Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Powerfull Argument For Atheism: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:57 pm
This might sound like a good arguement. But the rediculous counter of "God works in mysterious ways" does offer a problem.

Let us say Malina the Unicorn goddess is omnipotent. She can do anything. Malina is also all knowing, and can see the future.

Malina could know that her first main creations will shame her, but chose to not act on it. Malina could know what is to come but choose to not interfere. She can do anything, but that doesn't mean she will do everything. It's like a stick of dynomite. So what if it is left over from the initial blast that took down the building that was scheduled for destruction. Does that mean you use it to blow up a nearby gas station, just because you have it?

See the problem? That is why it's kind of useless trying to use logic in the fact of certain fractual religious claims. They can throw logic out the winder whenever they please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 pm
Sanguvixen
This might sound like a good arguement. But the rediculous counter of "God works in mysterious ways" does offer a problem.

Let us say Malina the Unicorn goddess is omnipotent. She can do anything. Malina is also all knowing, and can see the future.

Malina could know that her first main creations will shame her, but chose to not act on it. Malina could know what is to come but choose to not interfere. She can do anything, but that doesn't mean she will do everything. It's like a stick of dynomite. So what if it is left over from the initial blast that took down the building that was scheduled for destruction. Does that mean you use it to blow up a nearby gas station, just because you have it?

See the problem? That is why it's kind of useless trying to use logic in the fact of certain fractual religious claims. They can throw logic out the winder whenever they please.

o_o

I didn't understand any of that.

Could you please re-phrase it?  

Theophrastus

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 am
If God is omniscient and omnipotent, then wouldn't he have taken preventative measure against atheists and other groups that openly deny his existence?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:20 am
Tsk, but we're here to test their faith and as a challenge for the more hardcore ones to convert us, didn't you realise?

{/sarcasm}  

ficklefiend

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:07 pm
levis pennae
If God is omniscient and omnipotent, then wouldn't he have taken preventative measure against atheists and other groups that openly deny his existence?

I'd also imagine someone as all-powerful as a potential God would also deem religion to be somewhat pointless, if the focus of it is an affirmation of his greatness. He doesn't need to be showered with praise for millenia, he would know how awesome he is right off the bat.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:35 pm
The old reply Christians (Southern Baptists, to be exact) would give me to that was that he wanted to see something love him of its own free will, to give it the chance to deny him.

But does that mean that God has wants? Desires? What other afflictions possess him? In fact isn't it that God becomes jealous or wrathful when he is defied? So this states two things: God is not perfect (why else would he have wants and needs?) and God is not omnipotent (why else could the master of the universe be at the heel of emotions spurred by our actions?).  

Theophrastus

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:42 pm
Theophrastus
The old reply Christians (Southern Baptists, to be exact) would give me to that was that he wanted to see something love him of its own free will, to give it the chance to deny him.

But does that mean that God has wants? Desires? What other afflictions possess him? In fact isn't it that God becomes jealous or wrathful when he is defied? So this states two things: God is not perfect (why else would he have wants and needs?) and God is not omnipotent (why else could the master of the universe be at the heel of emotions spurred by our actions?).

It also goes to show that if he hates dissent, but gives us the option to choose, then he's responsible for a cosmic-scale case of hypocrisy.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:21 pm
I think I know what you're trying to say. sweatdrop

Mormons are REALLY thick. Of almost all Christian religions, I would have to say that Mormonism is the worst. The kids are brainwashed from birth...anyway!

When I try to put all of this past them, they say "God wanted to see his children grow". Meaning he wanted us to screw up and kill each other while he watches the show eating a bag of popcorn and reclining in his big cushy armchair. sad  

I Was The Moon

Misumi Kuro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:19 am
Good point. There are so many holes in God it's easy to destroy it. :3  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:14 pm
Theophrastus
Sanguvixen

o_o

I didn't understand any of that.

Could you please re-phrase it?

My apologies.

Hmmmm....Two things commonly occur when people are talking about the god or gods that they believe in. One is a claim that the god is Omni-potent. That he or she can do anything. The other is the claim that the god is Omniscient. That he or she can forsee anything.

It can be argued by a believer that a god can be Omniscient and Omnipotent, and the reason why the diety doesn't always act on things that happen, or doesn't always intervene is because he or she picks and chooses when to act and when to intervene, and that such behaivor is part of ensuring that people at least try to help themselves.

If Malina the Unicorn Goddess knew that 100 of her devout followers would be struck by a sudden illness, and that over half would die from the illness, she can choose to not intervene, simply because she chooses not not too. That choice does not mean she isn't omnipotent or omniscient...it's just her not choosing to use her powers.

This is why using logic against the idea of Ominscience and Omnipotence just doesn't work. The above is a good example. Now do you understand what it is that I am trying to say Theo?

Sanguvixen

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:16 pm
I do, thank you. n_n  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items