Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Randomness is a Virtue!
LET'S REACH 800,000 POSTS [GUILD SPIRIT CAMPAIGN] READ&POST Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you be active in this campaign?
ANYTHING FOR THIS GUILD!!
30%
 30%  [ 286 ]
NEVER!!! THIS IS DUMB.
3%
 3%  [ 34 ]
LET'S DO THIS THING!!!
35%
 35%  [ 336 ]
Wow...excitement much. Okay, I'll participate...but for goodness sakes your adrenaline is annoying!
29%
 29%  [ 278 ]
Total Votes : 934

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness
Barnes and Nobles is great. xD
Plus, they might offer coffee.

I love Barnes and Nobles. Even the smell of the store; fresh books.
I like how they have the journals and sketch books and quills and ink bottles too (I even bought an ink and quill myself)
And at my B&N, that's the only Starbucks around. Unfortunately, I'm not one for coffee. That's good for my wallet. I do like their hot chocolate with a shot of espresso <3

I'm not for one strong coffee. What I get is their java chip frappucino with caramel on top and sides, along with the automatic chocolate drizzle. It's good! Also, I got whip cream this time. The people at the starbucks B&N made it better than the people at the regular 'ole Starbucks we go to lol

MAN i wish I loved coffee! gonk
I would love what you order, it sounds deliciously amazing. (That and the fact I'm starving)
It just doesn't appeal to my taste buds. But it appeals to my nose emotion_bigheart

What doesn't appeal to taste can appeal to nose, so I'm glad. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:56 am
Blind Blindness
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness

I like how they have the journals and sketch books and quills and ink bottles too (I even bought an ink and quill myself)
And at my B&N, that's the only Starbucks around. Unfortunately, I'm not one for coffee. That's good for my wallet. I do like their hot chocolate with a shot of espresso <3

I'm not for one strong coffee. What I get is their java chip frappucino with caramel on top and sides, along with the automatic chocolate drizzle. It's good! Also, I got whip cream this time. The people at the starbucks B&N made it better than the people at the regular 'ole Starbucks we go to lol

I would love what you order, it sounds deliciously amazing. (That and the fact I'm starving)
It just doesn't appeal to my taste buds. But it appeals to my nose emotion_bigheart

Yes bu-bu-but I-I I want to like coffee redface  

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 am
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Bleh. It just really bugged me because at one point, when a new character in Fairy Tail was introduced, I didn't know whether his name was Gajeel or Gazjeel. It was frustrating stressed
But it's better than buying the books because I would be in forever debt if I bought all the books I've read.
And staying too much on my laptop give me a headache too.

I actually know why that happens~!!
Japanese doesn't have all of the consonant sounds we can make in English, so a name in katakana or hiragana can be meant to be said/spelled in more than one way, so translators just have to kind of give it their best guess to get the sounds right.
When I was reading a scanlation of Pandora Hearts (an absolutely amazing series, by the way) they first translated the main character's last name as "Bezarius" before finding out it was actually meant to be "Vessalius" (both would use the same symbols in Japanese [I'm not sure if it would be katakana or hiragana for this one...] because both, when translated, would use the same sounds) and they had to put out notes about the correction. There were some other names, too, whose spellings got a little mixed in translation. (like another character's first name; Shalon to Sharon, easy mix-up since the L doesn't exist in Japanese and the R functions for both)
There's also the fact that a lot of translators' first languages aren't English, which I find interesting, but not entirely surprising since Japanese is pretty much the hardest language for a native English language speaker to learn...
I own lots of books, but most of them are old, and I don't own a lot of manga, though I do have a rather large collection of Shojo Beat and old Shonen Jump mags...
I used to subscribe, but then I couldn't afford it, boo...
The last time I splurged on manga was the last convention I went to at the beginning of 2012, I bought the last five or six graphic novels I was missing in a series titled Life. And then some vendor tried to accuse me of stealing them when I had a receipt, the nerve!
I was also naughty and used some grant money to buy a dollfie at that con, too; I considered it an educational investment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 am
Blind Blindness

*boos and hisses at*
We don't have a bookstore OR a coffee shop for miles and MILES around.
The nearest coffee place is a Tim Horton's about an hour and a half away.
The nearest bookstore is in Columbus or Charleston, MAYBE Huntington, more than two hours away at the best. UGH. cat_gonk
Lucky bitches. cat_stare

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

LadyKasula

Demonic Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 pm
Same here. I have to drive about 2 hours just to get to a bookstore or starbucks from where I live..Man I miss living in the city.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness

*boos and hisses at*
The nearest bookstore is in Columbus or Charleston, MAYBE Huntington, more than two hours away at the best. UGH. cat_gonk
Lucky bitches. cat_stare

Here in Miami, it's so damn crowded. You have plenty of libraries and book stores. You just need to drive, since public transportation can't do everything xD  

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Blind Blindness

Yes bu-bu-but I-I I want to like coffee redface

My drink is coffee, but it doesn't taste like it. If you get coffee that doesn't taste like coffee, you might like it!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Queen Spazzy
Darkness Dragons Revenge
Bleh. It just really bugged me because at one point, when a new character in Fairy Tail was introduced, I didn't know whether his name was Gajeel or Gazjeel. It was frustrating stressed
But it's better than buying the books because I would be in forever debt if I bought all the books I've read.
And staying too much on my laptop give me a headache too.

I actually know why that happens~!!
Japanese doesn't have all of the consonant sounds we can make in English, so a name in katakana or hiragana can be meant to be said/spelled in more than one way, so translators just have to kind of give it their best guess to get the sounds right.
When I was reading a scanlation of Pandora Hearts (an absolutely amazing series, by the way) they first translated the main character's last name as "Bezarius" before finding out it was actually meant to be "Vessalius" (both would use the same symbols in Japanese [I'm not sure if it would be katakana or hiragana for this one...] because both, when translated, would use the same sounds) and they had to put out notes about the correction. There were some other names, too, whose spellings got a little mixed in translation. (like another character's first name; Shalon to Sharon, easy mix-up since the L doesn't exist in Japanese and the R functions for both)
There's also the fact that a lot of translators' first languages aren't English, which I find interesting, but not entirely surprising since Japanese is pretty much the hardest language for a native English language speaker to learn...
I own lots of books, but most of them are old, and I don't own a lot of manga, though I do have a rather large collection of Shojo Beat and old Shonen Jump mags...
I used to subscribe, but then I couldn't afford it, boo...
The last time I splurged on manga was the last convention I went to at the beginning of 2012, I bought the last five or six graphic novels I was missing in a series titled Life. And then some vendor tried to accuse me of stealing them when I had a receipt, the nerve!
I was also naughty and used some grant money to buy a dollfie at that con, too; I considered it an educational investment.

Yah my sister and I really want to learn Japanese, hiragana.
We've learned a little from the mangas and animes (sub not dub!)
And I've learned that some vendors at cons will try to take money from you one way or another.
One guy made me pay two or three extra dollars for a ring. It was $8 or $9 and I handed him a $10 and he didn't give me exact change back and made me pay extra for it. Ug I hated him...
And lol how did you get a grant? xp  

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 am
Darkness Dragons Revenge
And I've learned that some vendors at cons will try to take money from you one way or another.
One guy made me pay two or three extra dollars for a ring. It was $8 or $9 and I handed him a $10 and he didn't give me exact change back and made me pay extra for it. Ug I hated him...

I can read something like half the hiragana, and I know several kanji. I can also write the vowels, the K syllables, and N in hiragana. I know how to say several things in Japanese, too. Slowly working my way to learning it! (plus a dozen other languages; I'm kinda a linguophile.)
As for the grant, it was Pell.
I DID try college for a whole two years.
I got a little back the spring of my second year, when the con was, and no one really tracks exactly what you use the money for, and, besides, I'm sure I could have come up with a valid reason for buying that stuff.
I've never paid extra at my con, though... Of course, I'm also paranoid, so I'm always counting my change and stuff to make sure I have the right amount, and I carry my things in a certain way so I'll know if someone tries to steal my stuff. I also make sure I get a receipt for stuff on the dealer's floor at the con because it's a pretty big one so accusations of theft happen a lot.
I mean, I understand that it's a problem and he had to make sure, but the guy was really awfully mean about it; did he really think I'd just walk off with the books so obviously in plain sight (I was holding them in my arms in front of me) if I was sodding STEALING them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:20 am
Blind Blindness
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness

*boos and hisses at*
Lucky bitches. cat_stare

Here in Miami, it's so damn crowded. You have plenty of libraries and book stores. You just need to drive, since public transportation can't do everything xD

Bah, screw that.
I'd rather walk or ride a tram or something.
D.C. would probably be a good place for someone like me. XD

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 am
Queen Spazzy
Darkness Dragons Revenge

I can read something like half the hiragana, and I know several kanji. I can also write the vowels, the K syllables, and N in hiragana. I know how to say several things in Japanese, too. Slowly working my way to learning it! (plus a dozen other languages; I'm kinda a linguophile.)
As for the grant, it was Pell.
I DID try college for a whole two years.
I got a little back the spring of my second year, when the con was, and no one really tracks exactly what you use the money for, and, besides, I'm sure I could have come up with a valid reason for buying that stuff.
I've never paid extra at my con, though... Of course, I'm also paranoid, so I'm always counting my change and stuff to make sure I have the right amount, and I carry my things in a certain way so I'll know if someone tries to steal my stuff. I also make sure I get a receipt for stuff on the dealer's floor at the con because it's a pretty big one so accusations of theft happen a lot.
I mean, I understand that it's a problem and he had to make sure, but the guy was really awfully mean about it; did he really think I'd just walk off with the books so obviously in plain sight (I was holding them in my arms in front of me) if I was sodding STEALING them?

Well I guarente people try to take advantage of the crowd and steal so they're gonna be suspicious.
I don't remember if I caught people stealing at the con or not.
I would make them regret it if they accused me of stealing, one way or another...
I also found a lot of bootlegged items, but I feel no regret buying bootlegged items, because original items are soooo uber expensive!
I know a really good website for bootlegged items wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 am
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness

*boos and hisses at*
Lucky bitches. cat_stare

Bah, screw that.
I'd rather walk or ride a tram or something.
D.C. would probably be a good place for someone like me. XD

I was driving yesterday with my friend after having been at school for hours dealing with the pesky financial aid office, and while heading to this restaurant I had to make my first U-Turn as a licensed driver in this busy, later gridlocked traffic. But I made it through xDD  

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 am
I tried to change my avi today...
I got pissed off and frustrated after five minutes and gave up. >>;

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 pm
I like food  

iRobotic Banana

Demonic Humorist

Foxerton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 pm
I guess i'll come from the guild grave and contribute some posts.  
Randomness is a Virtue!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games