Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Random Chat Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 pm
o.O Mew.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm
Mew back to you as well. biggrin  

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:26 pm
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
Well graphics designing isn't exactly a popular profession.

lol what?
everyone and their dog is a "Graphic designer" nowadays.

Like, seriously? I thought everyone wanted to sing these days.

maybe. but everyone with a stolen copy of photoshop nowadays is apparently a designer. confused

Psh. I think you can only call yourself a designer, when people start payin', for your stuff, and your time. I must say, though, pro designers have some spiffy workplaces. I went to one that's near the local mall, and the place has a friggin' mini waterfall in the main lobby.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:23 pm
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki

lol what?

maybe. but everyone with a stolen copy of photoshop nowadays is apparently a designer. confused

Psh. I think you can only call yourself a designer, when people start payin', for your stuff, and your time. I must say, though, pro designers have some spiffy workplaces. I went to one that's near the local mall, and the place has a friggin' mini waterfall in the main lobby.
The one I had a job shadow at wasn't very spiffy. There was a pretty small front desk area, and all the offices were cramped together, at least on the bottom floor. The top floor had a pair of offices conectedin such a way that you had to go through one to get to the other, and the rest was an idea/storage area.

The people were awesome though. And they had toys. Including a mini rubber chicken shooter. xd  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

godoftherain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki

lol what?

I disagree. People don't know much about design at all, and they will hire people who don't know a clue about design, like how a logo is supposed to actually work at small sizes with legible text, and it should be a vector and reduce simply to black and white so it can be faxed and photocopied.
Or, even worse, they'll hire a chop-shop online and buy a stolen logo.
Are those people designers? they have people paying for it, but the work is ugly and it doesn't actually work in application.
clients are usually kind of clueless.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:39 am
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki

lol what?

I disagree. People don't know much about design at all, and they will hire people who don't know a clue about design, like how a logo is supposed to actually work at small sizes with legible text, and it should be a vector and reduce simply to black and white so it can be faxed and photocopied.
Are those people designers? they have people paying for it, but the work is ugly and it doesn't actually work in application.

Hmm, yes, there is that. Many people are out there passing themselves off as designers, and preying on the naivety of their clients. I must ask, though. In your eyes, when is it justified to call a designer, a designer?  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

godoftherain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:01 am
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki
ningyou-kun
Koiyuki

Hmm, yes, there is that. Many people are out there passing themselves off as designers, and preying on the naivety of their clients. I must ask, though. In your eyes, when is it justified to call a designer, a designer?

Well, on the rawest level everyone is a designer as everyone makes things.
A professional would understand the technical standards including press and preproduction, the artistic and compositional issues of design, the industry standard tools, and issues unique to their craft, such as typography. Knowing these alone, you could probably be a good desktop publisher or diploma/certificate student, which is suitable, but ends up being a bit of a limiting understanding of design. Professional yes, but missing part of the picture.
I feel that a large part of a professional designer should understand the abstract scope of their own cultural power.
Professional design is also a methodology involving the manufacturing of culture, and a designer would know how to conduct research to express the visual paradigms and semiotical rhetoric required by their client, as well as making a functional piece of work.

I've worked with people who got design certificates 20 or 30 years ago, and they're now working in the field. (and have been for that time prior.) however, they lack that background of theory, and although they make OK things, when it comes to pushing and innovating and the cultural part, they often just do what the client says and leave it at that.
The biggest and best design firms, like Pentagram and Ideo use design methodology and research to innovate.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:42 pm
Oh no! The Random Chat Thread has turned not-so-random. I never saw that coming!! I say let's make a discussion thread out of this topic!!

Edit: Topic now in the main forum! With poll! smile  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

godoftherain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:27 pm
SilverVixen
Oh no! The Random Chat Thread has turned not-so-random. I never saw that coming!! I say let's make a discussion thread out of this topic!!

sorry!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:00 pm
ningyou-kun
SilverVixen

sorry!

Haha, no problem at all. smile  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:16 pm
SilverVixen
ningyou-kun
SilverVixen

sorry!

Haha, no problem at all. smile

I think it's a good thing, for people here who are considering being designers on a higher level. It helps bring to light new concepts and ways of thinking.

On a random note, I bought a magazine on Photoshop today @ Borders. $15 for it, but it's well worth the price, for all the insight it offers, along with the 150+ brushes it comes with. And despite only being sold it England, it somehow made it onto their newsstands. Would anyone like to see scans from the mag in question?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:41 pm
Koiyuki
I think it's a good thing, for people here who are considering being designers on a higher level. It helps bring to light new concepts and ways of thinking.

On a random note, I bought a magazine on Photoshop today @ Borders. $15 for it, but it's well worth the price, for all the insight it offers, along with the 150+ brushes it comes with. And despite only being sold it England, it somehow made it onto their newsstands. Would anyone like to see scans from the mag in question?
I don't see why not. Seeing a bit could be interesting.  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:15 am
User Image

For some reason, the whole thing couldn't fit in the scanner. D:

Tell me which features you wanna see first, then I'll scan the appropriate pages.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:52 pm
Dunno, my computer didn't much like just that one. xp Dial-up is evil...

But, something somewhat random for the thread ment for randomness - I have a sore throat, and sound horrible. Through the day it has been compared to a parrot, some sort of mechanical bird, grinding gears, a dying/wounded dog, and a donkey being raped by an elephant.

Bwaha.  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 am
lol happy days=P  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers