Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2753 2754 2755 2756 2757 2758 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 pm

I think the two series that really made me depressed/space out for a ridiculous amount of time were His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman [didn't see the movie The Golden Compass but the previews do the book no justice], and The Riddle-Master Trilogy by Patricia A. McKillip. Yup... Actually, I actually cried during the seventh book of Harry Potter, but it doesn't count. emo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:27 pm
I've cried through too many books to name. XD THe most I've cried through one series, though, has to be the Warriors books, by Erin Hunter. Mind you, there are about sixteen books in the series so far. More are on the way. razz  

waveh_xo

Tanakietsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:39 pm
It is my experience with reading fiction that leads me to believe that stories are much better when equipped without a happy ending.

Happy endings to me are bullocks.

Just bullocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:52 pm

While I like angsty endings, I feel totally angry... Like with Sara Douglass. I hate her. scream She is so mean to her characters [though I can't blame her for writing it; sometimes stories just tell themselves and authors just can't change it], and I hate her for it. But yeah... sweatdrop Anywho, I like the sadder ones, because they really make you think. biggrin

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100

The Many Voices

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:04 pm
lessee.....I cried when I thought Bruenor was guna die, and I cried when Sirius died, and I ALMOST cried when Doby died........

but other than that......not really................if Artemis Entreri ever dies I'll probably cry......  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 pm
I hate things that depress me. Hate, hate, hate them. Unless it has elements that keep me interested through the end. .Hack//SIGN, for example, had the mystery elements, a FANTASTIC score, cool characters that don't die, and beautiful art. Made me all emo and stole my creativity. sweatdrop  

Trowa The Fearless

Tanakietsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 pm
I find happy endings deplorable.

They seem too unrealistic towards reality.

People work through their problems, sure. But this rarely lets them lead happily ever afters.

Whenever I find myself actually plowing my way through a rough patch I find myself greeted with more (in quantity and severity) of its kind.

But, it works for some, as apparently it works for you Trowa, dear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:14 pm
But I think people don't read fiction for reality - they want a complete story, kind of like a movie. They want good characters, snappy plot, and a resolution at the end. And most people want happy endings. It's entertainment. *shrug*  

Cobalt

waveh_xo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:18 pm
I love Warriors because, sure there's a 'happy ending', but it doesn't last very long. You can tell, if you pay careful attention, that the characters are still suffering even though their story has been told and it is their descendants' story that is now the main plot; everyone's still involved and it's like this growing pile of history, including love and hate, prophecies and mysteries. So many myteries, it boggles my mind. XD

Anyways, I must be leaving now. -dramatic sigh- I'll be out most of tomorrow, so I'll try to reply early in the morning or late at night, teehee. G'night!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 pm
G'night waveh! :3

I have to say though, there are times when a non-happy ending is definitely for the best. *nodnod* Not everything can be happy - as much as fiction might be an escape from the "real world," it can't be too different, or it ceases to make a connection with readers.  

Cobalt

Trowa The Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:29 pm
I hated everything I tried to type here, so I gave up.

The general gist is this: I prefer getting away from sad by looking at happy. This didn't sound as naive in more words.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm
*smashes book-cases*

I miss my angel.

*builds a lego-city and proceeds to smash it with a large wooden hammer*

Tanakietsu

Trowa The Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 pm
Alright, it's about that time. I'm gonna go reply to Alwyn in PS, take my medicine, and hit the sack. Good-night!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 pm
Night.

Don't know why I bother posting these days...

?;

Tanakietsu

AlwynRowanwind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:41 pm
if you like unhappy books with no glimps of a happy ending then limony snicket is your guy.

ive only cried for hedwig, dobby, dumbledore and snape and collin creevy. tonks and lupin

the other book i cried for was called the devils arithmatic its a holocaust story really good i recommend.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2753 2754 2755 2756 2757 2758 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games