Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Rational Response Squad. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:57 pm
Jessica, my dear, I heartily encourage you to learn more about them.

rationalresponders.com. These are the people made fools of the arrogant slanderer Ray Comfort and his drooling patsy Kirk Cameron in the first ever national debate on the Existence of God. These are the street teams who boldly offer freethought and a desperately necessary wake up call for those blinded by the mists of water cooler theism.

I don't agree with every tactic, but I'll be damned if I don't applaud the RRS.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 pm
I'm sorry, but, even though I agree with their views, their militant nature and means of action are just too much to respect, and their attitude as a whole toward religion is no better.

While it is admirable to want others to let go of the brace of religion, it must be taken into consideration what it really IS to those who embrace it. Though it's easy to claim that theists are blinded and brainwashed, one must remember that it's the sole factor upon which many base their lives, and attempting to strip them of that by force would have only one of two results: Either angering the person in question in a way that simply makes them apprehensive toward all reason brought against them from any opposing side, or in the case of those attempts by force being successful, causing them to slip into a state of moral and personal discontent, emotional chaos, possibly severe depression, and even worse.

I've known theists who've lost their faith by other means. For all the glory we place on embracing truth and seeking knowledge, those who lack the nature to do so also tend to lack the strength to continue properly in life without their faith, as all of that strength is build upon said faith.

Militantism will always fail in its task in this degree, save for the task of upsetting the very same that they seek to "help," and further pushing apart the schism between atheism and religion in the civil world. Anger, begets hate, begets more hate.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:42 pm
Idunno about all that, man. Seems a really subjective observation.

But I suppose my replies to it would sound the same.

I was so wholeheartedly religious, zealous, even. When I broke away from it (it was a rather intense snap that happened over about 9 months, though the actual divorce from theism happened over about 2 days), I felt much more calm, steady and balanced than when under religion. And it's been that way ever since.

I wouldn't say that I'm "chill" (as those darn kids would say), since when pressed I can get extremely aggressive, but I'm much more relaxed about my beliefs and bear no ill will towards any aspect of non-theistic living.

Then again, that may be the result of my conversion to Atheism having no outside influence.

Am I rambling?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 pm
Theophrastus
Idunno about all that, man. Seems a really subjective observation.

But I suppose my replies to it would sound the same.

I was so wholeheartedly religious, zealous, even. When I broke away from it (it was a rather intense snap that happened over about 9 months, though the actual divorce from theism happened over about 2 days), I felt much more calm, steady and balanced than when under religion. And it's been that way ever since.

I wouldn't say that I'm "chill" (as those darn kids would say), since when pressed I can get extremely aggressive, but I'm much more relaxed about my beliefs and bear no ill will towards any aspect of non-theistic living.

Then again, that may be the result of my conversion to Atheism having no outside influence.

Am I rambling?

Not quite.

Still. While there are situations where all turns out for the new-found atheist, there are just as many that end in either disaster, or an utterly hollow human being.  

Tenth Speed Writer

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:54 am
Dude I think there more the hate god side than acctually Non-believers. I think they're just mad at god or rebelious or whatever.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:28 am
Cirosan
I feel their presence is necessary. There must always be extremists (not the violent kind) for any cause, otherwise one opinion would always rule.

*Agrees.*

What is this violence you all say the commit?  

Marki2k7

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:54 pm
I watched a debate involving the Rational Response Squad and was disappointed in their eloquence and preparation.

Their hearts may be in the right spot but they struck me as having the mentality of those barely out of high school. Perhaps they'll be more effective in a few years.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff