Name Origins Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moonlit Masquerade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:38 pm
Kamikaze Pedestrian
What a fun thread! One of all the good things about Yuki Is the effort she puts on choosing the right names.

I read that "Kurai" really is the japanese pronunciation of the word "cry". snce she cries so much. whee Cute.

Your analyse (how on earth do you spell that?) Of CC names is impressive, but does anyone know where she got Hargreaves from? According to my encyclopedia it's the name of the man who invented the automatic weaving machine. It doesn't feel quite right...

I agree, this is a really fun thread to read! I thought Kurai meant dark or black or something like that in Japanese.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:58 pm
Moonlit Masquerade
Kamikaze Pedestrian
What a fun thread! One of all the good things about Yuki Is the effort she puts on choosing the right names.

I read that "Kurai" really is the japanese pronunciation of the word "cry". snce she cries so much. whee Cute.

Your analyse (how on earth do you spell that?) Of CC names is impressive, but does anyone know where she got Hargreaves from? According to my encyclopedia it's the name of the man who invented the automatic weaving machine. It doesn't feel quite right...

I agree, this is a really fun thread to read! I thought Kurai meant dark or black or something like that in Japanese.

Kuro is black in Japanese, but there are plenty of other deriviatives of the same kanji, and tons of other kanji that mean dark, darkness, etc...
I have to go back and check what the kanji for Kurai's name is, I dont remember.
But I have see Kurai's name written as Cry...but her name isnt written in katakana in the manga, so I dont know if its supposed to mean Cry or not o_O
Did I make any sense?

::laughs:: Maybe Kaori Yuki just looked up some Victorian people in the encyclopedia and just went "Oh, that sounds nice..."  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:09 pm
alicelights
Sai-kun
alicelights
According of Kaori Yuki, she choose the name 'Sara' because it sounded foreign.

I hadn't heard that name untill I read Frances Hodgeson Burnett's 'A Little Princess', where the main character (a little girl) is called Sara Crewe.

If the name isn't Japanese, it might well be English, and as we already know Yuki-san likes Victorian things-

Sara and Setsuna are half British half Japanese, hence their light colored hair and eyes, and also why people readily recognize them as brother and sister.

Sara lives with their British mother, divorced from the Japanese side of their family, thus Kaori Yuki probably wanted to choose that "foreign" name...just my two cents :3

thats a good point. I completly forgot about their being half-British when I wrote that. Interesting that Setsuna still has a Japanese name. anything in that, I wonder?

just two cents? I'll throw in two pence to go along~

Their mother loved Sara and despised Setsuna for being a delinquent, and also because Setsuna was more open about his feelings for his sister.
Setsuna and Sara's dad is never mentioned in the manga, but he's the Japanese side of the family and while Sara went and lived with their mother in Britain, Setsuna stayed behind with his father, presumably, though during the manga it would appear he lives alone.

Setsuna's father probably gave him the Japanese name since their mother will have nothing to do with him.
I think it just emphasizes how seperated Setsuna and Sara are.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:43 pm
Kamikaze Pedestrian

I suggested that 'Hargreaves' came from 'Alice Hargreaves'. The married name of Alice Liddel. She was the little girl who was told 'Alice In Wonderland' stories by Louis Carol. I say it a few posts from the top, near my Disraeli post- The second from the first  

alicelights

alicelights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Sai-kun
Moonlit Masquerade
Kamikaze Pedestrian

Kuro is black in Japanese, but there are plenty of other deriviatives of the same kanji, and tons of other kanji that mean dark, darkness, etc...
I have to go back and check what the kanji for Kurai's name is, I dont remember.
But I have see Kurai's name written as Cry...but her name isnt written in katakana in the manga, so I dont know if its supposed to mean Cry or not o_O
Did I make any sense?

::laughs:: Maybe Kaori Yuki just looked up some Victorian people in the encyclopedia and just went "Oh, that sounds nice..."
Not unlikely, but the Victorian era is facinating to learn about so she might well have done her research.

I think Yuki-san, herself, said that Kurai was for 'cry'  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:52 pm
Moonlit Masquerade
Kamikaze Pedestrian

Thanks, sadly not many people have commented here. I couldn't get access for a few days and it seems to have died-  

alicelights

dead.moki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:23 pm
Cain and Abel.
4:1 * The man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have produced a man with the help of the LORD."
4:2 Next she bore his brother Abel. Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil.
4:3 In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the soil,
4:4 while Abel, for his part, brought one of the best firstlings of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
4:5 but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen.
4:6 So the LORD said to Cain: "Why are you so resentful and crestfallen?
4:7 * If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master."
4:8 Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out in the field." When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
4:9 Then the LORD asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" He answered, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
4:10 The LORD then said: "What have you done! Listen: your brother's blood cries out to me from the soil!
4:11 Therefore you shall be banned from the soil that opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.
4:12 If you till the soil, it shall no longer give you its produce. You shall become a restless wanderer on the earth."
4:13 Cain said to the LORD: "My punishment is too great to bear.
4:14 Since you have now banished me from the soil, and I must avoid your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, anyone may kill me at sight."
4:15 * "Not so!" the LORD said to him. "If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged sevenfold." So the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest anyone should kill him at sight.
4:16 * Cain then left the LORD'S presence and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

Descendants of Cain and Seth.
4:17 * Cain had relations with his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. Cain also became the founder of a city, which he named after his son Enoch.
4:18 To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad became the father of Mehujael; Mehujael became the father of Methusael, and Methusael became the father of Lamech.
4:19 Lamech took two wives; the name of the first was Adah, and the name of the second Zillah.
4:20 Adah gave birth to Jabal, the ancestor of all who dwell in tents and keep cattle.
4:21 His brother's name was Jubal; he was the ancestor of all who play the lyre and the pipe.
4:22 Zillah, on her part, gave birth to Tubalcain, the ancestor of all who forge instruments of bronze and iron. The sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.
4:23 Lamech said to his wives:
"Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
wives of Lamech, listen to my utterance:
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a boy for bruising me.

4:24 If Cain is avenged sevenfold,
then Lamech seventy-sevenfold."

4:25 * Adam again had relations with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom she called Seth. "God has granted me more offspring in place of Abel," she said, "because Cain slew him."
4:26 To Seth, in turn, a son was born, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to invoke the LORD by name.

----

Pretty much, because Abel had greater faith in God he sacrificed something worth a lot to himself and his family, and because God favored this over Cain's gift, Cain became jealous... I suppose it does make God look like a jerk...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:21 pm
dead.moki
Cain and Abel.
4:1 * The man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have produced a man with the help of the LORD."
4:2 Next she bore his brother Abel. Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil.
4:3 In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the soil,
4:4 while Abel, for his part, brought one of the best firstlings of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
4:5 but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen.
4:6 So the LORD said to Cain: "Why are you so resentful and crestfallen?
4:7 * If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master."
4:8 Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out in the field." When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
4:9 Then the LORD asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" He answered, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
4:10 The LORD then said: "What have you done! Listen: your brother's blood cries out to me from the soil!
4:11 Therefore you shall be banned from the soil that opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.
4:12 If you till the soil, it shall no longer give you its produce. You shall become a restless wanderer on the earth."
4:13 Cain said to the LORD: "My punishment is too great to bear.
4:14 Since you have now banished me from the soil, and I must avoid your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, anyone may kill me at sight."
4:15 * "Not so!" the LORD said to him. "If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged sevenfold." So the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest anyone should kill him at sight.
4:16 * Cain then left the LORD'S presence and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

Descendants of Cain and Seth.
4:17 * Cain had relations with his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. Cain also became the founder of a city, which he named after his son Enoch.
4:18 To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad became the father of Mehujael; Mehujael became the father of Methusael, and Methusael became the father of Lamech.
4:19 Lamech took two wives; the name of the first was Adah, and the name of the second Zillah.
4:20 Adah gave birth to Jabal, the ancestor of all who dwell in tents and keep cattle.
4:21 His brother's name was Jubal; he was the ancestor of all who play the lyre and the pipe.
4:22 Zillah, on her part, gave birth to Tubalcain, the ancestor of all who forge instruments of bronze and iron. The sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.
4:23 Lamech said to his wives:
"Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
wives of Lamech, listen to my utterance:
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a boy for bruising me.

4:24 If Cain is avenged sevenfold,
then Lamech seventy-sevenfold."

4:25 * Adam again had relations with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom she called Seth. "God has granted me more offspring in place of Abel," she said, "because Cain slew him."
4:26 To Seth, in turn, a son was born, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to invoke the LORD by name.

----

Pretty much, because Abel had greater faith in God he sacrificed something worth a lot to himself and his family, and because God favored this over Cain's gift, Cain became jealous... I suppose it does make God look like a jerk...
Wow, thats really interesting. You have a significant amount of knowledge here. Are you a very dedicated Christian? -or are you studying it?  

alicelights

alicelights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:45 pm
''Kira'' - kila - ''killer''

I was reading ''Death Note'' last night (discovered thanks to dead.moki, whose signiture brought me to download it). There is a character refered to as ''Kira'' who guesses it stands for ''killer''.

If ''Kurai'' is ''cry'', ''Kira'' could be ''killer'', I suppose. Makes me wonder how many other names have an english world connected...

hm, I wonder what Sakuya means-  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:38 pm
alicelights

I was reading ''Death Note'' last night (discovered thanks to dead.moki, whose signiture brought me to download it). There is a character refered to as ''Kira'' who guesses it stands for ''killer''.

If ''Kurai'' is ''cry'', ''Kira'' could be ''killer'', I suppose. Makes me wonder how many other names have an english world connected...

Ahhh yes...Death Note XD
Kira is such a bad pun, but you have to love it if you love Death Note...

Geez...its been a long time since I read the Angel Sanctuary manga...I have to go see what kanji Kira's name is in...
As for Sakuya...its not an totally out there first name...also will have to double check the kanji for this...  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:32 pm
Sai-kun
alicelights

Ahhh yes...Death Note XD
Kira is such a bad pun, but you have to love it if you love Death Note...

Geez...its been a long time since I read the Angel Sanctuary manga...I have to go see what kanji Kira's name is in...
As for Sakuya...its not an totally out there first name...also will have to double check the kanji for this...

Death Note is the love.
If "Kira" came from killer, that would prove her once again to have a nice kind of humour...

I've been reading through the side columns in AS, and she writes there that arachne comes from a greece myth about a woman who got turned into a spider be a godess, jelous of her beauty. Quite fitting for such an astonishing "woman"
as Arachne. whee

Alicelights
I suggested that 'Hargreaves' came from 'Alice Hargreaves'. The married name of Alice Liddel. She was the little girl who was told 'Alice In Wonderland' stories by Louis Carol. I say it a few posts from the top, near my Disraeli post- The second from the first

This just shows that I should read everyones posts more carefully now on. Thanks for telling me! That is likely to be it...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:43 pm
alicelights
Wow, thats really interesting. You have a significant amount of knowledge here. Are you a very dedicated Christian? -or are you studying it?

I'm really not that knowledgable, I just have to have an electronic Bible on my computer for my religion class. biggrin  

dead.moki

dead.moki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:46 pm
alicelights

Hahaha~! Mission accomplished... mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:54 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]