Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Númenórë - A LOTR Community
Eambar: Off-Topic Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:07 pm
Zurgi
Glorfirith Annun
Good old, Canada is all I have to say ninja

And I'm now going to run because... that's what I do biggrin

Booyah.

Yeah, I'm staying out of this debate. I have my opinions and whatnot, but don't want to get into this because I don't know enough to properly back those opinions up.

I know that feeling!

And then of course there was the time in SA when I was asked Canada's opinion on Bush... I'm expected to speak for my whole country when I can barely speak for myself... that's just funny!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:11 pm
I hate Bush. Just want to start out saying that.

Mostly for the whole, "separation between church and state? What's that?" thing that seems to be happening even more blatantly now. I'm Atheist, so I see it a lot more than a Christian would. I don't appreciate having to stand every day and pledge that I am under a God that I don't believe in. The concept of separation between church and state in our country is a joke. Our currency states that "in god we trust", and witnesses are sworn in with a Bible. I won't even go in to the numerous other points, since dinner is ready and I still have to create a poll in another forum. Bush is trying to make this a Christian country more than any other president the words "under God" were jammed into the pledge in the 50's to distinguish us from the "Godless communists."

Not to mention the "no child left behind" program that is now standing between my Autistic brother and a high school diploma.

Gah. I'll stop for now. xp  

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:20 pm
'Under God' and 'In God We Trust', though annoying to an Atheist's point of view, is really trivial. I myself would be more concerned with the prospect of amending Judeo/Christian values into the Constitution. razz

And we did save you during WWII. Not to the degree that some would lead us to believe, and certainly you were doing a fine job during the Battle of Britain, but you have to invading the German Fatherland and ending the war without us would not have been nearly as easy as it was.

And the Pacific theater was all about us. Mostly.

Longbow UK
How can you know that there are no "under-the-table talks" and "negotiations" going on? Did the American people know how close they were to nuclear war throughout the cold war? Hardly. Did they know about the Cuban missle crisis at the time? No.

Uh... yes...

Longbow UK
Note2: Let's not twist this into a discussion about English history. I know ours isn't exactly much better.

So we can hate on American history but not British history? Unfair... wink  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:35 pm
Falathrim

And we did save you during WWII. Not to the degree that some would lead us to believe, and certainly you were doing a fine job during the Battle of Britain, but you have to invading the German Fatherland and ending the war without us would not have been nearly as easy as it was.

And the Pacific theater was all about us. Mostly.

Admittedly you did contribute to the victory, yes, but if one nation deserves to say "they won the war" it is Russia.
The only reason the Americans were able to take back France so easily was because Hitler was focusing by far the majority of his forces on the eastern front, protecting himself from the Russians, which ultimately failed. And it was the Russians who really pushed into Berlin and took it. Not to mention "scaring" Hitler into suicide through fear of being captured.
The Russians also gave the most lives fighting in the war.

You could also say that "We saved you." Imagine the trouble America might of been in if the Germans had taken Britain?

Really it's as that saying goes:

The Russians gave the blood,
The British gave the time,
And the Americans gave the money.

Quote:
Uh... yes...

The American public didn't know about the Cuban missile crisis for quite some time...
Kennedy was busy negotiating with Khrushchev and considering invasion plans long before he announced it to the public.

Quote:
So we can hate on American history but not British history? Unfair... wink

Life's not fair. xd  

Khorkalba

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:57 pm
Falathrim
'Under God' and 'In God We Trust', though annoying to an Atheist's point of view, is really trivial. I myself would be more concerned with the prospect of amending Judeo/Christian values into the Constitution. razz

Yeah, I'm really mad about that, too. No one has the right to make their personal belief law.

Oh, and as for it being trivial, I hear that a lot. Still, I bet that you wouldn't like to have to stand every day and pledge your allegiance to Allah, Zeus, or Buddha, now would you?

It isn't just merely annoying to Atheists. It's effectively saying that Atheists aren't really Americans.

I'm not going to b***h about it here anymore, though. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Pledging my alleigiance to Zeus would be awesome.

I agree. The Russians don't get nearly enough respect for what they did to Hitler.

*says means stuff about Britain*  

Falathrim

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:18 pm
There is one thing in the Britain vs. USA thing that no one can argue.

British accent >>> American accent

xd  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:20 pm
Nienna of the Valar
There is one thing in the Britain vs. USA thing that no one can argue.

British accent >>> American accent

xd

Gotta love a british accent!  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:23 pm
You know, just so long as we're talking politics:

Quote:
From today's LA Times top story, referenced in the Note, an anonymous white house source said:

"White House officials say they are confident that congressional skepticism will dissipate once the president persuades a majority of the public that action is needed to extend the life of the retirement program, a process Bush was scheduled to begin today by taking his Social Security message on the road."

a couple paragraphs later:

"In a significant shift in his rationale for the accounts, Bush dropped his claim that they would help solve Social Security's fiscal problems — a link he sometimes made during last year's presidential campaign. Instead, he said the individual accounts were desirable because they would be "a better deal," providing workers what he said would be a higher rate of return and "greater security in retirement."

A Bush aide, briefing reporters on the condition of anonymity, was more explicit, saying that the individual accounts would do nothing to solve the system's long-term financial problems."

So, the Bushies claim, "there is a huge crisis and our 'solution' will 'do nothing to solve' it."

If this is the same White House source that briefed every other reporter yesterday it is Dan Bartlett.

A bit further down in the piece there's this gem ...
That candid analysis, although widely shared by economists, distressed some Republicans.

"Oh, my God," one GOP political strategist said when he learned of the shift in rhetoric. "The White House has made a lot of Republicans walk the plank on this. Now it sounds as if they are sawing off the board."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:40 pm
*cries*  

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

Caeleste

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:16 pm
It's really kind of funny that the americans have so much hate towards their government and their country, and my history teacher defended the whole country against some students who said america was stupid.

Huh.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:18 pm
My great-grandmother died last night.

You can keep talking about politics. I just felt the need to share that.  

Falathrim

SYFFER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Falathrim
My great-grandmother died last night.

You can keep talking about politics. I just felt the need to share that.
Oh that's terrible Fala. How old was she? sad  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:55 pm
Well, old. Approaching 90, at least... maybe already 90.

But she was so healthy until just a few months ago. Then...

sad  

Falathrim

SYFFER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:00 pm
Falathrim
Well, old. Approaching 90, at least... maybe already 90.

But she was so healthy until just a few months ago. Then...

sad
Well she lived a full life so that's good but if she was healthy, then it's different. I remember when my grandma died. She died when I was 7 and my parents didn't want me to know cause I really loved her so I didn't find out untill I was 10 years old. I lived really far thta's why I never knew. Just be glad for the time you've had with her cause that's something you never forget.  
Númenórë - A LOTR Community

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games