Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Let's have a rant thread! ~*Stress Relief*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 am
Or maybe we're all watching too much Law and Order and hsould should be glad that we are not dead. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 am
I know where Mini is coming from, as the UK is basically the same. However, unlike Mini's view of Australia, I feel that crime is still rife in Britain, even though guns are against the law. Teenage gang crime is particularly prevalent in 'uneducated' areas, and knife crime is just as bad as gun crime over here. Like Australia, such killings would make the breaking news, without a doubt, and there are some cases where the nation is just shocked by the violence, but at the same time it seems these stories are getting more and more frequent on the news. I think Britain is in the middle of America and Australia's situation; crime is rife, but it is always big news. I don't feel safe in the UK, especially at night, and especially in the rougher areas, I can admit this. Then again, the thought of going to America, where guns are actually legal in some states, makes me wonder what on Earth is wrong with the American laws. I mean, you can't smoke but you can have a gun? What kinda s**t logic is that? No offence to those educated, posh politicians and clever people who make up these rules, but the last time I checked guns killed people a lot more than cigarettes did - or at least they're more dangerous.  

Chibito7

mymiridon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm
hmm... american crime isn't quite as bad as you may think. We just report it... alot.... aloooooot. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:27 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

..my Law tutors all seem to hate the American legal system with a passion~ it's hilarious listening to them rant about how stupid and crap it is.. xD

On the crime issue: yes, it's bad, but undoubtedly hyped up by the media - especially during the traditional news drought of the long summer months when very little else happens. Stories about how young people are awful and how things aren't what they used to be sell papers, y'know, because it's the people who want to believe that who actually buy papers. It's just.. ridiculous. Yeah, it happens, yeah, it's bad, okay - but don't make it sound worse than it is. Just pointless scaremongering.

Niphz
Crew

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:43 am
Scaremongering - I like that word.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:41 am
mymiridon
hmm... american crime isn't quite as bad as you may think. We just report it... alot.... aloooooot. XD

I'm not so sure about that. I always get the impression that gun deaths happen a lot in America. Gun ownership is a right guaranteed under your constitution after all.  

Minielf

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 am
@CBC - Me too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 am
I also like antidisestablishmentarianism. 3nodding  

cold_blooded_chick

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 am
Okay, someone has to say it, so I will:
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPEALIDOTIOUS!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:36 pm
lol.
@niph: haha. Well I can't say they're completely wrong but the American Legal system was designed so that we don't punish the wrong people and everyone has an equal chance to go to prison =D. Of course there are different laws for different states and a lot of what goes on in the court is to the discretion of the judge and there are ways to appeal even if you are guilty etc. I can't say our legal system is perfect, but i'd love to hear what your professors are ranting about since I've always the thought the brits like our legal system =D
@mini: well america's a big country, and we have a lot of people (don't believe every census, we have lots of people that aren't counted because they're here illegally and must hide in the cellar when the census bureau comes XD) And the right to bear arms does not mean the right to commit crime or kill someone with it. We also have legal buffers in place so that people can't legally own a gun until they've been checked and cleared. And the reason you get that impression is because of the media. And the reason we have the right to bear arms is rather quite simple. It's all the british's fault! xd  

mymiridon

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:29 pm
Lol blame it on the brits. rofl When was the last time the militia rule was ever used? Oh yeah, 1812. razz It hasn't been used since has it? The only reason gun ownership still exists is because the gun lobbies wield immense political power right? It's true that the American media do sensationalise the gun culture a lot, but the number of gun deaths is still far greater than it is here. I guess it wouldn't be possible for the government to completely ban all guns is there? Our government banned them back in 1996 and since then we haven't had any mass killings.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm
Shooting for Columbine, that was a funny movie, but also sad.

Edit, Bowling For Columbine, also I'm easily confused by names. xd  

cold_blooded_chick

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:43 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

@yalie - God no, the general opinion is that it's awful xD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm
@niph: ah, i guess you need to live in the U.S. to understand the point behind our legal system =D

@elfy: well i'm sure there are more kangaroo related deaths in australia than there are in the U.S. XP Besides, guns aren't the only things you can kill people with.

The movie was called "Bowling for Columbine" btw and you're right, it was funny XD  

mymiridon

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm
mymiridon
@niph: ah, i guess you need to live in the U.S. to understand the point behind our legal system =D

@elfy: well i'm sure there are more kangaroo related deaths in australia than there are in the U.S. XP Besides, guns aren't the only things you can kill people with.

The movie was called "Bowling for Columbine" btw and you're right, it was funny XD

ROLFMAO Kangaroo deaths!! rofl rofl I can't remember the last time someone was killed by a boxing Kangaroo, but it surely must have been hilarious. xd And if it does happen, no one will care about the guy who dies; we'll just laugh at his incompetence. Seriously, you should have said Croc related deaths instead. Then I would have taken your comment seriously, since crocs have killed a lot of people up in the top end of Australia.

On a more sensible front, cars are now the biggest killers in Australia. The number of people who drink, drive and then kill themselves by crashing far outweighs any other intentional deaths.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... 235 236 237 238 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games