Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why is it that when people find out that I don't believe... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sort of a rant.
  But it's honest.
View Results

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:36 pm
ProjectOmicron88

With religion...I dunno. Everything just becomes like a matter of life and death to people.

...Oh. Right.

*snicker* whee

I completely know what you mean, Xiporah (and as it seems, everyone else does as well ). When I first started telling people I was an atheist, I had no problem getting into a debate with them about it because I felt like I was defending my beliefs.

Now I'm just..."Ugh, shut up."

Actually, just telling them flat-out that you don't want to have a debate over your beliefs seems to work just fine, I've found out. Most people seem to accept that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:48 am
hachimitsugirl
I explicitly understand your desire to be left alone. The most difficult thing about being an unbeliever is resenting the hold that cultish points of view have over the majority of the people surrounding me. That resentment leads to exasperation is certain.

However, being up for a debate is tantamount to taking up laconic arms against those who simply don't know any better. Think of debate as a necessary discomfort as it appears we have a slight duty to at least make ourselves known when put to the issue. Believe me, I'd much rather be part of a majority but it may take some bickering to get there.

*looks up 'laconic'.*

I honestly don't care about it enough to debate. Sometimes, this has worked for me in the past.

"Have you believed in god your whole life?"
"Yes."
"And could you just stop believing?"
"No!"
"Then what makes you think I can just start beliving?"

It usually invites conversion attempts though.

I mean, I've had a little speech brewing up in my head for a while, but I need to look up dates and memorize it. I have a full time job and a house hold to run, with bills and a mortgage to pay and animals to take care of. I just don't tend to think about it until someone tries to argue with me. I was raised in a household without religion, so it's just never been important to think about, let alone talk about.

Xiporah

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:14 pm
It's a stereotype. Due to some among our number, many theists assume that atheists are militant and just want to attack other people for thier beliefs and all that jazz.

It's like, we are supposed to have prepared argument...all cooked up and ready to be served. That happened once to me on Gaia. Someone PM'd me wanting to argue with me, and wanting me to argue my beliefs or something like that.

I told her that I was not interested, and that I am not that kind of person to do that....and she kept bugging me. So finally I ignore listed her. The thing is...you can't ignore list people in real life.... stare

The only thing you can do is just be polite and say "I'm not interested in a debate or a battle of wits. It's not my kind of thing" or something that effects. Say it enough times and they might get the point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 am
I don't debate it either. I told my coworkers about a year ago. They asked me why I didn't believe, I told them, and they left it at that. Most of them don't believe in organized religion, but they do believe in a god of some sort. I usually don't tell unless I'm asked, or it comes up in a conversation somehow. I don't blame you for not wanting to debate. There's no point to it. They aren't going to change their minds, and neither are you.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:53 am
Avicia
I don't debate it either. I told my coworkers about a year ago. They asked me why I didn't believe, I told them, and they left it at that. Most of them don't believe in organized religion, but they do believe in a god of some sort. I usually don't tell unless I'm asked, or it comes up in a conversation somehow. I don't blame you for not wanting to debate. There's no point to it. They aren't going to change their minds, and neither are you.

That happened to me too, when I told my boss I was atheist. She's Christian, but she, like me, can't stand people who advertise religion (pamphleteers, etc.). That pretty much made my day. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:07 pm
AnonymouZ
The question is not why it happens to you. The question is why do you keep hanging out with those people if they are trying to convert you. Or in a more hypocritical kind of way. "why would you even say you're atheist, just keep your thoughts to yourself and everyone, including you of course, will be happy forever! yay!"

*throws up a little*

Well, they may not be happy forever, but at least your roomate won't tell every person who enters your room that have never meet you before that your an atheist forcing a debate/look of scorn/running someone off even before you get a chance to say hi. Believe me, I hate to say it, but you really cant bring up religion when you first meet somebody. There are too many stereotypes to overcome. Thats all I have to say. Honestly, unless its a good friend, keep it to yourself. Its not a fair world and we are seriously outnumbered.  

jkmetal

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:54 pm
jkmetal
Well, they may not be happy forever, but at least your roomate won't tell every person who enters your room that have never meet you before that your an atheist forcing a debate/look of scorn/running someone off even before you get a chance to say hi. Believe me, I hate to say it, but you really cant bring up religion when you first meet somebody. There are too many stereotypes to overcome. Thats all I have to say. Honestly, unless its a good friend, keep it to yourself. Its not a fair world and we are seriously outnumbered.

Well...the opposite approach is what I use. I make sure everyone knows I'm an Atheist before I try to make close friends with them. It filters out a lot of the unwanted awkwardness of revealing it after the relationship has started and watching the friendship suffer. I understand sometimes, when you're depending on other people for a living (parents for college, roommate for housing, etc) it can be very difficult.

But the best part of being an Atheist is just playing it cool. You aren't under some intense pressure from God to complete an evangelical mission. To use the vulgar argot, "I straight don't give a ********!" You don't have to flaunt it or defend it - that's your choice and human right.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:45 pm
Heh, this reminds me of this time where my friend was talking about her christian religion, and asking me if I agreed with her views. I said no and that I was an atheist. For some reason, the whole room got quiet and people I wasn't even talking to started yelling in shock. Then they all started throwing their "religious knowledge" at me, expecting me to find flaws in their religion. I was like, "WTF, dude, I've never read the bible! The only time I ever looked at it was back when I was 9, in sunday school... Even then, I wasn't paying attention much!" They automatically assumed that I was just ignorant of their belief and thus tried to find flaws in my atheistic views(by using the bible, nonetheless)... I tried to ignore them, honestly! But, I've been known to speak my mind sweatdrop
Normally, I would say to just stay silent and don't even mention that you're atheist. But from personal experience, I know that if you stay silent, then the "enemy" (not literally) is going to feel victorious. That, and I just hate giving in. I'm stubborn that way. If we stay silent, then we're just going to have to hear people talk gibberish about so and so religion (with them thinking that you agree). I just find that annoying. Then again, this is coming from the person who has strange dreams telling her to start an anti-religion revolution. Don't ask, long story. xp  

ra-miew

Consign to Oblivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am
Xiporah
...in god, that they automatically assume that I want to sit down for three hours and compare notes and have an intellectual battle of wits using my mutant bible knowedge powers?

Dude. I don't even have a bible in my house, much less have read one. Honestly, what the hell am I going to do with a bible? They make me uncomfortable. So do churches. They always have, ever since I was a child.

Leave me alone. Seriously, just go away.

I have a good feeling I am honestly alone in this respect. I just honestly want to be left alone. Religion doesn't apply to me. End of story. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to be labled as an atheist anymore.

yea...I see what your sayin, but people who don't understnad how you feel will just say crap like that. It happens to me alot, just because I'm an atheist everyone assumes I'm emo (fyi I don't even dress like an emo to begin with) & I hate life. My perspective isn't really that gloom & doom wither, I jsut believe that religion is just a distraction. God is just a humans security blanket.So I understand where your comming from that crap pisses me off to! but don't let it get to you to the point where your getting all upset about it. Whatever, screw those people!Just brush it of your shoulder you know.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 am
i know exactly what you mean.
being aithiest dosent mean your rwady to whip out super god knowledge. i dont NEED to clarify why im this way, its my choice and im not going to discuss it, or quote Leviticus loudly on a street corner.
no, i dont even like talking about it either.
its just...me.

Mr woman

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
HAHAHA that reminds me of this guy who a few months ago I saw near the theater on a Saturday night. He was spouting out Biblical stuff... I wanted to walk over there and start an argument.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:10 pm
Oddly enough, nobody cares. Then again, I'm not exactly an atheist, so...  

Kiyrugoji

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:54 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I'm always down for a debate. I have a few bibles in my house, some copies of the New Testament, and a Book of Mormon. There's this great website that delivers bibles for free. A few months after I got one, they sent a little pamphlet on why the Bible is right. It's a pretty funny read lol
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I found the site. Here's a link if anyone is interested. I think I might order one, but I can't really ask my parents... they'd think it weird....

I live in the bible belt as well. most of em think I'm christian, but a few know, and I think that they're kind of scared of me biggrin .

The link is kind of long... YOU CAN ALSO GET A BOOK OF MORMON!

LINK!!!

Baron von Turkeypants
EDIT: All my friends are Catholic. I don't have any atheist friends

You can be my friend!! domokun  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items