Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~::Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 FES - The Golden::~*

Back to Guilds

The final chapter in the Persona 4, FES, and Golden - RP Guild Trilogy! No prior knowledge necessary! 

Tags: Persona 4, Megami Tensei, Roleplay, Persona 3, Persona 5 

Reply *~::Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 FES - The Golden::~*
::Out-of-Character Forum:: Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 ... 2476 2477 2478 2479 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 am
I contradict your statement by pointing out the inherent flaws in every named elf NOT named Tauriel:

Legolas is racist. Explicitly so in The Hobbit, though he grows out of it in the Lord of the Rings. He's an excellent fighter, but not perfect. And in the books he's explicitly not the fastest runner in their trio, either. Plainly put, he may indeed be one of the most capable members of the Fellowship, but he is hardly perfect in personality or skills. And he doesn't even explicitly have any powers that he shouldn't as an elf prince and a warrior...like healing magic, or even attack magic or the like.

Elrond is also racist (with reason), overprotective, and his powers are openly waning.

Galadriel is power-hungry and not much of a fighter at all for one of the last Noldor.

Thranduil is greedy as sin, bears the scars of his past wars, and considerably racist.

Meanwhile Tauriel not only is a young, beautiful, Captain of the Guard-level warrior on par with the elven realm's best, but also an elf healer capable of using magic (two disciplines Tolkien EXPLICITLY states were almost never crossed outside of Elrond, and especially never in a woman) that only the most skilled elf healers (beyond Arwen and even Glorfindel, who can't fight at all in the LOTR) possess. She is instantly without bias against the dwarves despite a literal THOUSAND+ YEAR VENDETTA against the dwarves for the slaying of Thingol of Doriath and the theft of a Silmarillion...but also is apparently too difficult to resist even for Legolas...because, you know, she wasn't perfect enough already. Oh, and she can also hunt, track, and wants to save the world for sunshine and rainbows and puppies because...

...you know what, I'm done. I was all in for a romantic subplot in the movies, honestly, and I was DYING to give her the benefit of the doubt in the movies. But her addition to the movies was fanfic-level at best.

Anyway, the elves are AWESOME, yes. Mary Sues, Hell no. They all have their strengths and faults, even the fairest. That's what makes Tolkien's work awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 am
And despite how that might have sounded, I'm having fun.
I just get passionate about Tolkien. XD

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

Rednal
Crew

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:41 am
Personality flaws don't stop people from being Mary Sues. A Mary Sue is one who accomplishes stuff with basically no effort, and look at how fast the bodycount goes up whenever an elf is fighting. ^^

Tolkein stuff is pretty rocking, though - and it's interesting watching the movies while simultaneously knowing some VERY, VERY IMPORTANT background details.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:48 am
Mary Sue isn't just about what they can do...it's about how they do it, the inherent 'flawlessness' about them. They're compassionate when the plot calls for it, and fierce when the plot calls for it. They're always exactly what they need to be at any given time. The biggest point of a Mary Sue is their perfection.

By your measure, any powerful character would be a Mary Sue. That's not right at all.

Seriously, if you want an elf that's NOT a Mary Sue, just look at the tale of Eol the Dark Elf...he wasn't even a decent fighter. Just a blacksmith and a pretty serious jerk.

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:51 am
And it should also be mentioned that while Elves in combat are graceful and skilled, they are not considered significantly more powerful as an army than Dwarves or even Men.

At Helm's Deep, Gimli wins his killing duel with Legolas. In the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, it's Men who save the Elven Kings and the sons of Feanor from defeat at the hands of Morgoth's Armies. A dwarven army meets the kingdom of Thingol after his death and they fight to such a brutal loss that neither side can really proclaim any victory in the aftermath.

They are considered to be the fairest race, and have benefits significantly greater than others in their lives...and it would be fair to say that they are even favored by the Valar. Fairer does not equal better, in this case. It's one of the really cool things about Tolkien's races.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:52 am
*Is mostly messing around*

XD  

Rednal
Crew

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:55 am
-Just loves talking/debating about Tolkien stuff-

I could go on all day, man. Though I generally prefer waxing poetic about how AWESOME stuff is rather than debating...on occasions like this, I will get into the debating bit. XD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 am
Gandalf is VERY awesome. o wo I kind of like how his magic is usually fairly subtle, though. Usually. It's easy to make fun of his flashy, glowing lights until you realize what it actually is.  

Rednal
Crew

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

stickdude

Generous Informer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:02 am
Ehhhh... Any time I try to debate something with Rednal his tendency to over-rationalize gets in the way, and we end up going in circles until I'm forced to give up. XD;  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 am
Oh yes. I also love that he uses more magic in the Hobbit than in the Lord of the Rings, but that very little of it is all that overly flashy. Just a light, a flash, a few incantations...then once in a while you get the big, white wave of power that knocks stuff over and is generally cool. I think the coolest thing about him, though, is his ability to just improvise and trust his feelings and instincts as he goes.

It's like he says in Moria...when in doubt, follow your nose...and his nose never seems to lead him astray. Even if it's by accident that he's following it.

Anyway, I might rest for a little bit. Will be better to do more with Soji's text later, when more people are on. Should be fun, though!

I'll look forward to it...and more of the above talk if you're up to it!

Arena Emperor
Captain

Fashionable Genius

Rednal
Crew

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:11 am
@Stick: Just don't try debating with Yidhra and you'll be fine. o wo b

@Arena: Of course, I'm not entirely certain that "Wizard" is the right thing to call him, but... XD Yeah. *Could go on about this for awhile*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 am
Are you a wizard, Rednal? o wo  

stickdude

Generous Informer

Rednal
Crew

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 am
Nope. I prefer Sorcerers, really - spontaneous casting is much more fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:22 am
I'll be anything that's purely DPS. XD  

stickdude

Generous Informer

*~::Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 FES - The Golden::~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 ... 2476 2477 2478 2479 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games