Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I hate youtube. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EmmaRaikou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:38 pm
I don't know which hurts me more: gnatural or that "comedian".

D;  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:23 pm
EmmaRaikou
I don't know which hurts me more: gnatural or that "comedian".

D;

I know what you mean.

See, there's a REASON George Carlin is revered as a comedy genius and this guy isn't.  

ProjectOmicron88

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:55 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
YOU WANNA PLAY ROUGH? OK!
Yea, you already pointed that out, and I pointed out why I think that isn't the goal of science.
SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

Then what is "the goal of science?"  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:03 pm
To understand the universe, not to understand the universe while keeping a mentality that a perfect understanding is impossible. So, are you ready to show me specifics as to why evolutionary theory isn't perfect?

Baron von Turkeypants

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:15 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
To understand the universe, not to understand the universe while keeping a mentality that a perfect understanding is impossible. So, are you ready to show me specifics as to why evolutionary theory isn't perfect?

You're missing the point if you want specifics. We're a long way from understanding anything of this magnitude perfectly. If we eventually do, then it's within our ability to recognize that from lack of new evidence.

As it stands, however, you sound as if you want us to simply sit content with what we do know. I'm not saying evolution as a whole is wrong. It's the only answer we have that makes sense, and it has quite a lot of evidence behind it. Nevertheless, if we follow your way of thinking, if we do discover something which would change a portion of it, we would simply disregard that.

Perhaps, much as Galileo was disregarded for his heliocentric ideas? As Columbus was disregarded for believing the rounded form of the earth? As Darwin was disregarded for even labeling the theory of natural selection in the first place?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:38 pm
I would help but there is no point in getting into arguments with people in Youtube's comment box.

As for what everyone is talking about, as far as I know Theory is not fact. There are many Theories but very few Laws(when it comes to science).

The only thing that comes close to the the idea of Fact is Law.

But, Theories at least have more going for them then educated guesses, or what-ifs. They are past the stage of hypothesis because they are in the process of being tested and retested or at least in a stage where evidence is beginning to be gathered. Some things remain theories because there is no way to create an infallible test to prove or disprove something. There can be mounts of evidence to support a theory, and it can never become a law.

You can test Gravity, but you can't exactly test a theory on how Dinosaurs went extinct. You can only look at the clues, put together a very educated guess, and put it out there for paleontologists to pick apart.

That is all I really have to say on this subject matter.

Sanguvixen

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Baron von Turkeypants

You're missing the point if you want specifics. We're a long way from understanding anything of this magnitude perfectly. If we eventually do, then it's within our ability to recognize that from lack of new evidence.
As it stands, however, you sound as if you want us to simply sit content with what we do know. I'm not saying evolution as a whole is wrong. It's the only answer we have that makes sense, and it has quite a lot of evidence behind it. Nevertheless, if we follow your way of thinking, if we do discover something which would change a portion of it, we would simply disregard that.
Perhaps, much as Galileo was disregarded for his heliocentric ideas? As Columbus was disregarded for believing the rounded form of the earth? As Darwin was disregarded for even labeling the theory of natural selection in the first place?
Once again you misquote me. I've already stated that when it comes to specifics, we don't know everything. And I've already showed how disregarding valuable information is a part of your view, not mine. So your default position is to say something isn't perfect if it doesn't explain everything; so I've asked you for an example of something evolutionary theory doesn't explain, and you've failed to provide. My position is that if there's nothing it doesn't explain, and it's the best theory out there, the theory is perfect as far as I'm concerned, and can be made better. But it seems to me you don't want to believe that I'm open to new information, so you make a straw man.

If you're not going to show me, specifically, why evolutionary theory isn't perfect, and are only going to resort to generalities and philosophical positions, this conversation is over.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:22 am
Perhaps because I'm scientist.

My apologies for this argument. I misunderstood your position.
However, I do not withdraw that it is unwise to claim any view as perfect, religious or scientific.
And understand too, I offered you no evidence of my argument because I was asking you what you would do if such evidence were presented. (A question, I might add, I would still like to have directly answered.)  

Tenth Speed Writer

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 am

Quote:

Perhaps because I'm scientist.
And so, by default, the implication is that you're representative of the scientific worldview.

Perhaps you would see if you could present such evidence. It seems to me that would be the most scientific way to find out what you wanted to know, but what the hell do I know about science. You're the scientist, amirite?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm
Perfection? Philosophy is thattaway. *points to the Random Sub-forum*

This topic's been really derailed, so TSW and BVTP, please pursue this issue (which is a completely valid discussion) elsewhere, by creating a topic in the Random Sub-Forum. Thank you.

As for the original video and topic, I'm very reluctant to get into back-and-forths on YouTube. I much prefer face-to-face debate where people can't skip over challenges and ignore points. Passive debate in anything but text is a dangerous creature.  

Theophrastus

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:15 pm
Sorry Theo, our argument was over until you brought it up again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:18 pm
Shame on me for not being here on the weekend.

Where I spend time with my girlfriend.

And relax.

XD  

Theophrastus

EinEinziger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:52 am
Theophrastus

And relax.

XD

Pics or it didn't happen. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 am
Johnny-Xavier
Theophrastus

And relax.

XD

Haha, fine. Go to my profile and see whose name is a clickable link, listed as my girlfriend. :p  

Theophrastus

EinEinziger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:58 am
Theophrastus
Johnny-Xavier
Theophrastus

And relax.

XD

Haha, fine. Go to my profile and see whose name is a clickable link, listed as my girlfriend. :p

neutral Damnit. You win this time.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces