A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Other Genres
A Series of Unfortunate Events Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?
  Of course!
  Are they good? I don't know...
  Nah, they look stupid.
View Results

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 am
I got the books from my aunt, then let them sit on my shelf for two years. Finally, christmas eve, I got out the 1st, and started reading it. I got through them pretty quickly, And now I'm done. I kinda wish that there were more books about the Baudelaires (yeah I know, 13 wasn't enough rolleyes ).
Did you know that Lemony Snicket has another book out? It's an anthology of poems. I think the title has something to do with horseradish...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:04 am
Yeah, I've heard of it. I was going to get it, but I don't remember why I didn't....... xd  

penandpaper67
Captain

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:04 pm
I don't particularly like poetry, but it's probably good... I'll get it from the library one of these days...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:44 pm
There's also The Beatrice Letters, which I've considered reading, but there's never a copy at my library.

The books are amazing. I'm not sure if I like the series' ending, but looking back I can't imagine any conclusion that would be completely satisfying. It just feels like they killed off too many good characters in the last few books.  

-Pacis Nex-

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 pm
I got the Beatrice Letters. It's frustrating, that just when I have everything understood, They go and change it on me xp

Who here isn't done the series? I'd like to discuss some points that I didn't get, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:51 pm
June Chipmunk
I got the Beatrice Letters. It's frustrating, that just when I have everything understood, They go and change it on me xp

Who here isn't done the series? I'd like to discuss some points that I didn't get, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone biggrin

I'm done with the series, but you can add a spoiler warning or put the text in white. That way, those who have finished the series can read it, but those who haven't don't have to.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:59 pm
Cool, I should have thought of that...
so then, from reading the Beatrice Letters, There are multiple Beatrices. Who's who? There's one that Mr.Snicket is writting to, and there's one that's writing to Mr.Snicket. who's who?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:06 pm
June Chipmunk
Cool, I should have thought of that...
so then, from reading the Beatrice Letters, There are multiple Beatrices. Who's who? There's one that Mr.Snicket is writting to, and there's one that's writing to Mr.Snicket. who's who?

Spoilers:
The one Mr. Snicket is writing to is the Baudelaires mother. The other one is Kit Snicket's daughter, who was presumably raised by the Baudelaires and somehow lost contact with them.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm
wahmbulance Spoilers! wahmbulance
Ok... I wasn't sure. And at some points, the Baudelaire's mother (from what Mr. Snicket said) sounds like a child, but at other times, she sound likes an adult. It might be just me, though...)

Also, Has anyone seen who the people with the abriviated names are (In the Unauthorized Autobiography)?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm
June Chipmunk
wahmbulance Spoilers! wahmbulance
Ok... I wasn't sure. And at some points, the Baudelaire's mother (from what Mr. Snicket said) sounds like a child, but at other times, she sound likes an adult. It might be just me, though...)

Also, Has anyone seen who the people with the abriviated names are (In the Unauthorized Autobiography)?

Spoilers:
It sounds like a child sometimes because at that time, both Lemony and Beatrice were children (or disguised as children stare ). And there are many possiblities (most of them are obvious) for the names. Like O is Olaf and E is Esme, etc., but not all of them are clear. Especially J......  

penandpaper67
Captain

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:46 pm
Spoiler-ness!
Hmm... i'll have to go look at UA first, then get back to you. I think i had (at one point) 6 or 7 of them...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:25 pm
Go spoilers!! xd  

seleneswan

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 pm
seleneswan
Go spoilers!! xd

I'm sorry, but if you're not going to say anything worthwhile, please do not post. It doesn't pertain to the topic and it clutters the thread. But please feel free to put something of value in your posts. I'm not trying to sound mean, I just don't want to distract from the topic. If you feel like posting stuff like that, put it in the chatterbox. Wow, that got really long.... xp  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 am
Yes, I have read all 13 Series of Unfortunate Events books. It's been a while, though.

SPOILERS!!!

I love all of the books... until book 13. Man, was that a pathetic ending! Lemony Snicket must've got lazy or some thing. Most of the characters either died in a fire, or died from poison. And then there's the Baudelaire orphans who end up staying on the island for the longest time with tha baby and they find out more about their parents. Yeah, but we never get to find out much about the Baudelaire parents.

Other then the horrible ending, I love the series!

I'd have to say that the movie was pretty bad. They took 3 of the books and mixed up the order plus added some extra stuff.

Oh well, as I always say, books are better then the movies! (Most of the time) biggrin  

Collote
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:09 pm
Collote
Yes, I have read all 13 Series of Unfortunate Events books. It's been a while, though.

SPOILERS!!!

I love all of the books... until book 13. Man, was that a pathetic ending! Lemony Snicket must've got lazy or some thing. Most of the characters either died in a fire, or died from poison. And then there's the Baudelaire orphans who end up staying on the island for the longest time with tha baby and they find out more about their parents. Yeah, but we never get to find out much about the Baudelaire parents.

Other then the horrible ending, I love the series!

I'd have to say that the movie was pretty bad. They took 3 of the books and mixed up the order plus added some extra stuff.

Oh well, as I always say, books are better then the movies! (Most of the time) biggrin

Personally, I thought the ending was fairly good. I mean, you knew he wasn't going to solve all of the mysteries for you. And I think that any series such as that will have an ending that isn't up to its readers' expectations (Harry Potter). But I do agree with you about the movie. It was horrifyingly horrible. domokun  
Other Genres

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff