Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Númenórë - A LOTR Community
Eambar: Off-Topic Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

curumo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:41 pm
Aww, I'm sorry Falathrim. Were you close to her?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:52 pm
Falathrim
My great-grandmother died last night.

You can keep talking about politics. I just felt the need to share that.

That is terrible. I have always wanted to die just to see what it is like. Also I want to see what Heaven is like, pending I get to Heaven and it exists for those of you who don't believe what I believe. I wonder if God has you rent or own a house....maybe we just walk on clouds for eternity. I wonder if you get to read up there. Will books you want to read appear...or will they just...be there?  

Onoj

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:09 pm
If Heaven exists, I hope to God that it's a lot like life as we know it. Eternal paradise and the such don't tend to appeal to me.

Life in Aman would bore me.

I was... somewhat close to her. I'd visit her once every few months. She was always such a sweet person.

One of the worst parts of this entire thing is that my grandmother (her daughter) was supposed to be on vacation in Cancun for the next week or two. :/  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:16 pm
I would still like to read. The reason I would like to die is because of the way society and this world is so screwed up so I hope it isn't like this either.  

Onoj

SYFFER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:40 pm
Oh we're into philosophy now I see 3nodding I don't think Heaven exists. I think it's just an imaginary place created by parents to calm down their kids and tell them that their dogs and cats are going to this big fire hydrant or that their friend is going to this place above the clouds where you dance around all day singing like a gay Elf sweatdrop . Heaven in my opinion is being reborn into another world. Reincarnation seems the best choice. Although judging by the increasing numbers of humans on this planet, either reincarnation doesn't exist or God is just creating more souls. The other option is that humans tend to make the best of their ives and would like to think that they're going somewhere wonderful instead of decomposing slowly in the ground. The bright light when you're dying is explained as chemicals released by your brain while it's dying. Whatever happens after life is a mystery. I guess we'll just have to wait. (Looking back at this post: Damn I talk alot sweatdrop ) (Oh ya I just got bright gold highlights xp I think I just lost 10 IQ)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:35 am
I don't know much about the American politics, so I'll stay quiet.

That sucks about your great-grandmother. sad

I don't think heaven exists. I'm an Atheist, so all that stuff about an eternal paradise is a load of bull, in my opinion. To be honest, I think when you die, you die. There is no afterlife, no reincarnation, none of that stuff. You just rot in a hole in the ground, or as ashes in an ocean/vase whatever. Pretty grim opinion, some might say. But at least I will be ready if it's true. Or if I'm wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised.  

Thaxul

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 am
Glorfirith Annun
Nienna of the Valar
There is one thing in the Britain vs. USA thing that no one can argue.

British accent >>> American accent

xd

Gotta love a british accent!

Just out of curiosity... How would you define a British accent? sweatdrop I notice how a lot of foreigners say how they 'like British accents' but there are so many variations that its impossible to class it under one catagory. It may be a small country, but you only have to travel a small distance before the the accent/dialect completely changes.

When foreigners refer to the 'British accent' they're often talking about the typical politician or Royal family accent which is known as recieved pronunciation, I think. And less than 5% of the population speak like that.[/uselessrant]

I'm sorry for your loss, Falathrim. sad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:29 am
Nienna of the Valar

Not to mention the "no child left behind" program that is now standing between my Autistic brother and a high school diploma.

Now this I will agree with. No Child Left Behind is the STUPIDEST thing in the history of education! Its bad on both sides! I hate to be selfish, but I really get ticked about it because they're taking away my honors and advanced classes because I can't be ahead of other students! They're taking away my college classes that I'm taking in High School and everything! I hate that!

...Yes I'm selfish about it...So what?

Oooh philosophical conversations? Kewl ^^.

I do hope there will be something to learn. Life would be terribly boring if we couldn't learn anything in heaven. Boooring. I believe in a Heaven, and I'm rather proud of my faith. I really believe it. I'm just a poor example of it and won't say what it is because I don't want people to judge it based on me sweatdrop .  

TenshinoHikari

TenshinoHikari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:36 am
Longbow UK
Just out of curiosity... How would you define a British accent? sweatdrop I notice how a lot of foreigners say how they 'like British accents' but there are so many variations that its impossible to class it under one catagory. It may be a small country, but you only have to travel a small distance before the the accent/dialect completely changes.

When foreigners refer to the 'British accent' they're often talking about the typical politician or Royal family accent which is known as recieved pronunciation, I think. And less than 5% of the population speak like that.[/uselessrant]

The thing is that to an untrained ear they all sound the same. I couldn't tell the difference when I went there this summer between one dialect and the next. America is big enough that there is quite a different (example: I live in Utah and cannot for the life of me understand a true New York or Southern accent. It's like they're speaking another language).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:59 am
thaxul
I don't know much about the American politics, so I'll stay quiet.

That sucks about your great-grandmother. sad

I don't think heaven exists. I'm an Atheist, so all that stuff about an eternal paradise is a load of bull, in my opinion. To be honest, I think when you die, you die. There is no afterlife, no reincarnation, none of that stuff. You just rot in a hole in the ground, or as ashes in an ocean/vase whatever. Pretty grim opinion, some might say. But at least I will be ready if it's true. Or if I'm wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised.

That is a pretty grim-outlook. The way I have always thought of it is that Heaven may not exist but I still believe it may and I believe in God as taking care of us. If you look at life like a computer, as I do sometimes, it makes alot of sense. You can start a program up but nothing will happen. It doesn't matter how long you let it set it Adobe will not make a picture for you in a hundred years...in a thousand years. So who creates the picture? You do, a person or other being outside the world ("computer") who controls the mouse makes the picture which is who I view life. The earth may be here and people may exist or existed as a "primordial ooze" but I doubt that we progressed as far as we did without help from an outside source. If you look at it this way it could support the idea of there not being a heaven as the files you delete are just gone and don't come out of the computer and spend time with you. It is a weird thought/philosophy but it has always helped reassure my faith in God in some way. You can say hey I can see how that works or you can say wow you are retarded I really don't care. Lol I just always associate real life events in ways such as this and this just happens to be my thought process about God and evolution. Thanks for your time. ^_^  

Onoj

Thaxul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:14 am
I told you it was a grim outlook, but I get by.

That's a good theory, Onoj. And a strange metaphor to go along with it, too. It's good you have faith.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:36 am
That bites, Fala. And you were extremely fortunate to have a great-grandmother.

Onoj
I have always wanted to die just to see what it is like. Also I want to see what Heaven is like, pending I get to Heaven and it exists for those of you who don't believe what I believe.
It is so good to know that I'm not the only person in the world who thinks like this. When I was little I use to lie in bed and pretend to be dead just 'cos I was curious.  

Gornwen

Onoj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:03 am
Gornwen
That bites, Fala. And you were extremely fortunate to have a great-grandmother.

Onoj
I have always wanted to die just to see what it is like. Also I want to see what Heaven is like, pending I get to Heaven and it exists for those of you who don't believe what I believe.
It is so good to know that I'm not the only person in the world who thinks like this. When I was little I use to lie in bed and pretend to be dead just 'cos I was curious.

Yeah but I don't know if you have taken it as far as I have. Sometimes I am driving and just wonder what it would be like to just drive into a tree. Also I have always wanted to see people's reaction to my death. Lol It has always confused me why I have thought this way but you know whatever.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:59 am
I'm so sorry, Falathrim. No matter if there is an afterlife or not, you got to know her in this life, and that can never be taken away.

I, like Thaxul, am Atheist. I don't believe in an afterlife. It would be nice if there was one, but I just don't believe that there is. In my opinion, the concept of an afterlife was created out of mankind's fear of it's own mortality. This life is all that we have.

Oh, and Longbow, all British accents are better than any American accent. I love British accents. They're just so cool. And, as I'm sure the girls here will agree, an accent makes a guy about five times hotter.

My post really skips around topics, huh? sweatdrop  

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

Gornwen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:30 pm
Onoj
Also I have always wanted to see people's reaction to my death.
Laughs, I read a story (or heard it on the news, or something like that) about a man staging his own funeral to find out what people would say about him. Needless to say, when everybody found out that this was a giant set up, they were not amused.

Agrees with Nienna about any British accent makes a guy at least five times hotter.  
Númenórë - A LOTR Community

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games