Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Holy s**t! (Or; One crazed woman's rant against Atheism) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:07 pm
You know, I'm really not gonna get into that too much, however I will say a few words.

One, I do find it interesting that she didn't mention any other religious group aside from Christian groups, even though she did add the "etc." part which could possibly include all other religions. If she's going to list groups, she should at least add groups like Jewish, Mormon, Islamic, stuff like that.

Two, from the it sounds her last sentence: "Atheists are the reason why crime is so rampant." She makes it sound like we are the only ones who commit crimes in this country and that even if we don't commit them, we're the ones responsible.

Three, freedom of religion is all encompassing, it basically states that you free to believe in what you want.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:31 pm
murasame blade
Why is it that so many Christians have a persecution complex? Are they being lynched by us "Evil" atheists?, do we burn down their homes, and take everything? No. They have no reason to deem themselves the victims of discrimination or anything for that matter. Funny how the Europeans that came here to be free from religion in England, basically got here and went: "Follow this religion or we kill you". Talk about hypocrisy.

From the Nonexistent Christian Dictionary...
per - se - cute (v.)
1. To allow basic rights and freedoms to religiously oppressed minorities.
2. To pass a law in favor of equality, fairness, and justice for all people.
3. To prevent religious conservatives from enforcing a theocratic agenda on a state, province, or nation.
4. To induce rabies and fetal positions throughout certain religious groups.
5. To flame my satire on this very topic.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Nopenname

Beloved Prophet

8,375 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:58 am
s**t like this makes my brain hurt. I'm a big fan of the constitution, and what the amendments ACTUALLY SAY. This asinine "Freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion" arguement doesn't so much hold water if you have actually READ the ******** constitution.

It says the GOVERNMENT shall make no law abridging the freedom of religion not that you have to have one or that are you are free to have one, just that government will not stick it's nose into or say which you can have.

GAH. As a fan of the constitution. I Just hate ignorant ******** Americans being total morons about it. If ANYONE should leave the country it should be someone who doesn't even understand nor has read the document that grants them their ******** rights.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:03 am
Christians are so funny they say we cause crime yet which religion has prists that uh well do "Holy" acts on kids. Yet we're tha ones responsible for crime. Go this Idiot.  

SkeletonPhoenix

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:37 pm
I thought more about the claim that atheism is the reason crime is so rampant, and I realized it was time for some research. Check this out:

-Sunnis and Shi'ites are about the most devout theists on this planet.
-The Israel-Palestine conflict is several thousand years old.
-Anti-semitism because of Christianity has been evidenced in The Passion, which started as an anti-semitic play in the Middle Ages, and has shown in the Third Reich.
-The Troubles, the presently tepid conflict in Ireland, is what created Protestantism. It has been going on for centuries, and has been a very brutal struggle.
-Sectarian violence between Buddhists exists.
-The Inquisition is not the example a theist would like to give for "God's love" if they wanted to make a point.
-The priests who become intimate with altar boys are certainly not atheists.
-It doesn't matter if the inner-city thug who mugged you in a back alley is evil. That silver cross on his neck certainly tells you he's no atheist.
-I hate to make another reference to the Third Reich (comparing anything you hate to Naziism is getting really old), but I feel I have to say that, for the record, Hitler was a devout Christian.
-The Bible itself endorses the keeping and abuse of human slaves.

I am nineteen years old and have a clean police record. I intend to keep it that way and NOT spend a long vacation in a federal pound-me-in-the-a** prison (with apologies to Mike Judge). If we're the reason crime is so rampant, show us the statistics proving this. I can guarantee it will show next to no correlation. So if "thou shalt not murder" and "thou shalt not steal" are absolute, unbreakable laws of religion, take a look at the above examples again to see how seriously most theists take these two very basic principles of human morality.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 pm
ProjectOmicron88
-It doesn't matter if the inner-city thug who mugged you in a back alley is evil. That silver cross on his neck certainly tells you he's no atheist.

That reminds me of something I always ask Christians when I bring up crime statistics.

They say:

"Criminals aren't True Christians™©!"

My response:

"Then what the hell are they? Buddhists?"  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 pm
ProjectOmicron88
I thought more about the claim that atheism is the reason crime is so rampant, and I realized it was time for some research. Check this out:

-Anti-semitism because of Christianity has been evidenced in The Passion, which started as an anti-semitic play in the Middle Ages, and has shown in the Third Reich.
-The Troubles, the presently tepid conflict in Ireland, is what created Protestantism. It has been going on for centuries, and has been a very brutal struggle.
-The Inquisition is not the example a theist would like to give for "God's love" if they wanted to make a point.
-I hate to make another reference to the Third Reich (comparing anything you hate to Naziism is getting really old), but I feel I have to say that, for the record, Hitler was a devout Christian.

I am nineteen years old and have a clean police record. I intend to keep it that way and NOT spend a long vacation in a federal pound-me-in-the-a** prison (with apologies to Mike Judge). If we're the reason crime is so rampant, show us the statistics proving this. I can guarantee it will show next to no correlation. So if "thou shalt not murder" and "thou shalt not steal" are absolute, unbreakable laws of religion, take a look at the above examples again to see how seriously most theists take these two very basic principles of human morality.

Sometimes I kinda love you. XD  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 pm
Sorry, but I live by the immortal words of Anonymous:

"Never argue with idiots. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."  

Lethkhar

CountGrishnak

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:03 am
Freedom of speech. Yeah right. Whenever a publishment is in fear of loosing funding because of interest groups that advertise, we are not having free speech. It gets a little murky and crap like this article pops up.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm
Theophrastus
those who don't know, Alaska is so red, gun-loving and hateful it makes Texas look like Boston.
I find that just a tiny bit offensive. You didnt have to add "gun-loving" in there, sorry but I'm getting a wee bit tired of people attacking guns/gun laws/people who own/use guns.

Freedom of speech does not mean you can say what you want. And correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the constitution explicitly state that you are free to worship as you see fit or not at all?  

[Hollow Point]

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm
Theophrastus
ProjectOmicron88

Sometimes I kinda love you. XD

Careful! That'd be the eighth deadly sin! XP  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 pm
[Hollow Point]
Theophrastus
those who don't know, Alaska is so red, gun-loving and hateful it makes Texas look like Boston.
I find that just a tiny bit offensive. You didnt have to add "gun-loving" in there, sorry but I'm getting a wee bit tired of people attacking guns/gun laws/people who own/use guns.

Freedom of speech does not mean you can say what you want. And correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the constitution explicitly state that you are free to worship as you see fit or not at all?

I don't want to be misunderstood.

I was raised in Texas. I am comfortable using handguns and to a greater extent single action and semi automatic rifles. I've been hunting and learned the hard way how to steady a shotgun. I suck with the bow and compound bow, though. XD

I am in no way at all attacking the rights of Americans to bear arms. In fact I encourage the populace to possess them, as an armed people keeps tyranny in check. However, one must acknowledge that voting red and loving guns seems to be the favorite pastime of a rather narrow and, in my eyes, backwards subsection of American people for whom I have little love.

The point of my statement was to make clear that Alaska is well-populated with far-right conservatives, mostly old schoolers who aren't uncomfortable with concepts the rest of the country has for the most part outgrown (racism, sexual discrimination on a physical level, civil rights for whites only, etc). Of course this is a generalization, but most any statement we make about other groups is equally so.  

Theophrastus

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:45 pm
User Image

Hahahaha....
what a big joke,
and a great way to pull down the image of religion,
does she even know that the number of atheists is growing?
Really, check this out: http://www.jcnot4me.com/Items/Misc Topics/atheists_in_america.htm
the percentage of Atheists in America has doubled in a decade(YAY for us!)
And, define "evil".

User Image

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 pm
Yay! Extreme controversy! This is a good thing. The more that people hate us the more we'll win in the end. Think about it. Martin Luther King Jr. and all that he believed in pissed off racists but looked at what he accomplished. Harry Potter was hated by Chrsitians but now it's the most popular book series of our generation. If we put up with this s**t we can win in the end.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:06 pm
I love how Muslims and Jews don't believe in God. rofl  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]