Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Critique Fest '07 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yarb
  Narb, by which I mean Yarb
  Dude, Gold is soo overated
View Results

Spastic waffles
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:17 pm
Hmmm...interesting. It sounds almost as if he's writing a journal entry of his last day of life after he's died.

There were few grammatical mistakes, but I think they've already all been pointed out, besides a few run-on sentences that I really don't mind too much. They kinda add to the feel of the story.

“Did you hear the news??” he says excitedly, almost jumping up and down, almost. He doesn’t look like he’s been able jumped since the 3rd grade.

I'm not sure excitedly is the best word there...excitedly has more of a positive connotation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:38 pm
Voxxx
What does 'Yarb' mean? Is it like a secret password? I love secrets!

Anyways, about the story. I liked it. It had a nice flow, and your style was consistent throughout, allowing for a more organized piece with a slightly oblique feel. The only thing that caught my writer OCD-ocity was

“Did you hear the news??” he says excitedly, almost jumping up and down, almost. He doesn’t look like he’s been able jumped since the 3rd grade.

That line. It was just a touch unclear. Able-jumped? Or able to jump?

Oops, missed that. Must have started changing that during my last self-edit then forgot or something. It should be "He doesn't look like he's been able to jump since the 3rd grade". Oh and Yarb is a reference to the movie Hot Fuzz.  

xXxFollowMexXx

xXxFollowMexXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:45 pm
Spastic waffles
Hmmm...interesting. It sounds almost as if he's writing a journal entry of his last day of life after he's died.

There were few grammatical mistakes, but I think they've already all been pointed out, besides a few run-on sentences that I really don't mind too much. They kinda add to the feel of the story.

I'm not sure excitedly is the best word there...excitedly has more of a positive connotation.

I see your point.. time to break out the thesaurus xp .  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 pm
Agitatedly! ><

Stupid thesaurus and its usefulness when you need it.

>.>

Being smarter than me is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!!!

But you know what's annoying? People that will go and look up huge words in the thesaurus and then use them to make people feel dumb, without even knowing what it means, exactly.

Good writing tip: writers should try and find the smallest word to fit the purpose. There was a quote, but I forgetted. :/  

KirbyVictorious

xXxFollowMexXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm
KirbyVictorious
Agitatedly! ><

Stupid thesaurus and its usefulness when you need it.

>.>

Being smarter than me is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!!!

But you know what's annoying? People that will go and look up huge words in the thesaurus and then use them to make people feel dumb, without even knowing what it means, exactly.

Good writing tip: writers should try and find the smallest word to fit the purpose. There was a quote, but I forgetted. :/

I only look up large sophisticated words for my English class this year, because I hate the teacher and want to make him feel like the bumbling idiot that he is. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:47 pm
Excellent. *highfives*  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 pm
When I am writing I automaticall switch into my high level vocabulary. My teacher thought I plagerised because I was writing on a college level..

And he was to stupid to know what the words meant.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:46 pm
I got a 90 when my teacher didn't know what sentient meant. Frikkin' moron.

Her sister is WAY smarter than her...  

KirbyVictorious

xXxFollowMexXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:55 pm
KirbyVictorious

Please tell me that this was at least not an English teacher. If it was you should complain to the administration about how crappy that teacher is... actually ANY teacher should know what sentient means, even gym teachers...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 pm
It was an English teacher.

I know. I fear for humanity too.

Sidenote: what's Nihilistic mean?  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:09 pm
Ni I like you already.

You are active.

wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 pm
KirbyVictorious

Former knowledge is not a viable representation of intelligence. ERmm If I'm not mistaken the movement that determined that was the same one that got rid of grammar as a grade school subject in england. Dont quote me on that though sweatdrop

wait a sec....sentient...being able to precieve things????? why would some one need to know that? granted it's a useful word I suppose...but you can't expect your english teacher to pocess all of the words in the english vocabulary...I mean there are like a million of them. [ That's a fact I'm fairly certain of.]

or am I missing something here....  

NovaKing

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:38 am
It MATTERS because I coulda got a frikkin' 100 but ooooooh no, it was too much trouble to look it up. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:29 am
KirbyVictorious
It MATTERS because I coulda got a frikkin' 100 but ooooooh no, it was too much trouble to look it up. stare

questionable.....  

NovaKing

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:47 am
Nova has a point. You should be prepared to have teachers with a questionable intellect. But the fact of the matter is they are your superiors and you should pay them the same amount of respect.

No matter what.  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces