Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:23 am
I like baby cows. I've bottle fed and petted them. They're cute.

They also taste absolutely fabulous with Parmesan.

The way I look at it is...if I wanted to feel morally obligated to live my life a certain way, I'd be christian. Unless meat is made illegal, I'll continue to eat it for the rest of my life.

Besides, I feel like I'm being physically deprived of nourishment if I don't eat meat once a day. Something as simple as a slice of turkey on a sandwich is enough.

I get hungry quicker too after eating a meat free meal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:31 pm
Lee Retalis
Lunar Falcon
Lee Retalis

The carnivorous animals are just that. Carnivores. They absolutely CANNOT survive on plant matter. Their bodies are unable to digest it. They have no choice.

But there are just as many omnivores who can and will eat meat at any opportunity. Bears, dogs, pigs, primates, to name a few. And in my earlier post I also gave an article on carnivorous deer.

I don't believe they really understand how to be any other way. Besides, if I'm not going to try and force other people to follow my morals, why would I force other animals? This is simply what I believe.
Should we eat other animals because the carnivores/omnivores do it? Why is that a valid reason to do anything? It's almost like the "natural" arguement. Various animals have been known to eat their young on occasion, kill eachother over territory, etc. Should we do all that stuff, too?

We do, actually.
Well... except the eat our young bit. Most of us don't do that.
But we do kill each other over territory. It's called 'war'.

Xiporah
I like baby cows. I've bottle fed and petted them. They're cute.

They also taste absolutely fabulous with Parmesan.

That's pretty much amazing.
/sigged

Superior Jazz

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:28 pm
I consider myself an carnivore with practically no herbivorous tendencies. I don't like vegetables. Except carrots. I couldn't live without meat, or at least not in any way I want to. I'm sorry, but we were not build to be herbivores.

Anyways, Sanguvixen's explanation on pg.1 is awesome, and you gain +5 internets for saying it, cause it's true.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:44 pm
Go for it. I was vegetarian for a year, but my thyroid condition makes me need protein. I only eat meat because I have a mountain of obscure health conditions. I still try to eat just organic meat. It's all around better. There's nothing wrong with vegetarianism, I don't get why your dad would be upset, but I know that it somehow offends people. Good luck, and do whatever you think is right.  

Koravin

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 pm
I'm going to become a vegatarian when I get a real job in the real world. My reasons are pretty simple. 1) Like you don't enjoy the idea of animals dying just because I like they way they taste when I have other options. Now, I know I know, it's natural to eat meat, and blah blah blah, but I'm just to sympathetic to pain and suffering to get past it, animals also throw s**t, rape, kill each other, and have sex with their family. I think it's safe to say that just because it happens in nature doesn't mean we should all do it. 2) Because I feel that one can reach better level of health without meat. And 3) ...... I just listing things in three. sweatdrop The only reason why I'm not one now, is because I'm poor. Meat is cheap and abundant, so until my career begins, it's MacDonalds for me. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:28 pm
I've been a vegetarian for all of my teenage life now. 3nodding

And I'm glad I am.

I still eat fish on occasion, but very rarely.

If you decide on becoming a vegetarian, make sure you take a vitamin, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, as well as carbs. A lot of vegetarians substitute their meat with junk food and carbs. Dx; But you have to eat a balanced meal of what you can eat.

Yeah.

Zealous Blue

Pheranya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:16 am
.: [ My friend became a vegetarian back in September. She seems to be doing just fine.

I don't see the point in becoming a vegetarian. I myself only eat bacon and no other meats. But I like bacon, so I'm not cutting it out xD
] :.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:55 pm
some people might have already said this, but in case they haven't then I'm going to piss off ALOT of people. BUT, I don't think that you should become vegetarian, if you just think that killing cows is a bad thing. What about all of the processed vegetables and fruits? A song called Disgustipated by Tool, made me realize that that carrot your eating at your computer had a life. The chorus of that song said "Life feeds on life feeds on life..." Just think about that before you make your decision. wink Unfortunately, scientists haven't made food out of rocks yet, so we'll just have to live by Maynard's words!  

Pet Of Cinix

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 pm
MiniMink
some people might have already said this, but in case they haven't then I'm going to piss off ALOT of people. BUT, I don't think that you should become vegetarian, if you just think that killing cows is a bad thing. What about all of the processed vegetables and fruits? A song called Disgustipated by Tool, made me realize that that carrot your eating at your computer had a life. The chorus of that song said "Life feeds on life feeds on life..." Just think about that before you make your decision. wink Unfortunately, scientists haven't made food out of rocks yet, so we'll just have to live by Maynard's words!

I agree that plants are alive, but they don't have brains nor feel pain. And in fact, most plants make fruit to be eaten. That's how they spread seeds. Animals don't want to be eaten. They spend every waking moment running from or defending themselves from being eaten. True, some plants do the same, but I'm pretty sure that those aren't the ones we eat. I mean, I get where you're comming from, but (forgive the pun) I tink you're comparing apple to oranges.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 pm
Personally, I find vegetables to be easy and cheap. I'm eating a really cheap meal that I can probably make again tomorrow and saturday. It's got some cheap Ragu sauce, mushrooms and some pasta. I also love zuccini cause its good cooked either steamed, grilled, baked whatever. Vegetables are a fantastic staple, but I have to admit, a good burger every now and then tastes divine. Too bad meat is expensive... T___T  

PickleBoy

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 am
PickleBoy
Personally, I find vegetables to be easy and cheap. I'm eating a really cheap meal that I can probably make again tomorrow and saturday. It's got some cheap Ragu sauce, mushrooms and some pasta. I also love zuccini cause its good cooked either steamed, grilled, baked whatever. Vegetables are a fantastic staple, but I have to admit, a good burger every now and then tastes divine. Too bad meat is expensive... T___T

Really? I having the exact opposite problem. Every kind of vegetarian dish I like is really expensive, but meat is cheap. Maybe it depends on where you live? *Comes to live with you.* mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:06 pm
I did not climb to the top of the f*cking food chain to eat carrots. I'm a human being, and I eat meat like any self-respecting human should. It has proteins that you can't find in vegetables. If you want to be healthy, don't give in the the vegetarian lifestyle. You need a well rounded diet and vegetarianism doesn't cut it.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:45 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I did not climb to the top of the f*cking food chain to eat carrots. I'm a human being, and I eat meat like any self-respecting human should. It has proteins that you can't find in vegetables. If you want to be healthy, don't give in the the vegetarian lifestyle. You need a well rounded diet and vegetarianism doesn't cut it.

User Image
*@ food chain comment.* But that's not completely true. I remember in my Health Science class (which by the way is a huge waste of time if an exersize class is already in your core) that there are different kinds of proteins, but that it doesn't matter what kind you eat so long as you eat enough. That's why if you read a vegetarian cook book, you'll notice they use a lot of beans. This is because beans are a good source of protein, and plant proteins, like plant fats, are much healthier for you. But I guess you have to eat a LOT of bean to match the amount of protein that you would find in a burger. confused Which kind of sucks.

Oh, if you like burger like I do, check out this thread I made in this guild a while ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 pm
Heh, I remember that post...

And no one is telling you to eat a carrot. They want you to eat organic bok choy. Get it right, Sailor, or theres gonna be a beat down. Thats right, I'm looking at you.

And what kind of house husband would I be if I didn't cook for you Kharybuce?  

PickleBoy

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 pm
Yikes... I can see I'm gonna be an odd one out in this guild. Not that it's anything new...

I'm a vegetarian, and I have been for.... almost five years, now. I don't find it difficult and it suits me very well. I think it's made me eat slightly healthier, although, as someone already explained, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean eating healthy.

I'm ashamed to admit it... but it was PETA that converted me with their flier. I've learned more about them now, and I'm disgusted that I was swayed by the, I've since learned that there are better reasons to be vegetarian than PETA's gory emotional appeals and that it's better to live my life as I choose and let others lives theirs. (ie: Don't shove your morals down other peoples' throats.)

JadeDragonSoul
As Zambimaru said, eating meat is a natural part of life. There is nothing wrong with eating what our bodies need. You say that there is no need, but in what sense? Meat is an integral part of the human diet. Sure, it sounds fancy and makes you look intellectual, but there will always be another person to eat the meat you don't!

Your fallacy. Let me show you it.

You've just made the Naturalistic Fallacy.

Just because something is natural does not make it right, or better. Furthermore, "natural" is debatable.

Les Adieux
...I have been sick with a fever for the past two days, but I don't particularly feel bad. My only guess is that it is from protein loss, as I can't have it in every meal, especially at school. I've been very tired, and I've fallen asleep in class....

You might have gotten sick because you didn't eat meat, but there might have been another cause.

However... if you feel that becoming a vegetarian is too complicated and that it's just not right for you right now, don't do it.

Xiporah

The way I look at it is...if I wanted to feel morally obligated to live my life a certain way, I'd be christian.

You can feel morally obligated to live a certain way without being a Christian. You can even feel that way without any religion at all, as members of this guild know. I feel morally obligated to behave in all kinds of ways because I care about the well being of others.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff