Total Votes : 38

Mishi Love

Benevolent Loiterer

10,275 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 am
I got a book from the library that someone had penciled in words they didn't understand at the beginnings of each chapter. With little question marks next to the words on the actual pages, I'm assuming so they could check the context. Least they could have done was erase their notes!

Also hate finding a book someone has spilled food on or god knows what else. *shudder* sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 am
Things of that nature have happened when I let people borrow things out of my own personnal collection. That really makes me mad. Also, there have been instances where I have never gotten books back, which really makes me mad. I don't mind with close friends, because I know in instances as Tabitha borrowing my books, she is reading them and enjoying them. But when it is people I know are not reading them, or point blank refuse to put forth the effort to return my books, it is incredibly rediculous and a cause for anger.  

dstnyisurs

Wendy Day

Distrustful Detective

6,175 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 am
Sorry if any one is ofended by my saying someone is evil, but i do feal strongly about books (and for a few monthes that was my favorite word).  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:07 am
Wendy Day
I regularly go to the library and check out a ton of books (I go thrugh them so fast) and the last time I went I just got so mad, I always save my favorite book to read last and I started to read, but it seemed odd like the book was skiping around so I went back to see if I had missed any thing, and some one had carfully torn out a few importent pages so that if you where just fliping thrugh the book you wouldn't notice! I am SO MAD!!! crying
Has this (or any thing simular) ever happend to you?

I can honestly say, no. People around here are too busy with their own affairs to really think about doing that. Strangly enough, for the things that get destroyed around here I don't think books are one of them; poeple take good care of them, even if they're rough. I guess subconsciously they value their literacy. neutral  

lakita_phoenix

Sapphire7782

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:43 pm
I've got a weird one: I was browsing a few books at the library, kind of skim-reading them to see if they grabbed me, when one sounded COMPLETELY different to what the blurb had said. Curious, I flipped to the blurb again - maybe it wasn't a blurb but a review of a previous book by the same author - and noticed that the dust jacket seemed a little oversized...

Turned out someone had gone and switched dust jackets on two books! I mean, wtf? Imagine if you were looking for that book in a hurry, and saw the spine, grabbed it, borrowed it, got home...and found an entirely different story inside.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:03 pm
i'd say it was an evil library...or an evil book; either way my enjoyment of it would have been ruined like Aztec temples
still there but old and forgotten and unused talk2hand  

lakita_phoenix

WolfTeeth-x

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:56 pm
Nothing like that has happened to me. But, if I have a book out someone might insult it and call it stupid and pointless.
stare  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:15 pm
burning books. i hate it with a passion as hot as the fire that consumes them. they burn books in the movie "the day after tomorrow" and when i saw that i wanted to scream and destroy the movie, the only reason they did that tho was because it was the only way to stay alive. one of my friends and i are constantly arguing abt it, he hates books, he always has to bend the pages or scribble on the coves with sharpies, he says he can't stand to see them all neat and pretty, it drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

AmenthystMoon

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm
AmenthystMoon
burning books. i hate it with a passion as hot as the fire that consumes them. they burn books in the movie "the day after tomorrow" and when i saw that i wanted to scream and destroy the movie, the only reason they did that tho was because it was the only way to stay alive. one of my friends and i are constantly arguing abt it, he hates books, he always has to bend the pages or scribble on the coves with sharpies, he says he can't stand to see them all neat and pretty, it drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burning books in general makes me sick. And that's horrible (what your friend does)!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:32 pm
If you think that is evil, try working in the children's area at the library. I think some people check out books to use as dog toys and potty cleaners. gonk  

ScaryMissKari

Space Spook

liminal-realities

7,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Eeep!
Why did I enter this terrible thread?!?

The Bible being torn up was the worst thing I read.
I'm a Catholic, and I seriously cringed as I read that. It was completely disrespectful and... words I can't use on here,
for them to have done that to something so many
people believe to be sacred and so special.

I read Fahrenheit 451, which is about a man in the future
who works as a fireman - but not a put-out-the-housefire
fireman, the burn-libraries-to-the-ground-because-they-make-you-think-outside-the-box
fireman.
...I shudder at the thought.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:09 pm
My little cousin use to tear out the last few pages in the book and give the book to me saying "Read this, it's a good book." I'd be totaly into it and then, right at the exciting end: "NUUUUUUU!!!!!"  

Angel_Child_Of_Grace

Fullmoon03

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:12 pm
I hate it when you find food stains or boogers in books, it just ruins everything because you want to quickly read the page to avoid looking at the darn stain, and basically may miss out on some important details of the story you're reading.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm
Fullmoon03
I hate it when you find food stains or boogers in books, it just ruins everything because you want to quickly read the page to avoid looking at the darn stain, and basically may miss out on some important details of the story you're reading.

That bugs me too. I mean, if it's a library book, people should be more careful around it since it doesn't belong to them. I understand an accident once in a while, but you find stuff like that in almost every library book, which indicates that people really don't respect the books.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Ismira87

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Audini
Since I volunteer at the library near my house, I know exactly what all of you are talking about. It makes me so mad when someone messes up a book. It drives me crazy when there are stains all over the pages too. mad

You know what's sadder though? Once books aren't popular enough or are scribbled in (yes, some idiots actually write in books they don't own) the librarians have to destroy them. This process involves taking off all library stickers (so people can't go to the dumpsters, take the books out and turn them back into the library. Other people aren't fond of this process either...) and then crying tearing pages out and crying tearing off the cover if it's a paperback. Isn't that awful!!! Here I am, nearly crying just thinking about it.

Okay, so that turned into a bit of a rant, but I think it acuratly states how I feel...

Day: 7 Contest: 16

I totally agree... that is just wrong. I love books and it's stupid that people do this and the libraries are forced to destroy those books!  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff