another verse, but in reality it wasnt contradiction at all. God does not contradict himself, the bible is his "word".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:57 pm
So what do you say to Arios' post back on page 1?

Help me understand how these quotes from the Bible that state completely opposed concepts are not contradictions.  

Theophrastus

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 pm
Lyoko_Alchemist
Saint chaos, OMG!! you rock!!! Keeping to your opinions and having comebacks for the corruptions found. I respect that.

But my own contradictions is simply...........if not mentioned and i ddn't see, Dinosaurs.

Some books ive read said they are mentioned in the bible. but another said

"Dinosaurs are not mentioned due to the fact the were not important to the growth of man...." Not correct in any sence i think..........

lol now wait a min, think of all the animals that are also not mentioned in the bible. if you had a list of every single animal into man's existence you would have MANY pages just about the animals we have.

i dont recall siberian tigers being mentioned as one of the animals, neither does it mention the chubacabra. just because its not mentioned, doesnt mean it doesnt exist wink since its we've clearly found evidence of such animals.

there is even evidence that dragons existed one and theres a whole chapter in the book of job that describes one. i think its Job chapter 41. if you read that entire chapter, it describes what we call today as a dragon. quite interesting if you ask me.

and

Quote:

i completely agree with you. but like i said, just because its not mentioned (and it isnt) doesnt it mean they werent there. there are thousands of types of different creatures adn to mention them all would be kinda pointless dont you think?

also, you have to be careful with which bible you read. there are a lot of versions i know, but i read the New American Standard Bible. its deemed the most word for word accuracy for the hebrew/aramaic of the old testament to the greek of the new testament. and i assure you its accuracy.

my dad even reads the old testament in original Hebrew language and he follows along while i read in english. so i have no doubt in my mind.

dont bother reading the mormon, catholic, NIV, or especially the kings james. too many mistranslations and transliterations and just plain using their OWN words to be considered accurate.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 am
Semper Fiasco
I find it very telling that most Christians immediately reject atheists' objections to verses suggesting an evil God as being either allegorical or "out of context," but readily accept all of the verses purporting the all-too-common messages of God's love exactly as they are written.

If we're going to cry "out of context," let's apply it to everything.

lol it depends on how you look at things. first off, i reject your "objections" because they were taken out of context. nothing more nothing less. i accept the verses because i understand how they're put together.

one concept is supported by underlying concepts. lol i REFUSE to take something out of context because then my words and evidence are worthless if they're not fully studied and fully read, which i have done since i learned how to read.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:06 am
huh touche.........but i wont get into huge detail...but evolution of species would cause new ones so of course they all couldnt be listed i realise this...

Your dad must be very well read to do that....i am very amazed and respect his....work ethic???

currently im out of stumping...the dinosaur thing usually gets them......

stare 3nodding blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:19 am
Quote:

Quoted for lulz.

lol. and how are we any different? as the example i gave with a poetic liscense, when you see a fire, do you not try to put it out?

have WE not killed THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS in wars and in disputes to get our freedom for this country? and here we still fight it with Iraq, killing yet more people and shedding more blood.

what? we're just gonna stand here why they terrorize our cities like on 9/11?

the SAME CONCEPT is applied here. just simple logic my friend. in regards to god, yes he knows its going to happen before it happens but that doesnt mean its happened "yet". also, god gave us a "will" to use. just because he knows its going to happen doesnt mean hes going to force us to do those things. s**t happened because of our own fault and when we let it get too out of control to where WE cant stop it, someone else has to.

when common city walkers can't put out a burning building they have to send in someone with a higher power (fire fighters) to put it out before it destroys anything else.

SAME concept.

Quote:

Now now, temper temper. Someone seriously needs to be careful how they LOOSELY use the word "murder". Murder is killing, but with an EVIL MALICIOUS intent.

God is not evil and God is not malicious. its against his nature. it is also against his nature to lie, so the bible IS indeed true. if God was capable of lieing how would we be able to trust him? But did you bother reading the bible and those verses to see what type of people he was getting rid of? If you don't believe in god or the bible thats compeltely acceptable, but if your going to debate with me with things regarding the bible, i suggest you do heavy research like i do so you can back up your claims smile and i have PLENTY verses to quote and all you must do is but ask me and i shall.

Also on a side note, mankind has no problem destroying himself. Do WE not get rid of "scum" when they walk our streets and rape our sisters or murder our families or torture our friends? just look at all the prisoners in jail.

SAME concept.

Quote:

hmmm sounds familiar. oh wait! look on the news! some marines just destroyed an Iraqi building. oh boo hoo.

And you have to understand God's nature. He is one being who has separated himself spiritually into two other beings of himself, the son and the holy ghost. not to be confused as two separate gods. the bible is monotheism, not polytheistic.

So when he sent his son, in reality he was sending a "part of himself". But when his son was tortured, that was NOT his fault. Jesus rightfully allowed the jews to torture him the way they did. Jesus suffered because of mankind, not because of God. He allowed it to happen for a reason and that reason was being to be put on the cross to die for EVERYONES SINS.

lol SOMEONE needs to read a little bit about the Resurrection biggrin  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 am
ProjectOmicron88
Theophrastus
SaintChaos

Quoted for lulz.

Through the complex series of segues that are my thought processes, you have reminded me of something else.

I have heard Christians say that we know morality because God puts his morals into our hearts before we're even born. First of all, morality is learned through empirical observation and learning...this is why parents discipline their children. Second, if we already know good moral values, why does God feel it necessary to reiterate every single moral he supposedly already gave us? (read: Decalogue)

lol thats the first time ive ever heard that. i know the bible says that God made us in his image but that is a very VAGUE statement and can be taken many ways. in fact, our morality is of our own choice. its not something that god embeds in us, otherwise, as you said, what would be the point of reiterating what was already in us.

but its not. according to the bible we are burdened with sin, and our bodies naturally seek after the desires of the flesh, so morality couldnt possibly be already embedded into us.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff