Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"You chose to not believe in God!" LOLWUT?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:02 am
Quote:
Raising a child in an airtight secular vacuum is just as shitty as drowning them in religion.

Hmm.. if you mean removing them from all knowledge of religion, then yes. In that it robs them of a valuable insight into human nature, and a powerful force that affects other people's motives.

But if you mean protecting them from all attempts to brainwash them into religion by religious people.. then I have to disagree.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 pm
I'd be a fool to make a soldier and then send them into combat unarmed and unaware of what they're fighting.  

Theophrastus

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:27 pm
ProjectOmicron88
I never really grew up with a religion. When I looked objectively at it, I thought, "Hah! No." And here I am.

Well said. That was how it was with me, as my parents were nice enough not to indoctrinate me, so when I was first exposed to religion (I can't remember when) I probably laughed. "Who would believe in such nonsense?"  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 am
I spent most of my life trying to be "spiritual", but after a while I realized that I was just too logical to believe in a higher power. Luckily, both of my parents are agnostic, and did not force me to believe in anything.  

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:35 pm
As you mature your veiws will become more set, or...solid..

Like when you final brain cells settle in many thing come to light....or it takes a push from a friend or family member.

Bottom line, Im glad you found out what you truly believe in, it doesn't do anyone any good to follow belifs given to you by someone else (parents) and not question them later...unless they fit you completly. Then by all means stay.

For me it took years of questioning and finally getting the awnsers i wanted/ needed, before i realised i wasn't a religious person. I was a scientific thinker. And god limits that for people i thinking, having to belive in....the unicorns......(LOL, i liked that post you had..)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:36 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Unfortunately, it's true that people stop having new beliefs as they get older. They tend to get some sort of crazy idea that since they're older, what they believe at the moment must be truer than what they believed a few years ago. So sad User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:36 am
My family never really forced anything on me, and we only went to church a couple times when I was a kid. My family believes in god and all the crud, but I just cant picture some dude sitting up on a cloud watching us trash eachother down here.

I do not believe in God, or a higher power.

It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, and its difficult to try and believe it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25 pm
it's not really what ur mind consciously decides on.... it's more like how u feel about god's existence.

like, after i heard all the facts i gathered from both sides (both religious and atheistic) i feel like the atheistic things make more sense to me.  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:27 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
Oh boy, am I glad my beliefs aren't dictated by feelings and emotions User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:37 pm
Well I chose atheism because religion makes no sense whatsoever and well this feels right  

Sergeant CJ

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:42 pm
It's all about feeeeeeeeling  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
It's all about feeeeeeeeling

It's more than a feeling. When I hear that old song they used to play.
I begin dreaming.
'Til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away...  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:59 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
It's more than a feeeeeling it's more than a feeeeling!
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:06 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
It's more than a feeeeeling it's more than a feeeeling!
ni el dinero ni el amor

She slipped aWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!  

ProjectOmicron88

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces