Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Help, enable, join in? (Drug usage) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 pm
Becka Minato
I'm abstinent, so I decided to be against drugs as well. My friends are always teasing me about it, saying that drugs help them with alot of things, and thats it the best feeling on the planet or some other bullcrap. I really want to make them stop, but as soon as they mention them stopping, they just ignore me.

I know how you feel. I used to roll up and smoke some God with my friends all the time, but I've been as sober as a newborn for about 2 years now.

On one hand, it was like an industrial trash compactor for my burdens, problems, and responsibilities. Of course, I felt the same trash compactor effect on my sense of reality.

Now that I'm clean, all my friends just laugh and point their fingers. I've tried explaining to them, in the kindest way possible, that they're not seeing life for what it is. But somehow, despite my good intentions, they just can't seem to imagine pulling their heads out of the sand and living clean and sober.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:26 am
I don't care for drugs, won't ever do them, but I don't scold anyone I know who uses them-- unless they are doing it in my house, and this is strictly prohibited.

But, it's whole different story with my sister.

She loves to drink, loves to smoke, takes earth-knows-what, and damn, after 3 years of using 'em, it's showing badly. I hate seeing her slowly deplete from what she once was, the people she hangs out with aren't really respectable, and although she feels happier this way, I really don't agree with her methods of attaining this happiness.

We still talk and get along just fine, she is after all my only sister, but it hurts that my concerns will never reach her.  

Killian Darkwater

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:30 am
I think a large amount of people who don't like drugs (even if they still use them) feel that way because of seeing their friends and family deteriorate due to them. I'm no exception to that statement.

What's really creepy is to see a picture of your using friend/family member from a few years back, or when they didn't use. It can be disturbing if not outright heartbreaking.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:24 am
Theophrastus
I think a large amount of people who don't like drugs (even if they still use them) feel that way because of seeing their friends and family deteriorate due to them. I'm no exception to that statement.

What's really creepy is to see a picture of your using friend/family member from a few years back, or when they didn't use. It can be disturbing if not outright heartbreaking.

Oh buddy do I know the feeling. sad  

Killian Darkwater

Niveous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:49 am
Semper Fiasco
Anyone who wants to stop using drugs or drinking alcohol has to realize that they are not powerless over their addiction. There is a difference between the neocortex and the limbic system. Addiction has no control over motor commands, which you need in order to use drugs in the first place.

I don't think addiction is a "disease," as 12-step programs like Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous refer to it. The "disease" concept of addiction takes responsibility away from the addict, and glorifies their addiction, when in reality the addict is the one responsible for what he/she is doing. If they can't feel responsible for their actions, then they can't feel any real sense of accomplishment for actually losing the addiction. They end up relying on their support group, which just becomes their new drug.

Addicts need to realize that their past and their genes have nothing to do with their addiction. Blaming the addiction on events beyond one's control just takes responsibility away from the addict and makes them feel hopeless. Using drugs is voluntary, and addicts do it of their own free will; if they realized this, then maybe they'd be more inclined to take initiative for themselves.

I will be the jerk and rabble rouser here. I say most of this is a long string of bs. Not that it is all bs. A lot of fancy and very true facts here for sure.

This post seems....detached and not in the un-biased sort of way. Emotions play a big part in anyones life. No one, and I mean NO ONE will respect these silent booksmart protests. They come off as condescending and without even a drop of empathy.

You may look down on AA, but people need to be told by OTHER addicts, that is not impossible to quit. Having some brainy know-it-all who sounds like they've never been in the other person's shoes... And trust me on this one, they will most likely laugh in your face, or spit on your name when you leave.

Some people have been addicted from child hood pain meds. Some people get sexually abused as kids, and don't have very great looking future in their head when they see nothing but drug addicts around them. For you to self proclaim yourself as the undisputed truth on addiction sickens even me.

And I am a condescending know-it-all. But this bs just takes the cake.

So yes, a softer and more gentle tone. Some empathy. Giving them support even when you want to spew your vile reality on them all at once isn't going to help. They need to be spoon fed reality, like a child. You didn't become a tough human instantly. And drugs saps away a lot. Confidence, health, looks, acceptance by others. Depending on how bad it is.

This is a very "Case by Case"issue. No one should be on their little political platform stating universal solutions on this subject matter. Because yes, it is sensitive, and yes...it is more complicated than ...motor skills of the brain.

It is a disease. A cold is a physical disease. Any chemical imbalance or dependency is a disease of the brain. And the sooner we give it the credit it deserves....the less likely addicts and mentally unstable people will be treated as sub human by others.

Yes, it IS a choice. Their is NO excuse. We are entitled to make mistakes.
But kids who get into drugs rarely grasp just how vicious a cycle it is, and how hard it is to stop. You burn your hand on the stove, you pull it away.....sooth the burn.

Your brain doesn't become enthralled by it to do it again. But ...booze..pills...that's another story.

As far as, support groups becoming the "new addiction" ....Dude...so what?

I'd rather a person chew gum than smoke when they can't handle it anymore. I'd rather a person be on a runner's high than a regular one.
Swapping addictions isn't all that horrible. It makes the addict realize they can gradually ease out of something they once believed impossible. You want to kill that hope?

You want them to jump from the hot to cold. Be just like you in 0-60. You know how certain things crack if you switch them from real hot to real cold....

Same idea.

lol ALSO When you give them the full frontal to take responsibility. Did you ever realize or stop to examine the aftermath of that? They have no confidence, and you so gloriously made them realize it was ALL their choice. It had nothing to do with childhood abuse, genes, and w/e else they used to say. So you have...an ego shattered person....and now they have to take absolute responsibility. I'm sorry, if I was them...tough as I pretend to be, that would just wrack me with enough self loathing and stress....who knows what would happen.

Stress=bad
Self loathing= bad

Never accepting responsibility= yeah..also bad.

I'm not disagreeing, more like telling you it was a bad approach. You need to do it slowly, and consistently. Its all about balance. That rule never seems to go out of style. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:37 pm
You know, a lot of people have posted here. If you're going to so vigorously demean statements, you might wanna make clear who you're aiming this at.

Personally, I heartily disagree with your attitude. It's overemotional, gushing, good-feeling approaches that lead a lot of people into destructive or wasteful lifestyles.  

Theophrastus

Niveous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Maybe so.

There was a point there though.

To make people think harder then they already have.

Once people find a little logic, they find it as truthful and lazily accept it as such.

I wasn't out to hurt or bash anyone. I mostly agreed with the statement above. I stated such in my post. And I don't really care if it came off as the scribblings of a mad man. I easily and fully put into question something people were agreeing with left and right on here.

My intention was simple, think harder, and use other methods. Not just one. It will come across as gushy because it is from a humane perspective, where emotions come into play.

You don't like it? Good. I didn't post it to make friends. Once again, statement was to cause rabble rousing, get the brain juices flowing.

And since I never stated it as absolute truth, or bashed anyone at all, but put an idea into question....who cares what you think about it?

It was still polite to a point and relevant.

Can't help it if my attitude isn't perfect. Just the way I am ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:42 pm
I'm not criticizing you, friend, just the tone of your post.  

Theophrastus

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces