Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
!Random Talk! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rafael the Wind Angel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:56 am
i like pie, The Killers, and MYuki sensei's works...o yeah..  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm
Rafael the Wind Angel
i like pie, The Killers, and MYuki sensei's works...o yeah..

All good things to like :3  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Rafael the Wind Angel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:46 am
yeshh yeshh godd things how bout you???  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:08 pm
Rafael the Wind Angel
yeshh yeshh godd things how bout you???

I like chocolate and music and good books and I have a weird obsession with Christian Bale.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

YGOPaladin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:35 pm
I have a bunch a little questions to ask, and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for it... I hope you all don't think I'm a complete idiot but whatever... smile

So, I've been teaching myself a little bit of japanese slowly, but I'm using like a school textbook to do it and a lot of the words you all seem to use with quite a lot of ease I do not have in the textbook and don't understand. These words include things like...
putting san at the end of a name, or sempai (sp?) or sama... what are those exactly?
And doujinshi, what exactly is a doujinshi?
And yaoi? Is that the same thing as shounen ai? Because I think I've been able to determine that it probably is the same thing...
And shotakon?

Please don't make fun of me too harshly *cowers in a corner* I'm just a little slow on the uptake I guess blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:06 pm
I'm not all too familiar with Japanese myself, but I might be able to answer some of your questions...

san, kun, chan, and sama are suffixes that are supposed to be added at the end of a name, unless the one addressing the person is a close friend. In that case, no suffix is used. Usually san is used for people you don't know well, higher-ups, stuff like that, a polite suffix I guess. Kun is usually used for boys around teenage age (although san is also used, likewise for girls). I'm not quite sure if anyone can use it, but I think so... Chan is usually used for children, highschool girls, and is sometimes said with a guy's name, but not usually. I think that's only if the person is close friends with the guy and it's a nickname or something. Sama is usually only used for extremely important people, an example would be like Kami-sama. I'm not quite sure how to explain these suffixes that well. I think you just get used to it if you read manga and notice how people call each other, so sorry if this long thing just ended up confusing you.

Senpai is usually said when addressing upperclassmen or people who are your seniors in work. So like a ninth grader would call a tenth grader senpai.

I know what doujinshi is, but I have the feeling if I tried to explain I'd mess it all up and get you even more confused. Um...something like a fanwork of a manga...or somethnig like that...

Yaoi is an acronym made from yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi which means no climax, no punch-line no meaning (definition courtesty of wikipedia). It is very similar to shounen ai, but more...er...graphic, I guess you could say. Like I said wikipedia has the definition and would do a much better job with it. (Check the def. for doujinshi there also.)

And shotakon...er I guess you could say is an attraction to underage boys...(once again wikipedia might be a better explanation)

Gah, long post, long post. Sorry, I'm not sure if I actually helped or confused you. If I did confuse you, I'm sure there are other members who will be able to help you better than me or er...look it up on the web? And hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on something.  

Bemused Dreamer

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 pm
Rei Kazeko
I'm not all too familiar with Japanese myself, but I might be able to answer some of your questions...

san, kun, chan, and sama are suffixes that are supposed to be added at the end of a name, unless the one addressing the person is a close friend. In that case, no suffix is used. Usually san is used for people you don't know well, higher-ups, stuff like that, a polite suffix I guess. Kun is usually used for boys around teenage age (although san is also used, likewise for girls). I'm not quite sure if anyone can use it, but I think so... Chan is usually used for children, highschool girls, and is sometimes said with a guy's name, but not usually. I think that's only if the person is close friends with the guy and it's a nickname or something. Sama is usually only used for extremely important people, an example would be like Kami-sama. I'm not quite sure how to explain these suffixes that well. I think you just get used to it if you read manga and notice how people call each other, so sorry if this long thing just ended up confusing you.

Senpai is usually said when addressing upperclassmen or people who are your seniors in work. So like a ninth grader would call a tenth grader senpai.

I know what doujinshi is, but I have the feeling if I tried to explain I'd mess it all up and get you even more confused. Um...something like a fanwork of a manga...or somethnig like that...

Yaoi is an acronym made from yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi which means no climax, no punch-line no meaning (definition courtesty of wikipedia). It is very similar to shounen ai, but more...er...graphic, I guess you could say. Like I said wikipedia has the definition and would do a much better job with it. (Check the def. for doujinshi there also.)

And shotakon...er I guess you could say is an attraction to underage boys...(once again wikipedia might be a better explanation)

Gah, long post, long post. Sorry, I'm not sure if I actually helped or confused you. If I did confuse you, I'm sure there are other members who will be able to help you better than me or er...look it up on the web? And hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on something.

Yeah, that's pretty much it XD
Don't worry, YGO, we all learned it from somewhere...

only thing Id like to add is that yaoi is a bit of an outdated term...a lot of people in the fandom would be down your throat for throwing around the terms yaoi or shonen ai or just yaoi to denote the Boy's Love genre...
I guess these overarching terms are useful and convenient for gaijin like us XD, but Boy's Love or BL is the term du jour in Japan and of the fandom at the moment...BL encompasses a lot of subgenres...
Its really all personal preferance, ne...people still know what you're talking about if you just say yaoi...

Shotakon is the fetishized sexual attraction to young boys.
Derived from the common Japanese name for boys, Shotarou...and the word "complex" as in Shota-complex, shortened to "con" or "kon" because them Japanese are fond of their bastardized english...
It can be either an older woman or a man being attracted to said young boys.
It's popular use in the Boy's Love genre is to denote stories where one or both of the subjects are or look like pre-pubescent boys, slim, no build, big eyes, very feminine features.
Female equivalent, you may have seen around is Lolicon or Lolita Complex...from the Russian classic novel Lolita by Nabokov where the main character is sexually attracted to a little girl.

Doujinshi...are fan works, more or less. They are works (novels, manga, artbooks, etc) done by one or more people (known as doujin-ka or "circles") which generally use pre existing characters. They are often very professionally done and self published outside the regular publishing circuit. Some can be plain, low quality inks and papers, others can be lush with glossy, embossed covers and textured pages and color artwork...it runs the gamut.
Its actually quite a lucrative business, the chain store Mandarake in Japan specializes in doujinshi.
Methinks that the copyright laws in Japan are much more lax because there hasnt been any noise in my knowledge of any doujin-ka or doujinshi circles to have been persecuted for their work...I think its free publicizing...afterall, the doujin-ka are fans of a particular manga/novel/game/movie, etc to begin with and their readers are the same...
Or the people over there are just less sue-happy...

Popular manga/books and movies can have MASSIVE doujinshi circuits and followers.
Gundam Wing and FF7 for instance both have easily thousands and thousands of different doujinshi and artists dedicated to them. A majority of said doujinshi are BL ^_^;;

Yes...BL doujinshi has a very large following...I dont want to be so quick as to say that it makes up the most of doujinshi production and sales...but I do know anywhere that sells doujinshi always has BL doujinshi up in front and accessible...
Fangirls are a very big market!!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:41 am
Now I've made this topic a sticky, so ev'ryone clearl see it!  

Sonoshi
Crew

YGOPaladin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:25 am
Wow! You guys are awesome! I did look some of this stuff up on the web, but I got some very conflicting search results. So, most of what you all of told me is pretty much what I had deduced for myself. It's nice to know I was on the right track!
The more I learn, the more I become absolutely obsessed with this relatively new hobby of mine!
Thanks again! You are my heros! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:14 pm
@Sonoshi
Thanks :3 This will be our Chatterbox thread, people! So post your OT and/or your ramblings here!

@YGO
Its good to know that there are still fans who actually do research into their so called interest, ne?  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:49 am
Fwee!!!

My happiness warrants multiple exclamation points!
I got my copy of Kagrra,'s new album San and their new live dvd which just came out a couple of days ago in the mail today!
Ahhh...new music...so beautiful *_*  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:15 pm
yay?  

blackelement09

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:44 pm
blackelement09
yay?

New music is always yay XD

And as for that new storyline...wasn't Gino a little prepubescent boy last we saw him...? Why does he look like he works out...and why is he wearing leiderhosen?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:27 am
Sai-kun

@YGO
Its good to know that there are still fans who actually do research into their so called interest, ne?

I agree, but my "interest" is slowly turning into an obsession.... But that's okay, it's more constructive then some of the stupid crap I did in high school. 3nodding  

YGOPaladin

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:00 pm
YGOPaladin
Sai-kun

@YGO

I agree, but my "interest" is slowly turning into an obsession.... But that's okay, it's more constructive then some of the stupid crap I did in high school. 3nodding

Its refreshing to see that newer fans to the fandom still do their own footwork for their hobbies instead of sitting there and babbling about which character is the hottest and who can kick who's a**.
Its ridiculous where the priorities of some of these fans lie.  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff