Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Increasing the Minimum wage Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mousers09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 pm
Kira84
The Hallowed Mouse
Did you read my last post, if someone raises the minimum wage then product price will increase, or layoffs/firings, and Idaho does follow our federal minimum wage which is $5.15 just to let you know for future purposes, all states must comply!

I don't think that's completely accurate. States can set their minimum wages higher than $5.15. My state recently raised it to... I think it's $6.75... and I know it's at least that much or more in California. The campaign to raise the minimum wage kept comparing us to other states with higher minimum wages, so I know the individual states have at least some control to raise it.

Well... yeah, but the minimum wage CANNOT be lower than $5.15!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:23 am
It shouldn't get too high. Putting it up there at 7.15 an hour just promotes illegal immigration and overseas business. No company would want to hire Americans except for grocery stores, and movie theaters.  

Garrett31212

Kira84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:54 pm
Mousers09
Kira84
The Hallowed Mouse
Did you read my last post, if someone raises the minimum wage then product price will increase, or layoffs/firings, and Idaho does follow our federal minimum wage which is $5.15 just to let you know for future purposes, all states must comply!

I don't think that's completely accurate. States can set their minimum wages higher than $5.15. My state recently raised it to... I think it's $6.75... and I know it's at least that much or more in California. The campaign to raise the minimum wage kept comparing us to other states with higher minimum wages, so I know the individual states have at least some control to raise it.

Well... yeah, but the minimum wage CANNOT be lower than $5.15!

True. Only pointing out that it does vary state to state, it doesn't necessarily have to be set at $5.15.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:04 pm
Garrett31212
It shouldn't get too high. Putting it up there at 7.15 an hour just promotes illegal immigration and overseas business. No company would want to hire Americans except for grocery stores, and movie theaters.

Liberals keep wanting to have a minimum wage that is also a living wage, so people can support their families. But that type of job is not meant for people with families, or really even people who are going to try to live on those wages. They're aimed at highschoolers, maybe college students still being supported by family, and retired people who need something to do. In short, people with another source of income.

Plus, the stereotypical argument still holds: raising minimum wage is bad for small businesses.  

Kira84

[Ish-Kabibble]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 pm
To my knowledge, aren't the businesses that have to pay the new minimum wage businesses that make 1 Mil+ a year? I work in a grocery store that pays me $6.50 an hour, $7.20 an hour on sundays and in one year, we make more than 1 Mil. Of course I could be wrong/it could vary from state to state, but I don't mind the change, but it shouldn't be raised too much, out of fear the closing of small businesses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:10 pm
[Ish-Kabibble]
To my knowledge, aren't the businesses that have to pay the new minimum wage businesses that make 1 Mil+ a year? I work in a grocery store that pays me $6.50 an hour, $7.20 an hour on sundays and in one year, we make more than 1 Mil. Of course I could be wrong/it could vary from state to state, but I don't mind the change, but it shouldn't be raised too much, out of fear the closing of small businesses.

Huh?  

Mousers09

[Ish-Kabibble]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:03 pm
Mousers09
[Ish-Kabibble]

Huh?
Well, I just checked it out and in my state(Missouri) the law is that if your business doesn't make more than 500k+ per year, the minimum wage is the same as the old one was. I don't know what it's like in y'alls states, though. :[  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:45 pm
Uh, people, no one can live on the current minimum wage. It's below the poverty level. Why should people work themselves to death working more than one job, when all they have to do is work one job with a decent wage?  

Gelasius

Mousers09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 pm
Gelasius
Uh, people, no one can live on the current minimum wage. It's below the poverty level. Why should people work themselves to death working more than one job, when all they have to do is work one job with a decent wage?

It's not meant for people to live on, no matter what we will always have a wage below poverty line, but if we raise it, it's either people lose jobs or companies raise prices, their pick, so it's not going to matter!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:58 am
Minimum Wage is already high enough. Increasing it even more would be a huge mistake. Soon, people (namely the upcoming generation) will begin to realize "Hey, I don't have to graduate, I can just go get a job at McDonald's. Sure my life will be horrible/boring/on the verge of suicidal, but hey, at least I don't have to actually try to accomplish anything."  

Last_Gunslingr

Mousers09

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:11 pm
Last_Gunslingr
Minimum Wage is already high enough. Increasing it even more would be a huge mistake. Soon, people (namely the upcoming generation) will begin to realize "Hey, I don't have to graduate, I can just go get a job at McDonald's. Sure my life will be horrible/boring/on the verge of suicidal, but hey, at least I don't have to actually try to accomplish anything."

Inflation will catch up by then and it will be equal, which is why minimum wage is pointless!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:57 am
Gelasius
Well, that's right, well I may have faked it...

As was stated before, the Minimum Wage isn't ment to live on.

The average american actually makes WAY above the minimum wage. Even for people who haven't attended college.

I have a friend who makes 22 dollars an hour answering phones. She never went to college and she's living just fine.

...and I wouldn't be caught dead in this place.

Click...? Pweese?

[Ish-Kabibble]

Necroscape

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:41 pm
Raising minimum wage puts more money into people's pockets, yes, but it also puts more people out of work. A company that could hire 5 workers now has to fire some of them because they can't afford it. What happens when each person is a valuable worker? The business goes under. I've seen it happen already. Now, there is another alternative for that business, it's to raise their prices. And there are repercussions for that as well.

One person can live on minimum wage. If you can't afford to then your living beyond on your means.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:57 pm
Necroscape
Raising minimum wage puts more money into people's pockets, yes, but it also puts more people out of work. A company that could hire 5 workers now has to fire some of them because they can't afford it. What happens when each person is a valuable worker? The business goes under. I've seen it happen already. Now, there is another alternative for that business, it's to raise their prices. And there are repercussions for that as well.

One person can live on minimum wage. If you can't afford to then your living beyond on your means.
There's a lot of truth to the whole price raising thing.

I work in a grocery store (started in Feb 07) and over just one year I've noticed prices rising. A loaf of bread that was once 54 cents is now 68. THe price of milk going up was the worst though. D:  

[Ish-Kabibble]

The Hallowed Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:30 pm
[Ish-Kabibble]
Necroscape

There's a lot of truth to the whole price raising thing.

I work in a grocery store (started in Feb 07) and over just one year I've noticed prices rising. A loaf of bread that was once 54 cents is now 68. THe price of milk going up was the worst though. D:

We felt the affect of that at home, my stepdad loves cheese cheese_whine  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces