Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Children and Politics? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teenagers...
  are hardly able to think on their own.
  do have a mind of their own, but most don't show it well.
  don't want to agree with their parents on anything, so they don't, hence their "political stances."
  shouldn't be concerned about politics.
View Results

Maggie239

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:33 am
My whole family is Republican but I debate with my dad about some things though usually he doesn't know much about the given topic. I debate with my mom about politics in general. So I don't agree with my parents about everything.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:14 pm
*cherry*

I am mostly a Conservative Republican. My dad and I are the same, but he is very very very conservative while I have adapted to life now. He absolutely dislikes the librels and so do me and my mom. To us, they are all idiots and hypocrites. I can handle some democrats but despise Obama and can't wait till he is out of office.

cherrydarlin999

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Interesting that you generalized a whole group into being "hypocrites", yet you hate when they generalize conservatives... and you don't call yourself the hypocrite.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 pm
Rainbowfied Mouse
Interesting that you generalized a whole group into being "hypocrites", yet you hate when they generalize conservatives... and you don't call yourself the hypocrite.

Pwnt.  

DanskiWolf

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:31 pm
Quote:
yet you hate when they generalize conservatives.

I don't believe she raised that particular complaint in that post Mouse. You might want to provide some reference as to what you are citing here.

But all told, yes, it's wrong to generalize about broad swaths of the political spectrum.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 pm
Lord Bitememan
Quote:
yet you hate when they generalize conservatives.

I don't believe she raised that particular complaint in that post Mouse. You might want to provide some reference as to what you are citing here.

But all told, yes, it's wrong to generalize about broad swaths of the political spectrum.

I wasn't trying to generalzie them, but from my experiance, the Librels I met (friends, classmates, politians etc,.) have turned out to hypocrites most of the time.  

cherrydarlin999

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:39 pm
Quote:

I wasn't trying to generalzie them, but from my experiance, the Librels I met (friends, classmates, politians etc,.) have turned out to hypocrites most of the time.

There's plenty of conservative hypocrites too. Don't think it is simply a liberal affliction. Mark Sanford, for example, called on Clinton to resign after the revelation of his infidelity, and years later Sanford himself is clinging to office after having a sex scandal revealed. Hypocrisy in and of itself is not a valid attack. The inability to comply with one's own standards, though, can suggest an inherent infeasibility of the standard. It's better to focus on that than the person.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:50 pm
Lord Bitememan
Quote:

There's plenty of conservative hypocrites too. Don't think it is simply a liberal affliction. Mark Sanford, for example, called on Clinton to resign after the revelation of his infidelity, and years later Sanford himself is clinging to office after having a sex scandal revealed. Hypocrisy in and of itself is not a valid attack. The inability to comply with one's own standards, though, can suggest an inherent infeasibility of the standard. It's better to focus on that than the person.

I agree with you there. He is a hypocrite. But I'm just saying that the Librels I've met have been hypocrties. I mean, there could be plenty of hypocrite conservatives out there and there could be many librels who actually stick to their beliefs. I just han't met any. I just should have changed my wording in the first post.  

cherrydarlin999

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:22 pm
Well, how did they turn out to be hypocrites? Sometimes that's as important to consider as any other factor. What belief did they betray in front of you?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 am
Lord Bitememan
Well, how did they turn out to be hypocrites? Sometimes that's as important to consider as any other factor. What belief did they betray in front of you?

Well, mostly abortion. One day they would be for it, next day they would be against it. And anything I would say they would say I was wrong. It was strange. Then my Librel uncle said that homosexuality was ok, and his son came out, he shut him out of the family. So...that's a few hypocrites I've met.  

cherrydarlin999

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:56 am
cherrydarlin999
Well, mostly abortion. One day they would be for it, next day they would be against it.

Abortion is a tough issue, which is why it's so controversial. People can have a persistent ideal that can be messed with by reality.

Quote:
Then my Librel uncle said that homosexuality was ok, and his son came out, he shut him out of the family.

Ever consider that it may have been for protection? My family still sees me, I'm not shut out, but I can't openly discuss my sexuality to older generations, and conservative members of the family.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 pm
Quote:
Well, mostly abortion. One day they would be for it, next day they would be against it. And anything I would say they would say I was wrong. It was strange. Then my Librel uncle said that homosexuality was ok, and his son came out, he shut him out of the family. So...that's a few hypocrites I've met.

It sounds to me like your experiences with liberals are shaped mainly by experiences with liberal family members? In that respect, it might be that you externalize a frustration with family members (who might marginalize you due to your being in a lower status age set) with liberalism in general. It doesn't aid you to base opinions of politics and a world view based on the people that maintain it. You should seek to ground yourself in a world view and then see how policies advance or set back that view irrespective of the individual advocates. It will make you more informed overall and next time someone asks about your politics you can come up with specific policy attacks.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

xxKellieUriexx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 am
I'm only 13 and I understand most of the issues and watch Glenn Beck whenever my parents do, so.. yeah.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:53 pm
Im 13 with democratic parents. I love Glenn beck and Limbaugh, and i went to two tea parties. we teenagers hav very political minds  

Longshot CS-6

The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces