Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out of the atheist closet. I need guidance. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:28 pm
Gradually. Gradually is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:15 pm
I'm actually going through the same thing and your situation sounds really similar to mine. Only, I'm fifteen and haven't been confirmed yet. I don't want to GET confirmed. o_o;;

I still have no idea how I'm going to handle the situation.

EDIT: And, of course, today it's brought up that I'm going to have to start going to the classes.

Pmyi

55may55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:56 pm
I really don't know if I can give you any really helpful advice, but I will say that even though you may think that keeping this from them will protect them, you have to remember that, because religion seems to be such a big part of your life, not explaining your position on God with your mother is misleading to her. On some levels is kind of like lying. Now if your really so unsure then I think you just have to tell her that you have these feeling and ideas about how the world works, and that no one can force you to feel what's not there. I mean I don't want to feel any pressure at all to follow the advice of some gaian stranger, I mean really who am I to you, no one. Just remember that to have secrets is to have fear of another discovering a part of you, you may not want revealed, and to have that fear can possibly distance you from others and end up hurting your relationship with your mother.......but, what do I know I'm only 16. Sorry I'm not much help. I hope all ends well for you. pirate  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:34 pm
I agree that secrets are far more trouble than they're worth.

It's the classical balancing game, though; which matters more to a person? The principles or the pocketbook. Do you want to honor your principles? If so, you better have a good pocketbook and/or a place to live ready to go (this was the path I took...it's not exactly easy). Do you value your home and current living situation over your pride? If so, play along/lay low until you can get out and be bold.  

Theophrastus

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces