Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2770 2771 2772 2773 2774 2775 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Tanakietsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:33 pm
A sad statement in itself. : Literacy levels are going to the shitter can.

My brethren! Noooooo! *cries for the lost chickens at the hands of Cobalt*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 pm
I won't say I'm not lazy. Everyone knows I am.

Also, this sandwich is awesome. heart  

Trowa The Fearless

Disturbing Tale Teller

Fuzzy Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:39 pm
Nyaa...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:50 pm
Literacy has been on a steep decline in recent, but there are still the few.
Most people usurp other people's pictures due to the fact that they themselves can't draw. (I among them.) Things would be easier if there was an image generator for RolePlayers.

That's a great idea..!  

Jarrock Hellreave

Disturbing Tale Teller

Fuzzy Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:00 pm
Even if they can't draw, they can still do a text-based description. They don't have to use other peoples' pictures for their characters.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Hm... I really can't formulate an opinion on picture-using... While I understand and even kind of agree with all the reasons people have mentioned, I still use pictures, though I describe my characters anyway...

Also, literacy is sadly dying out. I can spell better than most people twice my age, and people in the same Honors English class as me are still terrible with grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. People are now focusing more on computers, and since Word corrects spelling, people don't really need to know how any more.

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100

Jarrock Hellreave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 pm
I didn't say it was an excuse to use the pictures - just saying why.

I usually use text-based descriptions anyway. But, I think the picture creator would be useful.

I myself am #1 in my grade for grammar... and I don't even consider myself a grammar freak.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:10 pm
Regardless, having a description placed onto a profile skeleton is crucial to character development. Pictures are nice, dandy, and are sometimes just what you've always wanted in a character. But even though it's your character, you need to live up to certain standards of reality. No physique is perfect, no complexion is spotless. Anime pictures, and I've even seen pictures of real people used as "appearances" are detrimental to full development of character depth. But hey, it's your characters, not mine. And such, I generally will not role play with someone who doesn't write out a description of their character.

I am picky. I am an absurd a** hole. I get it, but it's for everyone's own good if they take the time and really process through a character that might have a huge problem with freckles that's just priceless that you can't get in a picture. Why? There's not a lot of call for anime characters with freckles. A picture creator could be useful, but it would take so much time and so much space on a computer to do such, when it's just as descriptive to write it out.

As for spelling and literacy, it comes and goes. While instant messengers and text messaging have been detrimental to the practice of linguistics, I feel that it's all based on laziness and that "grab and go" lifestyle that the American culture has brought to the world. I sit down at cafes everyday here in Italy, and behold the fascination of people talking on cell phones rather than massacring their phones with busy body thumbs and text messages.

Whatever, it doesn't matter. You're entitled to your own picture posting, character recycled experience.

Tanakietsu

Jarrock Hellreave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm
You have a point there. I just hope that this problem goes sooner than it came.

As a note to descriptions, I like to think of RP's like writing a book - and written descriptions are better.

"A picture is worth a thousand words... but who really wants to read all that in one place?"  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm
Highly unlikely.

Tanakietsu

Jarrock Hellreave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:30 pm
All I can really say is that, there are three kinds of people: Those who can write, those who can't, and those who can but don't give a sh**. If only there was a way to increase the amount of the first kind.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:35 pm
I'm so glad I'm a writer. I can't imagine any other profession.

It makes me so happy.

Tanakietsu

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

So you actually live as a writer? No other job?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:42 pm
As I've said before, before I quit my job, I'd worked solely as a newspaper columnist. Then I moved cities after quitting my job and have been working on a novel and have been working on it (after not for like three years) since January.

Edit: I am still somewhat uncomfortable with the English language, it's my second language after all.

Tanakietsu

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 pm

English is your second language? Dear Kira, I never would have guessed. And know that I worship you for being a full time writer. And for being a full time writer whose second language is English even though it looks like it's your first.

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2770 2771 2772 2773 2774 2775 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games