Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24971 24972 24973 24974 24975 24976 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Waynebrizzle
I signed Google's petition. It seems pointless to fret about this at all since it's so clearly never going to get passed. It's reminding me of any end of the world prediction: It's never going to come to fruition, and nobody will shut up about it. Though I guess that the latter is part of why the former is true.

Kind of disappointing, at the same time. We need a real bill to fight against piracy, not some totalitarian censorship bill DISGUISED as a bill that fights piracy.

Nothing can stop piracy.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Trenn Flashkill
Waynebrizzle
I signed Google's petition. It seems pointless to fret about this at all since it's so clearly never going to get passed. It's reminding me of any end of the world prediction: It's never going to come to fruition, and nobody will shut up about it. Though I guess that the latter is part of why the former is true.

Kind of disappointing, at the same time. We need a real bill to fight against piracy, not some totalitarian censorship bill DISGUISED as a bill that fights piracy.

Nothing can stop piracy.

"Fights" holds a very different meaning than "stops."

Waynebrizzle

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm

l-Kriel-l
Waynebrizzle

If it were just an ordinary bill going through congress, then no, it wouldn't pass.
It's just the massive amount of money supporters have been pushing into it to get it to pass. The entire movie industry, for example. There is actually a large chance of it being passed despite efforts against it, hence why no one will shut up about it.

It doesn't matter how much money people put into it. The government is set up so the people ultimately make any decision. Congressmen are meant to represent the people, not corporations, but if you're so sure it could be passed, I'd be more than willing to make a bet.

[Kegan]
Waynebrizzle

Hey, dude, Y2K(For example) wouldn't have happened, even if people didn't freak out about it.

SOPA and PIPA would have--Edit: Will. I meant will.-- passed if people let it.

Big difference.

Yeah that's why I said the bolded.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

I knows it, I just like to fleshes out things with exampleses

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:42 pm

I'll just be glad when it's over.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Also:

[Kegan]
Waynebrizzle
eShop demos tomorrow. Can't wait to get my hands on a demo of Revelations that isn't from, like, the first build of the game.
Confirmed for North America?

I mean, an EU release means the English localization is finished, but there are some many "OU"s to turn into "O"s. That could slow it up atleast another 2 months.

Yes. At least from what I'd read.

Waynebrizzle

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Check GoNintendo, we get a Revelations demo tomorrow and a Mario and Sonic one later on, either this month or next. MGS and something else decent confirmed as well. No Rhythm Thief yet, and that might be delayed until March 10th.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:40 pm

if SOPA and PIPA pass, i will call a mass suicide at the first sign of misuse of power right on the washington doorstep, everyone wearing the same shirt that would say:

"all of the internet sites that you are so involved in like twitter and facebook warned of corporate misuse of SOPA/PIPA"

"your move *****." on the front assuming everyone dies face down.

also lol just noticed me and gaia finally agree on a cause.

Xilo The Odd

l-Kriel-l

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Waynebrizzle
l-Kriel-l
Waynebrizzle

If it were just an ordinary bill going through congress, then no, it wouldn't pass.
It's just the massive amount of money supporters have been pushing into it to get it to pass. The entire movie industry, for example. There is actually a large chance of it being passed despite efforts against it, hence why no one will shut up about it.

It doesn't matter how much money people put into it. The government is set up so the people ultimately make any decision. Congressmen are meant to represent the people, not corporations, but if you're so sure it could be passed, I'd be more than willing to make a bet.

But corporations are people. They're using money to convince the members of congress to vote how they want them to. It's called lobbying.
We're doing the same thing. Raising awareness, organizing fundraisers, calling senators to convince them to vote against the bill. Maybe not so much the first one, but still, lobbying.
My point is as much as we're pushing to stop the bill, there's also a massive push for the bill. That's why it's still such a big deal. Many of these congressmen will be convinced by whoever pays more.
Edit: Also, if they listened to just the people, I don't think NDAA would have passed, revised or not.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm

l-Kriel-l

But corporations are people. They're using money to convince the members of congress to vote how they want them to. It's called lobbying.
We're doing the same thing. Raising awareness, organizing fundraisers, calling senators to convince them to vote against the bill. Maybe not so much the first one, but still, lobbying.
My point is as much as we're pushing to stop the bill, there's also a massive push for the bill. That's why it's still such a big deal. Many of these congressmen will be convinced by whoever pays more.
Edit: Also, if they listened to just the people, I don't think NDAA would have passed, revised or not.

If all they'll listen to is money, then what chance do you think we have against the movie industry in anything involving money? And you do know that legislature like this has been introduced for a few years now, and shot down every time, right?

It's not just about the money. Even if it were for those people in charge, we have the power to change whatever abuses of power they might decide to carry out. It's called Democracy.

Waynebrizzle

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:34 pm

democracy does fail, and when it does its usually 4-8 years of hell dealing with it.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Xilo The Odd
democracy does fail, and when it does its usually 4-8 years of hell dealing with it.

And that's like 2000 years in Internet time, right?

Waynebrizzle

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm

THIS VIDEO'S OL- aw it's banned
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:43 pm

whole site is banned

Waynebrizzle

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm

All I'm saying is: worst case scenario, the thing is gone within several years, which might suck but is better than forever. I really don't see that happening though, and I don't really want to argue about it when we can just wait a few days and see.
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24971 24972 24973 24974 24975 24976 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games