Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25549 25550 25551 25552 25553 25554 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Reggie is paid to say that his company is doing well.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Waynebrizzle
Yeah, the original Kid Icarus is kind of shitty. So is the first Mario. And the first Metroid. And the first Zelda. And the first Megaman. And the first Castlevania. And the first Kirby. And the first Resident Evil. And the first Uncharted. And the first God of War. And the first Smash Brothers (let's be honest). And the first Luigi's Mansion.

You get my point. I could go on. No one can look at Uprising and say the game didn't deserve a sequel. I could see Earthbound getting the same treatment, whether I hate the fan base or not. Maybe they could get the people that make the Mario and Luigi series to do a new one and give it better combat. "It's an RPG" is not an excuse. You can have SOME interactivity.

I still ******** love playing the first Smash Bros. I ain't give a s**t, it's just as fun as any other SSB game but simpler (which is kinda nice in some ways).
And I wouldn't call all of those kinda shitty, just relatively shitty compared to their successors. I can still play some of those and have actual fun.

Mother 3 already had a combat system that incorporated timing like Mario & Luigi, but it didn't really work too well, at least not on emulators. They tried. I wouldn't mind seeing any decent company upgrade one (or all) of the games in every way, and put it on the 3DS. This would definitely be preferable to just putting them on VC. I'm not gonna cry that they probably won't, though..

I still don't think an RPG NEEDS to have timing s**t in its battles to be good necessarily, though. At least when it's one that forces you to strategize, so you're actually busy thinking and don't need to have that to prevent yourself from getting bored.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Waynebrizzle
Zephyrkitty
Waynebrizzle
Remember what happened last time Nintendo gave into fans' constant whining? We got the Project Rainfall games, and they all sold terribly. They're likely to never listen to fans again.

Xenoblade sold out completely and is only available for crazy prices and The Last Story was XSEED's most successful title. Pandora's Tower isn't out for about another week, so we can't say anything about its sales yet.

I doubt they sold on the level of a first-party Nintendo franchise or anything, but the Operation Rainfall fans obviously supported the games and they seem to have done well in their niche.

EDIT: Reggie even thought Xenoblade sold well!

Right, Xenoblade sold out, but with a limited stock. One that was exclusive to Gamestop, if I remember right. The high prices are because the game is so rare now, which is also sort of a testament to how little it actually sold.

That's pretty cool, but I don't recall any of XSEED's titles selling very well.

That Reggie with impressed with either game's sales could also be attributed to having low expectations of it. They probably only printed so many copies of Xenoblade in the first place because they knew it wasn't going to sell THAT well. I will amend my claim that it was a failure, but you're not gonna get me to say that they sold well. Not by Nintendo standards. Not to bash modest success, but the whole claim with Project Rainfall in the first place was that there was some sort of giant demand in North America for these games, so when they don't even break a million worldwide, I'm compelled to side with Nintendo's first instincts on the matter.

How many JRPGs break a million sales worldwide, especially within the last decade? Pokémon and Final Fantasy can do it, as well as Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter because of Japan. There are a couple other games that slip in (The Mario RPGs and possibly Kingdom Hearts). Beyond that it's probably not happening.

A million units sold worldwide would certainly be amazing, but JRPGs are a genre that almost never hits that outside of several long-established series. There's enough of a fanbase to justify localizing and selling these games (there are a few companies that specialize in releasing them, and we do still get new games), but ultimately it's a niche that considers a couple hundred thousand copies to be a success. VGChartz has sales at 800k worldwide (and about half of that in the US), so it would certainly be considered a success within that niche. Not everything has to sell at Mario/Zelda/Pokémon levels to be considered good.

(Possibly of interest since we're comparing it to Nintendo though: It's currently sold more than the new Fire Emblem if we just consider physical copies. I'd expect FE to pull ahead in the long run since Europe still hasn't gotten it and this doesn't include digital purchases, but it's still pretty respectable.)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:20 pm

i dunno if i'd call monster hunter in murica any real kind of success. yeah i play it, probably in unhealthy amounts, sure the server are always bustling with activity, but is it really a success? no. you could weigh the cross platform multi, i'd point out its still only between one company. you could throw on it made a million sales, cool. but even though they promised HD on the Wiiu version its just barely there. the so called HD portion of it to me, is a lie.

if MH3U is a success then i am too.

(is unemployed, lacks motivation, has done almost nothing with his life so far.)

its success to me, weighs on its competing games for the same system. CoD: BO sucks. the online multi sucks for it. trine 2 is ok but it only goes so far before you've done everything. pit MH3U against any Wiiu title and its the bigger success, cause compared to the others overall, it simply has more features, and generally works more often than the others.

so things like Xenoblade, which i hadn't even heard of till now, to me, not a success. i didn't know about it, never heard of it during its release, finally see it now and have no interest.

~end rant

Xilo The Odd

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Xilo The Odd
i dunno if i'd call monster hunter in murica any real kind of success. yeah i play it, probably in unhealthy amounts, sure the server are always bustling with activity, but is it really a success? no. you could weigh the cross platform multi, i'd point out its still only between one company. you could throw on it made a million sales, cool. but even though they promised HD on the Wiiu version its just barely there. the so called HD portion of it to me, is a lie.

(is unemployed, lacks motivation, has done almost nothing with his life so far.)

its success to me, weighs on its competing games for the same system. CoD: BO sucks. the online multi sucks for it. trine 2 is ok but it only goes so far before you've done everything. pit MH3U against any Wiiu title and its the bigger success, cause compared to the others overall, it simply has more features, and generally works more often than the others.

so things like Xenoblade, which i hadn't even heard of till now, to me, not a success. i didn't know about it, never heard of it during its release, finally see it now and have no interest.

~end rant

I'm talking about success from a sales standpoint, not a quality/enjoyability/extras one. I haven't played anywhere near enough of Monster Hunter anything or Xenoblade to talk about how successful they were in terms of how much I enjoy them (and even if I had it's a really subjective argument), but I can argue that both were successes in terms of how well they sold.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 am

Everyone is defining "success" here differently to start with, so no one is getting anywhere.

Meta_Fish
Captain

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:04 am

Meta_Fish
Everyone is defining "success" here differently to start with, so no one is getting anywhere.

heart Success is dating you.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 am

16-bit Jazzy
Waynebrizzle
Yeah, the original Kid Icarus is kind of shitty. So is the first Mario. And the first Metroid. And the first Zelda. And the first Megaman. And the first Castlevania. And the first Kirby. And the first Resident Evil. And the first Uncharted. And the first God of War. And the first Smash Brothers (let's be honest). And the first Luigi's Mansion.

You get my point. I could go on. No one can look at Uprising and say the game didn't deserve a sequel. I could see Earthbound getting the same treatment, whether I hate the fan base or not. Maybe they could get the people that make the Mario and Luigi series to do a new one and give it better combat. "It's an RPG" is not an excuse. You can have SOME interactivity.

I still ******** love playing the first Smash Bros. I ain't give a s**t, it's just as fun as any other SSB game but simpler (which is kinda nice in some ways).
And I wouldn't call all of those kinda shitty, just relatively shitty compared to their successors. I can still play some of those and have actual fun.

Mother 3 already had a combat system that incorporated timing like Mario & Luigi, but it didn't really work too well, at least not on emulators. They tried. I wouldn't mind seeing any decent company upgrade one (or all) of the games in every way, and put it on the 3DS. This would definitely be preferable to just putting them on VC. I'm not gonna cry that they probably won't, though..

I still don't think an RPG NEEDS to have timing s**t in its battles to be good necessarily, though. At least when it's one that forces you to strategize, so you're actually busy thinking and don't need to have that to prevent yourself from getting bored.

Some of them aren't that bad. The NES ones definitely are. All of them are shitty compared to their sequels, though. I don't know anyone that says the first Smash Bros is their favorite. Really, all of the Smash Bros games make the older ones look bad in comparison. It'd be like saying you like the original Metroid better than Zero Mission. Anyone that says that is full of it.

It doesn't need to be timing s**t. Just needs to be something that keeps it from being a menu system with accompanying animations (or in Earthbound's case... just a menu system). Strategy would be fine, if it was actually good, but it usually just boils down to, "x is weak to x. This boss can't be hurt until you use X spell."

I refuse to touch any RPG that intentionally makes you grind. If Sticker Star was a bad game, it wasn't because they ditched leveling. I didn't once think that was needed. If anything, it was because boss battles boiled down to "use X sticker to weaken the boss, then spam them until they die." But then again, that's not any different from the description of "strategy" I gave above. It's also true that you could extend that to games in other genres, but at least they're more tactile and you're not just choosing a selection from a menu. Turn-based RPGs need to step it up.

Waynebrizzle

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:30 am

Zephyrkitty
Xilo The Odd

~end rant

I'm talking about success from a sales standpoint, not a quality/enjoyability/extras one. I haven't played anywhere near enough of Monster Hunter anything or Xenoblade to talk about how successful they were in terms of how much I enjoy them (and even if I had it's a really subjective argument), but I can argue that both were successes in terms of how well they sold.
ah i thought it was overall success. sales yeah just about anything thats hyped enough can get a good sales success. just look at minecraft xP.

Waynebrizzle
16-bit Jazzy
Waynebrizzle

Some of them aren't that bad. The NES ones definitely are. All of them are shitty compared to their sequels, though. I don't know anyone that says the first Smash Bros is their favorite. Really, all of the Smash Bros games make the older ones look bad in comparison. It'd be like saying you like the original Metroid better than Zero Mission. Anyone that says that is full of it.

It doesn't need to be timing s**t. Just needs to be something that keeps it from being a menu system with accompanying animations (or in Earthbound's case... just a menu system). Strategy would be fine, if it was actually good, but it usually just boils down to, "x is weak to x. This boss can't be hurt until you use X spell."

I refuse to touch any RPG that intentionally makes you grind. If Sticker Star was a bad game, it wasn't because they ditched leveling. I didn't once think that was needed. If anything, it was because boss battles boiled down to "use X sticker to weaken the boss, then spam them until they die." But then again, that's not any different from the description of "strategy" I gave above. It's also true that you could extend that to games in other genres, but at least they're more tactile and you're not just choosing a selection from a menu. Turn-based RPGs need to step it up.
yeah its one reason i was ok with FF 8, it still had some of those elements but some of the stuff was more active like the limit breaks, one characters is like doing button combos for a fighting game, another is based on the timing of a trigger pull atleast Square tried to do something neat with a turn based RPG.

only RPG i'll prolly play is monster hunter, atleast grinding in that makes sense and X creature may be weak to X element, that doesn't mean you should always use that element.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am

Xilo The Odd
ah i thought it was overall success. sales yeah just about anything thats hyped enough can get a good sales success. just look at minecraft xP.

I'm doing clinical work in elementary classes as part of the teaching program, and I've had several kids in my classes (and around the school) wearing Minecraft shirts and talking about the game. It's actually kind of neat to see how far the game has come from being pretty much only known about by internet nerds.

(Other thing that is super-popular with internet people but I see kids wearing shirts of and talking about: My Little Pony. It's nice to know that there are non-creepy fans of the show!)

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 am

almost anything will have a small to large legion of creepy fans xP

but yeah i hate seeing it listed in my netflix i wish i could nuke it.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Of course, but MLP is particularly bad because the bronies seem to drown out the fans that aren't creepy (and sometimes even complain about the non-creepy fans not liking their stuff). I think the show itself is cute, but I don't really interact with the fandom at all.

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I agree. The show's not bad. The bronies just kind of ruin it for everyone.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Waynebrizzle
16-bit Jazzy
Waynebrizzle

The first Smash Bros. is my favorite mad Earthbound does have some accompanying animations. Turn-based RPGs don't need to step it up if they're done well but you don't like RPGs so you won't agree with me so this argument is over

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay.
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25549 25550 25551 25552 25553 25554 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games