Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
SPAM CAN Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26205 26206 26207 26208 26209 26210 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Megas Album?
  Get Equipped
  Get Acoustic
  Megatainment
  History Repeating Blue
  History Repeating Red
View Results

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 pm
[Kegan]
(whenever I come here, no matter how long it's been since I checked, there's always a relatively recent post. like... even if the last one was weeks before that.).

2 years on, it still stands true

Oh, Top page again.

WHADDUP?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:42 pm
That's because there's dudes like me, that like to check their guilds every now and then.  

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Your WatchQueen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 pm
I also miss the guilds!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 pm
yeah, it sucks when time passes  

Bulbadoof

Grumpy Misfit

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 am
Let's build a time machine, nostalgia is a actually killing me right now crying  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 am
so how did everyone feel about sonic mania?  

Bulbadoof

Grumpy Misfit

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:45 am
Sonic Mania kicks a**! Though as always, I have trouble getting Chaos Emeralds past the fourth one.

Also I still suck at blue spheres...

The levels themselves though are a blast.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am
I don't have it yet but it looks suuuuuper fun!  

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100

Bulbadoof

Grumpy Misfit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 pm
dragn99
Sonic Mania kicks a**! Though as always, I have trouble getting Chaos Emeralds past the fourth one.

Also I still suck at blue spheres...

The levels themselves though are a blast.

yea it took me forever to get the hang of that bonus stage. i kinda wish they'd brought the sonic 2 bonus stage back instead of those a*****e blue spheres, though..

J of The Wind
I don't have it yet but it looks suuuuuper fun!

it really is! get it asap, it's worth twice the price. i haven't had this much fun in a platformer in a long time.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:57 pm
Sonic Mania is fantastic. The fifth and sixth emeralds are a total b***h to get but the last one isn't too bad. There's an extra bit if you go back and beat the final boss as Super Sonic too, but not one for Super Tails or Knuckles.

Really, the only disappointments I can think of is that the cutscenes aren't as good as CD and too much of it is old stages. Really, it might be the best Sonic game... ever. Some of the best old stages with a fresh set of tools, fantastic new stages, great musical remixes, great exploration, unlockables, references and surprises.

If you like any 2D Sonic game you owe it to yourself to get Mania. And that Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 boss.... oh my god.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Bulbadoof

Grumpy Misfit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 am
Meta_Fish
Sonic Mania is fantastic. The fifth and sixth emeralds are a total b***h to get but the last one isn't too bad. There's an extra bit if you go back and beat the final boss as Super Sonic too, but not one for Super Tails or Knuckles.

Really, the only disappointments I can think of is that the cutscenes aren't as good as CD and too much of it is old stages. Really, it might be the best Sonic game... ever. Some of the best old stages with a fresh set of tools, fantastic new stages, great musical remixes, great exploration, unlockables, references and surprises.

If you like any 2D Sonic game you owe it to yourself to get Mania. And that Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 boss.... oh my god.
i liked the mix of old stages and new stages, honestly. i loved how you revisited the original, got comfortable, and then saw their expansion on the theme. but i wish they had done more worlds to stretch the original content, because they had some fantastic ideas.

except for oil ocean act 2. ******** that level and all levels like it. stressed

i really hope more games take a cue from this team and get longtime fans to help with the creation of new games, but at the same time, i wonder if only a fandom as autistic uh, devoted as the sonic one could execute it this well.

how've you been?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm
Bulbadoof
Meta_Fish

i liked the mix of old stages and new stages, honestly. i loved how you revisited the original, got comfortable, and then saw their expansion on the theme. but i wish they had done more worlds to stretch the original content, because they had some fantastic ideas.

except for oil ocean act 2. ******** that level and all levels like it. stressed

i really hope more games take a cue from this team and get longtime fans to help with the creation of new games, but at the same time, i wonder if only a fandom as autistic uh, devoted as the sonic one could execute it this well.

how've you been?
I liked the mix too but the game really shines when you're playing all new content like Studiopolis or Mirage Saloon, imo. Everything in it is great but they nailed the feeling of a "new" "old" Sonic zone that I want to see more of them because a big part of the fun of old Sonic games is seeing just what the next zone will be like. They're never one-note like "desert world" or anything, either.

They really did the old stages well though. Mostly the first Act is getting you reacquainted with the theme while throwing in some new things and then the second part is all new stuff while so on the nose that it feels like it could have existed in the original version as well. Chemical Plant is an excellent example.

Oil Ocean Act 2 is kind of hard because it rushes you through it but your rings count down pretty slowly. I couldn't believe what the shield did in Oil Ocean too. The shield effects were another great thing!

I've been thinking the same thing about getting fans involved with making new games but not as many companies needed something like this like Sega did. I've seen a lot of chatter online about how Sega saw fangames and hired the fans to make a game whereas Nintendo shuts down fangames. But how many good Sonic games have we had since the Genesis? Since the Dreamcast, even? They just can't seem to get it right and if they do, they immediately ******** it up right after.

Mania banks heavily on nostalgia and references because a lot of the time, Sonic games don't reference some of that early stuff anymore. In his jump to 3D they lost the "feel" of the old Sonic games and have an entirely new feel. Mania scratches that 20 year old itch but most other franchises do that with each entry. I've tried to think of other IPs that would deserve a "Mania" like Sonic but I can't think of many. Kirby, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. all get good games pretty often that hit that nostalgia button for us.

I mean yeah, Mega Man, of course that would be nice. As I opened my Collector's Edition Mania box and marveled at my Sonic statue I imagined an alternate universe where it was "Mega Mania" and I got a giant statue of Mega Man instead. But 9 and 10 were pretty much "Mania" games as well.

I've been alright. Hbu?  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm
God, I need a platform to talk about video games on. Reddit and tumblr are toiletbowls of discussion.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:55 pm
Super Mario Maker was kind of a Mario Mania. Back to basic gameplay mechanics, huge involvement from fans, etc.

Megaman 9 and 10 were a good throwback, but Megaman X is the one that really needs an updated entry.  

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Bulbadoof

Grumpy Misfit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 pm
Meta_Fish
Bulbadoof
Meta_Fish

how've you been?
I liked the mix too but the game really shines when you're playing all new content like Studiopolis or Mirage Saloon, imo. Everything in it is great but they nailed the feeling of a "new" "old" Sonic zone that I want to see more of them because a big part of the fun of old Sonic games is seeing just what the next zone will be like. They're never one-note like "desert world" or anything, either.

They really did the old stages well though. Mostly the first Act is getting you reacquainted with the theme while throwing in some new things and then the second part is all new stuff while so on the nose that it feels like it could have existed in the original version as well. Chemical Plant is an excellent example.

Oil Ocean Act 2 is kind of hard because it rushes you through it but your rings count down pretty slowly. I couldn't believe what the shield did in Oil Ocean too. The shield effects were another great thing!

I've been thinking the same thing about getting fans involved with making new games but not as many companies needed something like this like Sega did. I've seen a lot of chatter online about how Sega saw fangames and hired the fans to make a game whereas Nintendo shuts down fangames. But how many good Sonic games have we had since the Genesis? Since the Dreamcast, even? They just can't seem to get it right and if they do, they immediately ******** it up right after.

Mania banks heavily on nostalgia and references because a lot of the time, Sonic games don't reference some of that early stuff anymore. In his jump to 3D they lost the "feel" of the old Sonic games and have an entirely new feel. Mania scratches that 20 year old itch but most other franchises do that with each entry. I've tried to think of other IPs that would deserve a "Mania" like Sonic but I can't think of many. Kirby, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. all get good games pretty often that hit that nostalgia button for us.

I mean yeah, Mega Man, of course that would be nice. As I opened my Collector's Edition Mania box and marveled at my Sonic statue I imagined an alternate universe where it was "Mega Mania" and I got a giant statue of Mega Man instead. But 9 and 10 were pretty much "Mania" games as well.

I've been alright. Hbu?
yeah, i agree; studiopolis especially blew my mind. i LOVED the boss that chased you; it fit so well that it made me wonder why you didn't see much of that in the old games. probably because everyone was a video game design noob back then.

nintendo's got it down, with the exception of ignoring the massive potential for a gyro-controlled pokemon snap revisit, but squeenix for example hasn't wholeheartedly delivered on their nostalgia potential in years. it's always soulless fanwanks for a quick buck. when i saw sonic mania, honestly, all i could think about was the graveyard of chrono franchise fan projects and how enthusiastically people would take to an FF tactics that united franchise favorites in the same zone-borrowing style. ooh, or what about a 16-bit ninja turtles beat-em-up? WITH local co-op, please and thank you. other franchises definitely aren't as desperate as sonic was for a hit like this, but there are lots of itchy fans out there.

i've been good! my sister moved out, so now i'm in charge of this house. she's due in 6 weeks and i can't talk her out of naming her next kid - presumably a girl - grayson. stare beyond that, i'm saving up for a puppy, learning a couple new instruments, and might have my mom move in so i can help take care of her. i would rather be back in london, but realistically i'm stuck here as long as my family needs me, so might as well make the most of it!  
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26205 26206 26207 26208 26209 26210 26211 26212 26213 26214 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games