Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Oh, my God!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:27 pm
Rusty Conscience
I use all of those. Well...minus the wierd "Godess" one...

I say "Oh my God" out of habit...and it's funny, because I live in a place that's ALL super religous Mormons, and they gape at me like I'm the devil. HA!

I use other curse words relating to religion, too. Except in school...*sigh* all of the teachers are Mormon, too.

"Bless You" is just manners. It has nothing to do with religion anymore. It doesn't even make any SENSE anymore. It was started back when getting the slightest cold could kill you. When somebody sneezed, there was a chance that they would get deathly ill and die. So, people would say "Bless You" as if saying "I hope you don't die!". Does that apply anymore? No. But it's become simply polite, whether you believe in god or not.

Heh, some of my co-workers go to say "bless you," when I sneeze but stop themselves. It's funny. Of course I don't care, but if someone sneezes around me I politely let them deal with it on their own - unless they need a tissue. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:04 pm
Theophrastus
Rusty Conscience

I say "Oh my God" out of habit...and it's funny, because I live in a place that's ALL super religous Mormons, and they gape at me like I'm the devil. HA!

I use other curse words relating to religion, too. Except in school...*sigh* all of the teachers are Mormon, too.

"Bless You" is just manners. It has nothing to do with religion anymore. It doesn't even make any SENSE anymore. It was started back when getting the slightest cold could kill you. When somebody sneezed, there was a chance that they would get deathly ill and die. So, people would say "Bless You" as if saying "I hope you don't die!". Does that apply anymore? No. But it's become simply polite, whether you believe in god or not.

Heh, some of my co-workers go to say "bless you," when I sneeze but stop themselves. It's funny. Of course I don't care, but if someone sneezes around me I politely let them deal with it on their own - unless they need a tissue. XD

Um...good for you? sweatdrop
I don't know...even though I'm not religous, I always appreciate it when people say "Bless you" when I sneeze. It shows that they care for my well being, I suppose?
I was having a conversation with another girl in my grade, and she agreed that when someone says "Bless You", you should really say "Thank you". It's manners, and some people rarely think of them anymore. I'm so glad that I was taught manners by my parents. I know this may sound bad, but when I meet people with no courtesy or manners, I really can't help but think less of them, and I really think you would agree. Polite people are easier to deal with in everyday situations.  

I Was The Moon

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 pm
Yeah, that's pretty much spot-on. I think that it would be foolish to judge someone based on one societally-enforced kneejerk reaction but, of course, I agree that life is just generally much better when all participants aren't being cold-hearted dicks. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:21 pm
Theophrastus
Yeah, that's pretty much spot-on. I think that it would be foolish to judge someone based on one societally-enforced kneejerk reaction but, of course, I agree that life is just generally much better when all participants aren't being cold-hearted dicks. XD

Finally, The Great Theophrastus agrees with me!

Don't shoot me for saying it, but HALELUJAH!

Goodness, it seems this is the first semi-non against Rusty post I've gotten out of you. wink  

I Was The Moon

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:10 am
I had a friend who said "oh my god" all the time. Back when I used to spend a lot of time with her, I picked it up from her. I never thought about the implications of the word "god" in the phrase until about two years later.

I don't say it much nowadays, nor do I say other phrases with "god" or "Jesus Christ". I don't swear a lot either, so I don't even say these words as part of swearing.

I don't mind when people say "bless you" when I sneeze, although I don't usually say it when other people sneeze.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:17 pm
I say 'oh my god' and 'jesus christ' all the time, I don't really mean anything by it. The problem is I tend to say stuff like 'lord kill me now' or 'heaven knows why I did this', which could be taken a little more seriously. I've tried stopping, but to no avail. I also tried to stop saying 'bless you', due to the fact that it is not only a Christian thing, but something from Medieval Times (people though when you sneezed, a demon came out or something).

What I don't get is why people think 'Oh my God' is more offensive than 'Holy cow'. One's taking the Lord's name in vain, sure. But the other one is from when people were worshipping that golden cow when they were in the desert with Moses and started losing faith. If you ask me, holy cow is worse.

Slimy Hats

Pmyi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:20 pm
I say "oh my God" and "God dammit" out of habit. I've been saying "oh my god" since fifth grade; I'm a creature of habit, and five years of saying it isn't going to make it easy for me to break the habit.

Occasionally, if I remember to, I say "oh your God!"

And, personally, I hate "oh my gosh." I really do. The word "gosh" just sounds so... insincere to me. I dunno. [shrug]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:57 pm
Theophrastus
Rusty Conscience

My dad actually doesn't say "God bless you" when I sneeze any more. I think it's partly a joke on his part...he's got a strange but sophisticated sense of humor. He's pretty much indifferent about my atheism, but it tends to make my mom uncomfortable when it comes up.

As for myself, "gesundheit" works just fine when I hear someone sneeze.  

ProjectOmicron88

Nyxelestia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:56 pm
I just say 'holy s**t'. XD

Anyway, when you sneeze your heart 'resets', really - that's why people say bless you...well, people who know me and know that, with them I just say 'Happy Birthday' because I'm weird like that. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 pm
Nyxelestia

Anyway, when you sneeze your heart 'resets', really - that's why people say bless you...well, people who know me and know that, with them I just say 'Happy Birthday' because I'm weird like that. biggrin

You, are a ******** genious. domokun  

AnonymouZ

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:48 pm
Nyxelestia

Actually, it was because, in the Dark Ages, people believed that when you sneezed, your soul exited your body.

At least, that's what I read. I did know about the heart-pausing thing, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 pm
I heard the same, PO88, so that means that when you make the invocation, God reaches down and stuffs your spirit back up your nose with his fingers. Thanks, G-man!  

Theophrastus

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:22 pm
AnonymouZ
Nyxelestia

You, are a ******** genious. domokun

I agree. I will totally say the "happy birthday" thing now. rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:20 pm
Theophrastus
I heard the same, PO88, so that means that when you make the invocation, God reaches down and stuffs your spirit back up your nose with his fingers. Thanks, G-man!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*straightens tie*  

ProjectOmicron88

Einsteinmc2300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:18 pm
Oh my science sounds ok i guess. lol i just learned of that saying in this thread! i should use that..... it makes sense for an atheist. i use oh my god sometimes but what i mean to say is oh my gosh. its all outa habit though for some reason ..... the most i say about god is "goddamit!" when i get pissed and also i say...... holy s**t once in a while or whatever but i try not ot say bless you because it isn't really a figure of speech or watever you just said earlier. it really is a christian and theist thingy so now im gona say oh my science instead of o my god lol it will sound so wierd because nooone in my school ever heard that before not even me! till like 5 minutes ago obviously though but thanks for the information people. i love physics but hate math so oh my science is PERFECT!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff