Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25497 25498 25499 25500 25501 25502 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Well, people have a tendency to forget shitty songs. I mean, how often do you hear shitty songs from the 90s on the Radio? There were plenty.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:34 pm

There's also a tendency for people to love shitty songs. Right now.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Your opinion's subjective, though. I hated 90s music, even as a kid. I like 80s music, but it sure as hell doesn't make it better than today's, because i like it too. That you won't even give the current decades an inch sort of proves how nostalgic you're being.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 pm

but i like arthur so what do i know

Waynebrizzle

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 pm

I don't like Arthur, it used to be okay

The current time is good mainly because of the Internet and technology but that's also why it sux as well. I also prefer being an adult but I wish I could be an adult in earlier decades sort of. So long as I can have my online bf not be online >_>

I just don't like many mainstream songs anymore because they all have this autotuney, shitty electronic sound to them and it's just no good to my ears. Like you can tell just by the sound of it that it's from this decade.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 pm

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 pm

I liked Backstreet Boys when I was little too? I can't listen to them now, though. And that's fine; there are J-pop songs I really liked when I started getting into anime that I can't stand now as well.

There are a lot of terrible songs on the radio now, but I'll take it if it means that I occasionally find out about artists like Gotye and Fun, or songs like Take Care and Lights. And songs like Call Me Maybe that I realize are terrible but also can't bring myself to hate. >_>;;
And ideally if I give it a few years everyone will forget about songs like One More Night and whatever that hefty bag Train song is called and I'll just hear about whatever awful songs are popular in 2015 or whatever year instead. That's how it's gone so far, at least.

Jaycorn
Pokemon probably reached its peak at Gen 2. That game was worked on as though it was going to be the last Pokemon game, and it was just perfect. Now people EV train and junk and there are WAY too many Pokemon and it has just gotten real stale. I still like it, but it's just not, like, perfect anymore. I didn't mind the problems in the first gen, either. At least it was simple and fresh.

You keep describing good games as simple, and it's kind of bothering me. Games can definitely be too complex, but adding new things isn't automatically bad. The running shoes make the movement system more complex (walking, running, using the bike/switching gears) but I don't think anyone would want them removed from future games over this since they're incredibly convenient. The physical/special split is a lot more complex than separating the property by type, but it also improves the battle abilities of a lot of pokémon (and eliminates really dumb things like Alakazam being a monster with the elemental punches and Hitmonchan not being able to use them well). More variety in what pokémon can learn makes things more complex, but since I'm limited to six pokémon I want most of those pokémon to be able to use several different types of attacks.

A lot of the problems people mention with RBY are really bad from a casual perspective, though. Not thawing automatically means you're out a pokémon unless the player you're fighting has a fire-type (they probably don't). Constantly using rage until the pokémon dies and not being able to stop it is terrible design; I at least need the option to switch out especially with some of the other mechanics present in first gen (someone else had a fun story where their pokémon used rage and was frozen right after and they had to sit there and wait for the opponent to kill their pokémon). The special stat covering special attack and defense meant that a pokémon with high special was a lot better than a physical attacker. The list goes on.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm

And then like 80% of music sounds like this

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 am

Bleh, I sort of hate competitive battling anyway, and the way people are so intense about it. RPGs just don't really make great multiplayer versus games. Like, I battled Fish in Fossil Fighters and won the first time simply because I was further ahead in the game, and then the second time he beat me because he'd put way more effort into his guys than me (I just made mine good enough to beat all in-game foes). There's no skill or satisfaction there, it's just time and effort. I guess it can be fun to some people, especially if you're battling relatively equal Pokemon, but it's not really my thing.

I absolutely appreciate certain new features, especially if they make the game less tedious. I just also like how humble, straightforward and small a lot of older games are. They could make normal DK or Kirby platformers without it having to be a "return". The gameplay and look that made Sonic king didn't need to be called "classic". Now they can't make an old-style Sonic game with new, interesting levels; they all have to be uninspired throwbacks to the old levels. Yoshi and Kirby didn't need to be made of yarn to be interesting. This probably doesn't make sense.

I also just kind of prefer the first Smash Bros. and Pokemon because there wasn't all that serious competition surrounding them. I obviously can play the latter Pokemon and SSB games without being very competitive about them but the fact that I'm not just makes me feel like I suck. xd
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 am

Stuff that gets radio play represents a minority of music.

The wonderful thing about this day and age is how easy it is to find other things to listen to.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 am

I also hate hipster music and hipsters remember when hipster didn't exist mad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 am

In this day and age the wonderful thing is that I can easily download video game soundtracks

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 am

Hipster is a term from the 50s. Today it just means people who assimilate lots of things as cultural-capital, right? When have those people not existed.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 am

What sucks is that it's so hard to find good recent stuff to listen to that ISN'T from a video game, for me.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:38 am

[Kegan]
Hipster is a term from the 50s. Today it just means people who assimilate lots of things as cultural-capital, right? When have those people not existed.

http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/the-evolution-of-a-hipster_50290b4e749ad_w906.jpg
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25497 25498 25499 25500 25501 25502 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games