Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Is religion necessary?" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:31 pm
To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, if the only reason you're a moral person is because you're scared of going to hell...well, that's a pretty despicable reason, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:50 am
i wrote a paper once, i had ta go into the past and change one thing, and then explain how it would change the us as we kno it, i chose to go back and kill jesus, after turning in my paper, i was called to the office and forced into anger-managment class every other tuesday, i was also forced to rewrite my paper because my teacher said that god wouldnt allow his son to die until hed done wut he was ment ta do, so instead, i went back and killed the first pope, i got a f since my teacher was catholic. so, by all means write on religion, but dont slader any religion, people belive what they want, and will go to great lengths to protect there convictions  

rion kioji

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:35 am
It's funny that an entire school will do all they can to shut down one kid's fiction. God can't defend himself?

Yet I'll guarantee you that most of the families attached to that school watch 24 or some other intense prime time drama that easily discards "the bad guys" without batting an eye.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 am
Theophrastus
Lethkhar
Obviously, my opinion is that it's not necessary:

The top three most religious prosperous developed countries:
1. United States
2. Portugal
3. Ireland

The three least religious prosperous developed countries:
1. Japan
2. Sweden
3. Germany

18 Countries Total:

The more religious a society the higher the homicide rate.
Highest homicide rate: 1. United States, 2. Portugal, 3. Switzerland
Lowest homicide rate: 1. Spain, 2. Norway, 3. Japan

This correlation holds true through all countries.

The more religious a society the higher the abortion rate.
Highest abortion rate: 1. United States, 2. Australia, 3. Canada
Lowest abortion rate: 1. Denmark, 2. Sweden, 3. Great Britain

This correlation holds true through all countries.

Furthermore if you dig deeper, agnostics & atheists commit the least crimes, have the least abortions, have the least number of early pregnancies.. in fact they are all around less dysfunctional.

Despite the best effort of “pro-life” Americans, abortion rates are much higher in our Christian nation, than the lowest in relatively secular ones such as Japan, France, and Scandinavian countries. In general higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortions.

As for pro...You could take the cliche stance that it's necessary for morality, but I think I just pretty much debunked that... sweatdrop

Interesting statements that agree with my own research into the matters. But be careful how you pose the abortion issue; it would almost assume that you consider murder and unethical behavior to be the same as abortion.

Alternately, though, one could say that your statement is just making clear that people aren't having sex so carelessly in the first place in more secular places, which in itself isn't a bad thing at all.

Whether or not you are for or against abortion, surely you must agree that abortions are not a good thing. I mean, it's a good thing to avoid childbirth and such, but no one in their right mind would get pregnant and have abortions just for the fun of it.

I don't think I'm phrasing this right...What I mean to say is that low abortion rates are a good thing despite your opinion on the legality of such as act. Pro-choice people such as myself fight for the right to have the choice to abort a fetus, not the right to abort any and all fetuses.

Am I making sense?  

Lethkhar

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:41 am
You are to me. You're saying that while people should feel proud that their country allows one to make The Choice, that by no means would imply that people are doing them for fun. To reiterate, no abortion should be undertaken lightly.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:52 am
rion kioji
i wrote a paper once, i had ta go into the past and change one thing, and then explain how it would change the us as we kno it, i chose to go back and kill jesus, after turning in my paper, i was called to the office and forced into anger-managment class every other tuesday, i was also forced to rewrite my paper because my teacher said that god wouldnt allow his son to die until hed done wut he was ment ta do, so instead, i went back and killed the first pope, i got a f since my teacher was catholic. so, by all means write on religion, but dont slader any religion, people belive what they want, and will go to great lengths to protect there convictions

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.At least my Catholic teacher knew a good paper when he saw one, even if it was against his personal views User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Baron von Turkeypants

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:02 pm
Oh, ok, you need to be very careful what you say i did a paper on religion in school awhile go.

You need to make sure your not just trying to disprove religion, you need to give the religions fair say as well as other veiw points. Otherwise the paper will just be a biased rant.

You also need to be willing to sit down and talk to your teacher about your paper, have him/ her, read through it, see if he/ she has any imput or helpful hints.

And, Wikipedia is a god on this subject.

Good luck, any more detailed questions feel free to ask.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Write whatever the hell you want, as long as your teacher is good. If not, sue the hell out of him.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Baron von Turkeypants

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces