Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25689 25690 25691 25692 25693 25694 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:57 pm

EO has Piercing blunt and slash damage weapons, and then it has elemental attacks and weaknesses. sometimes you work with both at once.

Elemental rock paper scisors is pretty common. A lot of games you can get through by just using your strongets attacks, but you should know that you can do that with pokemon if you grind hard enough. How do you think any of us beat the elite 4 as kids?

We stacked our teams high with legendary birds and starter pokemon, and hunted down every nugget in the game for cash to buy revives.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Even the most generic JRPGs have Resistance and Defense stats, which are not rock paper scissors, but the precursor to that.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Ookay, whatever. It's the other differences that make it stand out, then. I hated the EOIV demo...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I don't think the rock-paper-scissors thing is QUITE as important to some of those other games as to Persona. If you get hit by your weakness, you'll miss a turn and you're at the enemy's mercy even if you're strong enough to survive. Same goes for the enemies. So you REALLY have to mind them. I don't know how well just grinding your way through could work. It's not as easy.

Also you can't just tell the enemy's weakness just by looking at it, the first time you encounter it. You have to analyze the enemy or use trial and error to figure out its weak points.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Meta_Fish
I_love_Inuyasha1
Okay, Fish even thinks it's hard.
I feel better. 3nodding
I think I talked to Ryan about MM9 and he was really encouraging. But I CANNOT beat it. Was it MM10 instead?

You've beaten lots of impossible games though, Jasmine, so you're just pro.
I'm not sure any amount of trying would help me beat MM9.
Double-quoting this post. 10 is alright, it's more of a 4 if anything. Not bad but nothing amazing. If you find it hard, just play as Bass. You can totally beat them though. It just takes a lot of trial and error. And buying powerups before you do the castles (save up screws!).

The twin devils are just so ******** stupid. The Yellow Devil was bad enough, now there are two and they're still hard to dodge, have a small window and a s**t weakness. Ugh. Any Mega Man game with devils is instantly a little worse.

The the Wily boss with the eggs is so stupid. It's down to timing and I always ******** it up and URHLKFDSJLKSDJ.

I'll just quote this one then!
Jeez, I didn't know Ryan quit Gaia. D: Wow, the second-best! I need to play it again. Wow, MSN. XD
I dunno, MM2 does seem easier. I beat it pretty quickly, and I was even using virtual buttons. (Maybe I'm just good, though? Naaaah)

Hmm... I don't think I've played 4 yet. I was trying to go in order (skipping 1) on the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. I got stuck in 3. And then I had college.
I don't remember if I played with Bass or not. I need to revisit 10 again too.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I_love_Inuyasha1
Meta_Fish
I_love_Inuyasha1
Okay, Fish even thinks it's hard.
I feel better. 3nodding
I think I talked to Ryan about MM9 and he was really encouraging. But I CANNOT beat it. Was it MM10 instead?

You've beaten lots of impossible games though, Jasmine, so you're just pro.
I'm not sure any amount of trying would help me beat MM9.
Double-quoting this post. 10 is alright, it's more of a 4 if anything. Not bad but nothing amazing. If you find it hard, just play as Bass. You can totally beat them though. It just takes a lot of trial and error. And buying powerups before you do the castles (save up screws!).

The twin devils are just so ******** stupid. The Yellow Devil was bad enough, now there are two and they're still hard to dodge, have a small window and a s**t weakness. Ugh. Any Mega Man game with devils is instantly a little worse.

The the Wily boss with the eggs is so stupid. It's down to timing and I always ******** it up and URHLKFDSJLKSDJ.

I'll just quote this one then!
Jeez, I didn't know Ryan quit Gaia. D: Wow, the second-best! I need to play it again. Wow, MSN. XD
I dunno, MM2 does seem easier. I beat it pretty quickly, and I was even using virtual buttons. (Maybe I'm just good, though? Naaaah)

Hmm... I don't think I've played 4 yet. I was trying to go in order (skipping 1) on the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. I got stuck in 3. And then I had college.
I don't remember if I played with Bass or not. I need to revisit 10 again too.

1) MM2 was my first MM game and it took me like a year to beat it. I was 15-16. It's really easy NOW, but yeah. xd So yea maybe you are/were really good.
2) Mega Man 4 is boring poop. It's definitely the most skippable one on the NES.
3) Mega Man 1 is good, you should play it (though I guess you're gonna be playing Powered Up, and it's kinda similar)!

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Meta_Fish
He's still the worst part of that remake, let's just hope he doesn't ruin the Mega Man stage.

DISAGREE I LIKED YELLOW DEVIL IN POWERED UP

So what if you have to fight him a few times? When you memorize what pattern you have to jump in and defeat him, it becomes like the most satisfying thing ever.

He was more frustrating in MM1.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Sometimes though, I wonder how much more tolerant the adorableness of Powered Up makes me of things. <<

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 pm

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/accessories/wii-balance-board/91433

This is tempting. I've always wanted to check out this peripheral. I am slightly ashamed to say I got really into the sony eyetoy back in the day. Because, you know, I was like 13 or something, but yeah, I have a history of enjoying dorky peripherals too much.

Man, I could get back into DDR...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Actually, my knees are probably too shitty for prolonged DDR...

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm

This only worked as intended when I opened the blinds all the way on snowy days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6OmmNeYL8U
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Plus it's nintendo quality as opposed to... whatever the eyetoy can be called.

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm

DDR is so ******** hard. I used to be okay at it but now I'm not so okay at it and I don't know what happened.

On the subject of Persona, it might be the whole "obtain and battle monsters!" thing that I like, more than the rock paper scissors thing. I actually thought about making a youtube channel about games where you raise/fight monster-type things and about virtual pets, buuut that was just an idea sweatdrop

On the subject of Mega Man, maybe the Yellow Devil was easier in Powered Up since I'd done it in Mega Man 1 first (and recently). >_< I hope not. He's not THAT hard... he just does like the same thing every time he attacks. It's just memorization.

I heart Mega Man 3

One time I watched Fish play a ROM of Mega Man V on the Game Boy and that one seemed really cool! I hope they put it on the eshop!!!

I hope they put old Pokemon games on the eshop too! At least Pokemon Trading Card Game! I would so play that all over. I still play it on my phone and challenge an NPC to a match in it once in awhile just for the fun of it. So proud of my "Jasmine deck". <<
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Pokemon TCG is one thing I kind of wish had stayed in gen 1 because there are too many cards to keep track of. And WAY too many to collect all of.

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:52 pm

16-bit Jazzy
Ookay, whatever. It's the other differences that make it stand out, then. I hated the EOIV demo...

I don't know how EOIV compares, but the weakest point of the first game was definitely the first stratum. It really says what it needs to that the tutorial quest (map the first floor) is pretty much impossible to complete without leaving and healing several times, and that the strategy for beating FOEs and the boss in that section is completely different from the other stratums (max poison and spam it vs. playing exactly how you'd expect to). I really liked the game by the third stratum or so, but those first several floors were a slog to get through.

That said, the series isn't really heavy on story or character development so if that's what you're looking for you won't really enjoy the games. Check out the Untold demo since that has a story mode, I guess?

16-bit Jazzy
I don't think the rock-paper-scissors thing is QUITE as important to some of those other games as to Persona. If you get hit by your weakness, you'll miss a turn and you're at the enemy's mercy even if you're strong enough to survive. Same goes for the enemies. So you REALLY have to mind them. I don't know how well just grinding your way through could work. It's not as easy.

Also you can't just tell the enemy's weakness just by looking at it, the first time you encounter it. You have to analyze the enemy or use trial and error to figure out its weak points.

None of the other games you mention use elemental rock-paper-scissors in the way that MegaTen does, but that doesn't mean that there aren't certain tactics present or that just grinding through them will work. Fire Emblem isn't completely reliant on figuring out and avoiding weaknesses, but you're also not just going to grind for a few hours and then just punch everything, either. The strategy of FE is figuring out which party members to use, where to have them go and who everyone should attack, and how to avoid having characters die since there's (usually) permadeath. Since you were asking about Square games, Tactics Ogre also operates on the same rules.

(Tactics Ogre is also awesome in that your choices actually affect how the story progresses and who will team up with you, but that's getting into a completely different topic.)
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25689 25690 25691 25692 25693 25694 ... 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games