Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Randomness is a Virtue!
LET'S REACH 800,000 POSTS [GUILD SPIRIT CAMPAIGN] READ&POST Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2727 2728 2729 2730 2731 2732 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you be active in this campaign?
ANYTHING FOR THIS GUILD!!
30%
 30%  [ 286 ]
NEVER!!! THIS IS DUMB.
3%
 3%  [ 34 ]
LET'S DO THIS THING!!!
35%
 35%  [ 336 ]
Wow...excitement much. Okay, I'll participate...but for goodness sakes your adrenaline is annoying!
29%
 29%  [ 278 ]
Total Votes : 934

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:43 pm
Queen Spazzy
Princess Zelda21
Welcome back Spazzy-chan! Where'd you go for your vacation?

Thank you, thank you!
I went with my beau and his parents up to New England. We stayed in Maine, just a few minutes of walking off the beach, and while I'm not generally one for beaches or water, it was absolutely lovely there.
We also visited Salem in Massachusetts, and stopped by Niagara Falls on our way home. (My mum was a bit jealous of my Niagara visit, it's apparently something she's always wanted to go see, so we're already making vague plans for some point in the future to go back with her.)

That's pretty neat! Bet your mom would be glad to see the Niagara Falls the next time you go traveling. ^_^*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm
~finally able to use my laptop after drawer been blocked~  

Speedira Windira

Mind-boggling Bookworm

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:32 am
delasislas
delasislas
I’m back!!!!
I’ve just been hiding.
I’ve come to notice how some people don’t really understand invasive species and the problems that can come from them...
I’ll work on writing something for it. maybe.

BTW I graduated with my AAS in March!!!!!!

I’m going to be looking for my citations, that is the major hard part.

Still working on it, just have had cat here for a few weeks and everytime I want to work on it, she wants attention and because she had been somewhat neglected in that area because my sister got an overly energetic dog, I’ve been trying to give her as much attention as possible.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 pm
Been relearning how GIS(Geographical Information Systems) work, basically a mapping program. However the way I was trained was on ArcGIS, which is really spendy, so I’m trying to learn QGIS, free and open source, but it is slightly harder to move around and use it.
My dad was talking about some properties that he had back where he grew up and was wanting to do some work on, so that they could be used later on when he retires, I ended up getting pretty interested in thinking about what could be done and my dad up and says, “If you want I can fly you out there for like two weeks so you can take a look at the property and check on the boundaries.”
Well, I don’t want to be rude, and free vacation.  

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:12 pm
So. Uhh. I just rescued a black widow spider without knowing it was a black widow.

I love to rescue spiders. But in NJ you get spiders of every sort, and I’ve seen a widow or two in my time living here. One was on the playground at an old pool I used to go to and my brothers and I booked it when we saw it. This one from tonight was small, black, with a long abdomen and a yellow hourglass shape on its abdomen–the marking of a male black widow spider. Obviously, black widows are black, but they have long abdomens and can have yellow/brown markings rather than the typical red people associate with them. Females usually have the red marks, males the more yellow/brown.

So yeah. I just rescued a potentially fatal spider without realizing it and now it's somewhere on my back porch and I'm totally not afraid.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 am
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
So. Uhh. I just rescued a black widow spider without knowing it was a black widow.

I love to rescue spiders. But in NJ you get spiders of every sort, and I’ve seen a widow or two in my time living here. One was on the playground at an old pool I used to go to and my brothers and I booked it when we saw it. This one from tonight was small, black, with a long abdomen and a yellow hourglass shape on its abdomen–the marking of a male black widow spider. Obviously, black widows are black, but they have long abdomens and can have yellow/brown markings rather than the typical red people associate with them. Females usually have the red marks, males the more yellow/brown.

So yeah. I just rescued a potentially fatal spider without realizing it and now it's somewhere on my back porch and I'm totally not afraid.

Oh my god. Lol. Like seriously, oh my god. rofl

I totally knew where you were going with that when you started talking about the yellow hourglass. I DID NOT KNOW THAT EITHER...until a few years ago when I was randomly reading about Black Widows. And on television, I always see them show the ones with the red hourglasses (females are more toxic? I don't remember)

Yeah, well, it looks like you did a good deed anyway! Luckily it didn't come back to bite you wink  

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:44 am
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

I totally knew where you were going with that when you started talking about the yellow hourglass. I DID NOT KNOW THAT EITHER...until a few years ago when I was randomly reading about Black Widows. And on television, I always see them show the ones with the red hourglasses (females are more toxic? I don't remember)

Yeah, well, it looks like you did a good deed anyway! Luckily it didn't come back to bite you wink

I can tell you they're called black widows because the females will eat the males after making babs.
(Though this isn't necessarily a regular occurrence.)
The females aren't necessarily more venomous so much as they have larger venom glands (thus, more propensity to do damage); though, allegedly, only the bites of the female are particularly dangerous to humans (but even then, most bites don't cause serious complications, or so I've read).
Widow spiders generally only bite in defense when they feel they can't escape, so as long as they're not unintentionally pinched or perhaps stepped on, there's little danger of being bitten, honestly (kind of like recluse spiders generally aren't dangerous unless you accidentally disturb them).
I've read a decent amount about spiders, well informed is better prepared and all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 am
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

I can tell you they're called black widows because the females will eat the males after making babs.
The females aren't necessarily more venomous so much as they have larger venom glands (thus, more propensity to do damage); though, allegedly, only the bites of the female are particularly dangerous to humans (but even then, most bites don't cause serious complications, or so I've read).
Widow spiders generally only bite in defense when they feel they can't escape, so as long as they're not unintentionally pinched or perhaps stepped on, there's little danger of being bitten, honestly (kind of like recluse spiders generally aren't dangerous unless you accidentally disturb them).
I've read a decent amount about spiders, well informed is better prepared and all.

Oh woah! I had no idea about that! I knew they were somewhat docile, but I didn't think it was just a defense mechanism for them to bite, I thought they just attacked for the hell of it. razz That's really cool. So I guess it was better to get it outside than try fighting it lol. I never kill spiders, they're precious beings which deserve lives so I just take them outside so they don't get hurt or killed by anybody in the house, and then they can keep living. But with something that dangerous... yikes you really have to wonder what to do. But if they really have no intentions of hurting anybody unless they attack then I guess rescuing them and taking them outside is just fine! biggrin It's definitely better to be prepared and informed about spiders, especially when so many people fear them but most are entirely harmless so there's no danger being near them.  

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Oh woah! I had no idea about that! I knew they were somewhat docile, but I didn't think it was just a defense mechanism for them to bite, I thought they just attacked for the hell of it. razz That's really cool. So I guess it was better to get it outside than try fighting it lol. I never kill spiders, they're precious beings which deserve lives so I just take them outside so they don't get hurt or killed by anybody in the house, and then they can keep living. But with something that dangerous... yikes you really have to wonder what to do. But if they really have no intentions of hurting anybody unless they attack then I guess rescuing them and taking them outside is just fine! biggrin It's definitely better to be prepared and informed about spiders, especially when so many people fear them but most are entirely harmless so there's no danger being near them.

Thank you for the information, Brandy. Yes, most spiders are harmless. Only a few certain species are dangerous to humans, and like Brandy said, harm to humans usually only occurs because they've been provoked. The Brown Recluse and Black Widow are the ones we commonly hear about in North America. However, there are a couple more aggressive species in other parts of the world, such as Australia. A lot of cases happen when, for instance, a spider is in a shoe that the human steps in. Obviously in that scenario the spider doesn't have much of a choice about how it reacts. Spiders often like secluded spaces and dwellings, so it's not a surprise they would seek comfort in people's clothes or shoes. Now, what you definitely don't ever want to *rescue* (though you probably wouldn't find this in your house unless you already owned one) is a venomous snake. In Florida, we have the rattlesnake. Always good to look where you're walking and be aware of any strange movements or sounds...of course...that goes for life. As Brandy said, better to be well informed and prepared.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:58 pm
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Thank you for the information, Brandy. Yes, most spiders are harmless. Only a few certain species are dangerous to humans, and like Brandy said, harm to humans usually only occurs because they've been provoked. The Brown Recluse and Black Widow are the ones we commonly hear about in North America. However, there are a couple more aggressive species in other parts of the world, such as Australia. A lot of cases happen when, for instance, a spider is in a shoe that the human steps in. Obviously in that scenario the spider doesn't have much of a choice about how it reacts. Spiders often like secluded spaces and dwellings, so it's not a surprise they would seek comfort in people's clothes or shoes. Now, what you definitely don't ever want to *rescue* (though you probably wouldn't find this in your house unless you already owned one) is a venomous snake. In Florida, we have the rattlesnake. Always good to look where you're walking and be aware of any strange movements or sounds...of course...that goes for life. As Brandy said, better to be well informed and prepared.

!!!!!! SNEKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though Florida is like the Australia of America with all the weird, deadly creatures you guys have... eek You must all be super metal as ******** or something for withstanding all the strange things that happen.

I've actually helped rescue several snakes where I live, though I doubt any of them were venomous. Most of the venomous ones are in the more mountainous regions of NJ, so mainly North Jersey. One time my little brother was at a boyscout camp in North Jersey and there was some sort of rattlesnake there, so everybody had to evacuate that site and the surrounding 3. Apparently that wasn't an uncommon occurrence, either, because there were velvet ants, too, which with 2 bites can kill you and one crawled up my brother's leg, and the entire place was ridden with deadly wildlife in general. Nobody ever went back there again. Plus the place let out air-raid sirens whenever anything dangerous happened which was quite frequent, so..... it kind of was like the apocalypse in the form of a campsite.

Here's a pic with me and a wild snake my dad and I found two years ago:

User Image

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 pm
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

!!!!!! SNEKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though Florida is like the Australia of America with all the weird, deadly creatures you guys have... eek You must all be super metal as ******** or something for withstanding all the strange things that happen.

I've actually helped rescue several snakes where I live, though I doubt any of them were venomous. Most of the venomous ones are in the more mountainous regions of NJ, so mainly North Jersey. One time my little brother was at a boyscout camp in North Jersey and there was some sort of rattlesnake there, so everybody had to evacuate that site and the surrounding 3. Apparently that wasn't an uncommon occurrence, either, because there were velvet ants, too, which with 2 bites can kill you and one crawled up my brother's leg, and the entire place was ridden with deadly wildlife in general. Nobody ever went back there again. Plus the place let out air-raid sirens whenever anything dangerous happened which was quite frequent, so..... it kind of was like the apocalypse in the form of a campsite.

Here's a pic with me and a wild snake my dad and I found two years ago:

User Image

Oh yes, we have just the right climate for all these creatures, humid and subtropical/tropical. Plus, lots of tourism and the everglades. Go there if you want to see the gators. And who can forget disease carrying mosquitoes...

And the weather changes on a dime. Yup, I've grown up with it, so I'm pretty used to it. Never been camping in the forest/wilderness, though.

Oh, I hate wasps...that's what velvet ants actually are, if you didn't know. But the female wasps are wingless. I got stung by a wasp when I was in first grade. Was running in the playground and slammed into one, so I suppose it considered me a threat and stung my finger.

That experience sounds very frightening! I would not have wanted to be there. rofl

I like that picture!! Do you know what snake species that was?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 pm
I went to the boardwalk and won a claw machine. Or two. Actually more like 8... sweatdrop

User Image

The arcade just gave me a gigantic bag and I kept putting all the stuffed animals inside it, then eventually the bottom split lol.  

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75

catt725

5,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm
It has been a super long time since I got on Gaia, think it was at least two years ago. Glad I kept mainly items and not a bunch of gold with the platinum switch.

Otherwise enjoyed a nice Texas night walk with my Australian cattle dog mix. Have tomorrow off so I may get back on to check things out a bit.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
I went to the boardwalk and won a claw machine. Or two. Actually more like 8... sweatdrop

User Image

The arcade just gave me a gigantic bag and I kept putting all the stuffed animals inside it, then eventually the bottom split lol.

I’ll take the pikachu as tribute.  

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm
HELLO  
Randomness is a Virtue!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2727 2728 2729 2730 2731 2732 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games