Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25688 25689 25690 25691 25692 25693 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

Jarogue

9,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:52 pm

I really don't see why people hate Persona 1 so much. I will say that the j pop battle music isn't great in the psp ver. and the grid weapon system isn't that great at the beginning. But I love the 3d FP dungeon crawling and the demon contact system. It also help if you played one of the main SMT, like Strange Journey, but with party members that can Lv up faster.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 am

Jarogue
I really don't see why people hate Persona 1 so much. I will say that the j pop battle music isn't great in the psp ver. and the grid weapon system isn't that great at the beginning. But I love the 3d FP dungeon crawling and the demon contact system. It also help if you played one of the main SMT, like Strange Journey, but with party members that can Lv up faster.

Well to be fair, I only tried it a couple times and didn't really give it that much of a chance, but I can be a little sensitive with motion sickness and that first-person navigation honestly makes me feel nauseous, so that prevented me from wanting to try it anymore.

Of the main SMT games, I have played ~50 hours of Devil Survivor Overclocked, but gave up on it. Dunno how different it is from other SMT games but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

I dunno. I WANT to like Persona 1 but I just... can't. I think it's terrible. I had so much trouble doing even basic things when I tried it. crying And even if I give it another chance, it'll still make me feel bad anyway because of the first-person dungeon crawling. It's really hard for me to believe that it's even a Persona game, since I played 3 and 4 first... it's SO different! The art style is weird, and where are the social links? The demon contact thing does look kinda funny, but yeah I have to agree that the battle music seems obnoxious. I kinda like the actual song, but it doesn't look like it suits those battles too well.

But hey, it's cool that you've played it. I wasn't expecting that! surprised Have you played 2 as well? Or all of them?

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:05 am

I_love_Inuyasha1
16-bit Jazzy
I_love_Inuyasha1
I was gonna play P3P if I got a Vita! Then I was also gonna play P4G.
But most importantly I'd play Dangan Ronpa!

Wow, that sounds like a great game. Too bad I'd HAVE TO BUY A PSP just for that. ;w; They're still expensive! The ********, Sony.
Yus, lend me your Powered Up + PSP. 3nodding

Oh man... the best versions of like the best games on one handheld system... emotion_drool You're so lucky.

I know like nothing about Dang Rope and got confused when I tried googling it ;_; I'm just gonna be ignorant and disagree that it's the most important factor here.

You know what? You will borrow it. I will send it to you after Christmas. I could send P3P too, though you're probably gonna want to own it if you're getting a Vita anyway. Last I knew, it only cost 9.99. Still, it weighs like nothing and I'm obviously not going to be playing it...? Ummm... I also have Persona 1 but emotion_puke

I will send it to your school and address it to "I_love_Inuyasha1". Wish whoever gets it luck in finding you! ^o^ (jk, need shipping info though)

It's gonna be pretty baller.
Haha, Dangan Ronpa is kinda like Phoenix Wright. It's like a murder mystery thing set at a high school. Starring an adorable bear principal.

Ahhhhh! biggrin Thanks Jas!
Lol. Unfortunately the package would just bounce back to you if you did that. XD
Here's my shipping info:
Brigitte Novak
2489 American River Dr
Sacramento, CA, 95825

Murder mystery... high school... bear? Wow, that's sounding like Persona 4, actually. I guess that makes the Vita the ultimate system for games about high school murder mysteries with bears. xd Ugh I hope you haven't been spoiled already by tumblr. You have to keep away from the persona 4 tag when you play it because people will aggressively post the biggest spoiler and not give a s**t. I'm serious. I literally just searched the tag and it took me 5 seconds to find the ultimate spoiler.

Taking note. I will probably send it over the holidays sometime. You're welcome~
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:23 am

NINTENDO

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Jarogue

9,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:28 am

If it helps you could practice on Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth when it comes out. If it is going to be like Etrian Odyssey, then Persona Q will have FPDC.

Funny store about Persona. When Person 1 first come out for psp I only got it because it came with a soundtrack and ended up becoming my favorite rpgs. I got P4G and played about 6 hour into it until I had to restarted because I missed up a social event. After geting P4G I got P2IS on psp and P3 FES and Portable but haven't played any of them because I want to finish the Snow Queen quest in 1. Getting P2EP sometime this month on PSN.

I also played from the SMT series: Strange Journey, Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, and SMT 4. I have Devil Survivor Overclocked but haven't played it.

The SMT series is just one of my favorite rpgs because of how difference it is from other rpg like Final Fantasy or Dragon's Quest.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Oh no... please no. Persona Q better not.

I mean, just because it's directed by the EO guy doesn't mean it's gonna be like exactly the same gameplay, right? T^T

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm

You know, the most recent Etrian game had a story mode with fixed characters and dialogue.

RPG gameplay wise, aren't both of these series pretty close to your standard gear allotting random encounter fighting JRPG cookie cutter?

The only difference is one has some dating-sim elements, right?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't know... I REALLY liked battling in Persona 3 and 4, and I'm not a big fan of the whole cookie cutter RPG thing. I supposed the differences are as follows:

-NO FIXED PARTY MEMBERS. At least not once you've met enough characters. Towards the end of the game, I find there's a specific party of three that I definitely prefer taking with me.

-You have several different Personas you can bring with you and use in battle, kind of like Pokemon, with their own elemental strengths/weaknesses and attacks. Some kinds of attacks can also just not harm them at all (null) or they can absorb the attack and gain health from it, or they can reflect the attack back at the enemy. The enemies are like this, too.

-These are Personas that you fused yourself, meaning that the Personas you have on you at any given point are probably not going to be the exact same as everyone else. Also you can make different, stronger ones as you progress (like Pokemon)

-Most characters have one Persona they can use. The main character can use 100+. The main character's flexibility allow him/her to play any role in the battle as needed - primary physical or magical attacker, healer, buffer, whateva.

-During the main character's turn, you can give orders to the other party members, like telling them to act on their own, or to let you control them directly, or to conserve SP (like MP or PP) or heal and so on.

-A person's weaknesses/strengths change based on what Persona they have (or in the main character's case, which Persona they currently have equipped - you can change once a turn).

-You also have a weapon and can choose to attack with that instead of using a Persona. Your weapon also has an attribute (Pierce, Stike or Slash) that some enemies are weak to, much like elemental weaknesses.

-The point is to first figure out what the enemies' weaknesses are, and take advantage of them. When you hit an enemy's weakness, it gets knocked over (same goes for you party members). If you can knock over all enemies, you can perform an "all-out attack" where your whole party just rushes towards the enemies and beat them up in a big cartoon cloud, often causing the damage needed to end the battle. You can just defeat them individually too, though.

-Your party members can die and be revived, but if the main character dies, it's game over. So the whole time, you're trying to protect the main character like an egg. It makes for quite the adrenaline-filled experience... at least for a JRPG.

-Bosses are often more complex and harder/longer to take out, and you often really have to use strategy then, but since it's Persona you can be kinda creative about it.

-Having success in the dating sim part of the game helps makes it easier to fuse stronger Personas, and also unlocks some really baller Personas that you wouldn't be able to fuse otherwise.

It's all those differences that made me LOVE the battle system. I even loved P3FES' The Answer, which is like 30 hours of additional gameplay that is JUST dungeon crawling and battles and s**t (and story but no social links). ALSO STOP EVERYONE CALLING IT A DATING SIM IT'S ALSO A FRIENDSHIP SIM OK.

The dungeon-crawling aspect is cool, too! You can make your party members all run around and search for the stairs individually and order them around. And you can see enemies before fighting them so it's not just random battles. You could try to sneak around them if you didn't want to fight, but I recommend sneaking up on them and fighting them all! >:3 Unless you're just trying to find the save point ASAP or something.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Basically if you can compare it to Pokemon at all, it's probably more interesting than most RPGs. mad D I love the whole rock-paper-scissors thing. So much more interesting than "just try and inflict as much damage as possible using any old attack". Final Fantasy makes me bored and sleepy.

Though I love pretty much everything about P3/4 battles. Aside from that you can't directly control your allies in the PS2 versions of P3 and the AI is kinda dumb. Also those times when you've made so much progress and then you get ambushed and the main character gets killed and it's game over and you lose all that progress... o_o
I also dislike fighting the Hanged Man boss in P3. Most annoying part of the game. ><
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

All-out attacks were shown in the PQ trailer so hopefully that means the battle system will not suck.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:09 pm

16-bit Jazzy
Basically if you can compare it to Pokemon at all, it's probably more interesting than most RPGs. mad D I love the whole rock-paper-scissors thing. So much more interesting than "just try and inflict as much damage as possible using any old attack". Final Fantasy makes me bored and sleepy.

Though I love pretty much everything about P3/4 battles. Aside from that you can't directly control your allies in the PS2 versions of P3 and the AI is kinda dumb. Also those times when you've made so much progress and then you get ambushed and the main character gets killed and it's game over and you lose all that progress... o_o
I also dislike fighting the Hanged Man boss in P3. Most annoying part of the game. ><
Rock paper scissors style attack systems AREN'T part of the cookie cutter JRPG?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Jarogue
I think I'm going to just quit Mega man for now and just go back to A ranking Sonic Adventure DX to get all those Game Gear games instead.
Just buy Gems? Or don't play the Game Gear games, lol.

If you're looking for quality Mega Man, which ones have you played? I can suggest some original ones that are also good.

I_love_Inuyasha1
Okay, Fish even thinks it's hard.
I feel better. 3nodding
I think I talked to Ryan about MM9 and he was really encouraging. But I CANNOT beat it. Was it MM10 instead?

You've beaten lots of impossible games though, Jasmine, so you're just pro.
I'm not sure any amount of trying would help me beat MM9.
Wayne sucks its d**k way too hard (which I can say because he quit Gaia like a c**k). It's good, probably the second-best, but it's way too hard. I remember Sauvie had an MSN status (wow) about something like "wow people actualy think megaman 2 is hard??? huh." It's ******** hard. It's only easy because you've played it to death.

That said, 9 is hard, even if you've played others. It's a Mega Man game for Mega Man fans.

[Kegan]
I got a game over after using all my willpower to reach that point, and I was just like... "Well, I've seen all there is to see. I'm done."
It can be really soul-crushing. Old game design is just like that and I think each kind of has their place. New games are easier with more to see but less personal reward, but old games have less to show and have a lot more personal reward.

16-bit Jazzy
Speaking of Mega Man, I really loved Powered Up...

If I were somehow rich, I would buy everyone here a PSP and a copy of Mega Man: Powered Up just so you all could experience it.

(And who am I kidding, you would all get P3P as well whether you wanted it or not)
Speaking of, Yellow Devil in SSB4. God, I wish they'd release Powered Up on 3DS or something. Or even better, just Mega Man 2: Powered Up. I wonder if he'll go "buuuuuuuuuuumo" in Smash. Doubt it. He's still the worst part of that remake, let's just hope he doesn't ruin the Mega Man stage.

WHICH IS MEGA MAN 2, NOT MEGA MAN 1 HOW CAN THE YELLOW DEVIL SHOW UP THERE!?!?!?!?

Meta_Fish
Captain

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:23 pm

I_love_Inuyasha1
Okay, Fish even thinks it's hard.
I feel better. 3nodding
I think I talked to Ryan about MM9 and he was really encouraging. But I CANNOT beat it. Was it MM10 instead?

You've beaten lots of impossible games though, Jasmine, so you're just pro.
I'm not sure any amount of trying would help me beat MM9.
Double-quoting this post. 10 is alright, it's more of a 4 if anything. Not bad but nothing amazing. If you find it hard, just play as Bass. You can totally beat them though. It just takes a lot of trial and error. And buying powerups before you do the castles (save up screws!).

The twin devils are just so ******** stupid. The Yellow Devil was bad enough, now there are two and they're still hard to dodge, have a small window and a s**t weakness. Ugh. Any Mega Man game with devils is instantly a little worse.

The the Wily boss with the eggs is so stupid. It's down to timing and I always ******** it up and URHLKFDSJLKSDJ.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:25 pm

[Kegan]
16-bit Jazzy

Rock paper scissors style attack systems AREN'T part of the cookie cutter JRPG?

UH, NO NOT REALLY?

I have never, in any Square game, really had to exploit weaknesses or anything like that. It's just like, attack. An attack is an attack.

Same with the Mother games.

What else have I played? In Mario RPGs I guess that sorta applies? Not really?

Persona, Pokemon and Fossil Fighters are the best examples I can think of, of the rock-paper-scissors thing. I'm sure there are more, I just haven't played them.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Fire Emblem is centered around it, but that's not the same kind of thing.
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25688 25689 25690 25691 25692 25693 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games