Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25548 25549 25550 25551 25552 25553 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm

i liked the n-cult RPG demo denko made lol.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Kid Icarus, I think, had such a big following because it was such a cool concept. It's true that it hasn't aged well. Most NES games didn't. Maybe that's what Earthbound fans see in their game. I don't know. I just know they never shut up about it.

Waynebrizzle

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Remember what happened last time Nintendo gave into fans' constant whining? We got the Project Rainfall games, and they all sold terribly. They're likely to never listen to fans again.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:28 pm

i hope they just observe fan opinion better. outright not listening to fans would be counter productive.

Xilo The Odd

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

People don't usually know what they want until they get it and Nintendo is the best company to prove that.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Waynebrizzle
Remember what happened last time Nintendo gave into fans' constant whining? We got the Project Rainfall games, and they all sold terribly. They're likely to never listen to fans again.

Xenoblade sold out completely and is only available for crazy prices and The Last Story was XSEED's most successful title. Pandora's Tower isn't out for about another week, so we can't say anything about its sales yet.

I doubt they sold on the level of a first-party Nintendo franchise or anything, but the Operation Rainfall fans obviously supported the games and they seem to have done well in their niche.

EDIT: Reggie even thought Xenoblade sold well!

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Zephyrkitty
Waynebrizzle

Xenoblade sold out completely and is only available for crazy prices and The Last Story was XSEED's most successful title. Pandora's Tower isn't out for about another week, so we can't say anything about its sales yet.

I doubt they sold on the level of a first-party Nintendo franchise or anything, but the Operation Rainfall fans obviously supported the games and they seem to have done well in their niche.

EDIT: Reggie even thought Xenoblade sold well!

Right, Xenoblade sold out, but with a limited stock. One that was exclusive to Gamestop, if I remember right. The high prices are because the game is so rare now, which is also sort of a testament to how little it actually sold.

That's pretty cool, but I don't recall any of XSEED's titles selling very well.

That Reggie with impressed with either game's sales could also be attributed to having low expectations of it. They probably only printed so many copies of Xenoblade in the first place because they knew it wasn't going to sell THAT well. I will amend my claim that it was a failure, but you're not gonna get me to say that they sold well. Not by Nintendo standards. Not to bash modest success, but the whole claim with Project Rainfall in the first place was that there was some sort of giant demand in North America for these games, so when they don't even break a million worldwide, I'm compelled to side with Nintendo's first instincts on the matter.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 pm

I can't really complain about them localizing the games just to make fans happy, though.

Waynebrizzle

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

It just occurred to me how little I want/expect from games these days.

I just take what I get. And I'm pretty contented. I don't even spend that much time thinking about sequels or franchises.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 pm

It's probably just because I haven't had money for new games in many months.

Sour grapes and all that.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:37 am

Mother games are fun if you are a person like me who likes:
-to get assigned goals and go take care of them and be rewarded with story
-to explore and discover new places and things
-RPG gameplay, like talking to NPCs, acquiring new items, armor and weapons and strategizing how to fight (note: a lot of RPGs have tedious battles at the beginning before you can do much and EB is no exception, but they get better)
-an unpredictable story and when games do anything unique
-cute, colorful graphics
-the little details
-a great soundtrack.

If that's not good enough for you, well, Mother is not for you, and it may seem like it's no good because JRPGs are not your thing, but it is good for what it is. In my opinion. We will never all agree. Also, Earthbound has aged as well as any other good SNES game.

I looked into what inspired Giygas and into why it won't get released here when I was playing it, but haven't been rabid about it. I hope you'll agree. I wouldn't push it on to people any more than I would any other game I think is good. It's definitely not the best. They all have flaws. So do basically all games. And I feel neutral about them not getting released here, when you don't take annoying fans into consideration.

It's gotta be slightly above average. An average RPG would be... well, like one set in medieval ages where you go have an armor-clad knight and a magician and s**t and you fight the dragons and then save the princess.You know. It's predictable, overdone and boring. Maybe they have fancy cinematics, but they don't make up for how boring it is. You also would have to grind a lot, whereas you don't have to deal with grinding really in Mother 3 and especially 2 when any weak enemy is defeated the moment you touch it. The first Mother is severely flawed in terms of random battles happening way too often but an easy hack, my emulator's x2 speed capability, the killer soundtrack and the intrigue allowed me to forgive it. You can see the enemy in the overworld in Mother 2 before it sees you, and that is something awesome that I haven't seen in any other JRPG but Persona and Paper Mario.

Kid Icarus has always been kinda shitty IMHO ^o^ Dunno what's so cool about walking left or right, jumping, and shooting arrows. Also I can't stand ugly games with annoying music and stupid bullshit. I hate bullshit. But if it has bullshit and is actually good in like every other way, like Ninja Gaiden, then that's fine. Unless it's major bullshit like not giving you any direction

I don't know what Project Rainfall is. I never knew what all those JRPGs that people were petitioning about were, until they starting whining about them. I doubt Mother games wouldn't sell well. All Nintendo fans know Ness and Lucas. I have known Ness since I was a little girl because of Smash Bros., and the first time I saw him I would go around saying "PK FIRE!" and stuff. xd I mean it's gotta at least sell as well as Fire Emblem at this point.

I didn't know I wanted Dark Moon when it was announced. But then I loved it. Thank you, Nintendo.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:06 am

If a game stands the test of time, and is still fun 10+ years later, that's how you can tell it's *really* a good game. Obviously what's fun varies from person to person, so arguing about that is pointless, but we do it anyway.

Earthbound stood the test of time. Earthbound Zero did not, but sometimes, some people are interested enough in the origins of a series and in what games used to be like to check it out. Like me. Still doesn't make it a good game. One of the best NES soundtracks, though, and amazing for an NES RPG, which isn't saying much.

Also, you won't get as excited over an RPG as a platformer or other more action-oriented game. It's a less concentrated, drawn out, personal kind of excitement. When you've stopped playing for awhile and find yourself thinking about the game and getting a little bit excited about what you're going to do next in it, and looking forward to progressing in it, and listening to its music while you walk outside and even imagining you're part of it, I think that's how you can tell it's good. I mean, there's a specific feeling of satisfaction you can only get from this type of game, I find.

The one thing that sucks is that you can't really share that excitement with friends. That's why I find it so much harder to make friends with people if we both like the same RPG, because we can't play and experience it together. But it's great if you're kind of a bit of a loner anyway. The exception is games like Pokemon, where you can trade and battle. That's maybe one of the reasons why Pokemon is like the most beloved RPG series ever, at least in NA. Plus collecting, training and battling with your own unique set of monsters is more interesting than just using the same four characters the game picked for you. Persona is awesome because you have the monsters but your people also fight and aren't just lazy slavedrivers, too. But now I'm rambling.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Rad Electropow

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 am

Xilo The Odd
i liked the n-cult RPG demo denko made lol.

I was just looking back at the rpg stuff he did the other day. Get out of my head Xilo, there's only enough room for me ):

Also anyone know what happened to Denko?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

I saw him log on steam a few months ago, but I didn't talk to him.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah, the original Kid Icarus is kind of shitty. So is the first Mario. And the first Metroid. And the first Zelda. And the first Megaman. And the first Castlevania. And the first Kirby. And the first Resident Evil. And the first Uncharted. And the first God of War. And the first Smash Brothers (let's be honest). And the first Luigi's Mansion.

You get my point. I could go on. No one can look at Uprising and say the game didn't deserve a sequel. I could see Earthbound getting the same treatment, whether I hate the fan base or not. Maybe they could get the people that make the Mario and Luigi series to do a new one and give it better combat. "It's an RPG" is not an excuse. You can have SOME interactivity.
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25548 25549 25550 25551 25552 25553 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games