Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Dumb Things You've Heard Said About LotR Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Melian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:44 pm
This isn't stupid, it's just kind of cute.

I was working a few nights ago, and this family comes through my line with a bunch of junk that people always buy. The little boy was holding two books. The one he was reading just happened to be the Silmarillion. I'd say this kid was around 12, maybe even younger than that. The other book he had was the Spongebob movie novelization. I didn't really want to tell this kid he probably wouldn't understand the book, not unless he was some sort of genius. His mom kept telling him he wouldn't read it, but he said "I love Lord of the Rings. I want it.." XD So he ended up getting the book. It totally slipped my mind at the time to ask him if he had even read the trilogy.

Hopefully if he doesn't get it, he'll keep it around and read it later.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:37 pm
Melian
This isn't stupid, it's just kind of cute.

I was working a few nights ago, and this family comes through my line with a bunch of junk that people always buy. The little boy was holding two books. The one he was reading just happened to be the Silmarillion. I'd say this kid was around 12, maybe even younger than that. The other book he had was the Spongebob movie novelization. I didn't really want to tell this kid he probably wouldn't understand the book, not unless he was some sort of genius. His mom kept telling him he wouldn't read it, but he said "I love Lord of the Rings. I want it.." XD So he ended up getting the book. It totally slipped my mind at the time to ask him if he had even read the trilogy.

Hopefully if he doesn't get it, he'll keep it around and read it later.

that's so adorable. A year or two ago my little brother (who would have been 11 at the time?) wanted to buy the trilogy but he wanted to buy them all at once and it wasn't affordable so he picked out 'Unfinished Tales' instead and then at first he found it hard to read and I told him that he should read it when he's older but then he got the whole defiant thing going and the bugger read the whole thing. It took him a month but he did it so I bought him the hobbit for his birthday-he read that and then bought the fellowship and has read that and now is in the middle of TTT. Gotta love him.  

Nolah de Fanel

Zurgi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:37 pm
With the stories of younger kids reading Tolkien...I swear I shall try and get my half-brother to read the Hobbit as soon as he's old enough to read novels xd He's only 3 now though, so I've got a while to wait whee  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:41 pm
In english today, we were talking about which book each person wanted to do for a book review, and I picked LotR.
I mentioned Tolkien, saying "He [I forgot what I said exactly]" and one of my friends looked at me strangely, and asked "Tolkien is a guy?"

At first I just looked at him, then sighed and finally began laughing at him.  

Kementari

Nolah de Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:10 am
Kementari
In english today, we were talking about which book each person wanted to do for a book review, and I picked LotR.
I mentioned Tolkien, saying "He [I forgot what I said exactly]" and one of my friends looked at me strangely, and asked "Tolkien is a guy?"

Oh dear...that's...**joins in the laughter** He's a guy?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:13 am
Kementari

You get to pick a book to review? gonk That would be so easy.  

Khorkalba

Nolah de Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:18 am
Longbow UK
Kementari

Mhm...That gets frustrating but in 12U english we finally got to pick a book of our choice (although it had to be by a Candian Author) and then...welll write pages and pages of comparions and such. I would have picked 'The Persian Boy' but Mary Renault isn't Canadian  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:21 am
Nolah
Longbow UK
Kementari

Mhm...That gets frustrating but in 12U english we finally got to pick a book of our choice (although it had to be by a Candian Author) and then...welll write pages and pages of comparions and such. I would have picked 'The Persian Boy' but Mary Renault isn't Canadian

I would love to be studying Tolkien, it would almost be a guaranteed pass too. *sigh* Even at college we are assigned books to review. We're looking at the Canterbury Tales at the moment which isn't too bad. sweatdrop  

Khorkalba

Zurgi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:49 am
We're assigned books...although I think this year (grade 10) we get to do a review on a book of our choice, as long as it's either set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

I might choose something by David Adams Richard...just for the sole reason that I'm related to him xd Woot.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:23 pm
Nolah
Kementari

Oh dear...that's...**joins in the laughter** He's a guy?

Yes, the sad part is that he says he's read LotR before, and he wasn't at school today, he must be ashamed of his foolishness. xp

Longbow UK

I think there will be more to it then that. A grade 12 book review can't be that easy.
I do know that we will have to talk to the class about the book, and explain why we think it it good, and we could talk about the author if we have the information.  

Kementari

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:04 am
Kementari

Longbow UK

I think there will be more to it then that. A grade 12 book review can't be that easy.
I do know that we will have to talk to the class about the book, and explain why we think it it good, and we could talk about the author if we have the information.

Easy wasn't the best way of putting it... but it helps a lot if you've studied the books in depth beforehand.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 am
Longbow UK
Kementari

Longbow UK

Easy wasn't the best way of putting it... but it helps a lot if you've studied the books in depth beforehand.

Definately. Although I had read Clockwork Orange before we studied it last year...and then the teacher got put on probation for letting us watch the movie in class...  

Nolah de Fanel

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:43 am
Nolah
Longbow UK
Kementari

Longbow UK

Definately. Although I had read Clockwork Orange before we studied it last year...and then the teacher got put on probation for letting us watch the movie in class...

We're studying A Clockwork Orange after Christmas. smile I haven't had a chance to read it yet, is it any good?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:51 pm
Longbow UK
Nolah
Longbow UK
Kementari

Longbow UK

We're studying A Clockwork Orange after Christmas. smile I haven't had a chance to read it yet, is it any good?

Once you get past the language, I'm a huge fan though 3nodding . Hopefully your teacher will give you a glossary for it. We certainly needed it sweatdrop  

Nolah de Fanel

curumo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:28 pm
Glossary shmossary. Only the American edition included one of those and what does that say? xp wink

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange is the most fantastic book ever. Well, not ever, but it's pretty damn horrorshow. I'm just tickled that this is what we're gavoreeting about, o my brothers. But really, as you read, you can find out what the words mean by their context and repetition. Please don't use a glossary. It would make me cry. Also, Scruffy the janitor would cry. And so would Burgess. You can look at one after you read it though.

Also, I'm not being pushy or anything. And the language was my second favourite part. 3nodding  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff