Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Sichuan Earthquake - 四川大地震! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 am
That's.. rather insane.. @__@;;

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 pm
There's also a strange aura atop of Si Chuan 10 minutes before the earthquake.  

Etaf Evael

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:09 pm
Both the article about the toads and the YouTube video regarding the aura were very interesting. Following the initial shock and grief at the people killed in the earthquake, it seems that there has been growing anger towards the government and authorities that could have helped predict the earthquake and possibly reduce casualties.

From allegedly poorly built schools to ignored animal behaviour prior to the quake; I have to wonder whether the government really was negligent or had any part to play which may have contributed to the death toll...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 pm
With all the anti-china campaigns, pro-tibet protests, I wonder if HAARP has anything to do with the earthquake.  

Etaf Evael

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:16 am
Despite all that negativity, there's no doubt that the government has responded immediately and efficiently to the aftermaths. It's also quite good to see all the celebrities and international groups helping out as well. I think they've launched this thing called "green ribbon" dedicated tot he cause of raising money for the earthquake victims left desolate.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:09 am
Negativity from who? The Chinese who were affected by the earthquake? Or other sources?

As for HAARP involvement, I could go with the idea. For now it seems to be more of a conspiracy theory. I certainly hope those 'auras' are natural and can't be manipulated. I hate to imagine what it means if they aren't...

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Hmm, that aura looks suspiciously like an Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights. I know you usually only see them in Canada, Russia and Scandinavia, but maybe this is one time when the effects of the Aurorae are felt further south.

Similar omens have been recorded before previous major disasters. Of course, I'm not saying that this was a message from heaven or something to punish the Chinese people.

In any case, China's government wasn't the only one to have failed to anticipate such a major disaster. I can remember the footage of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina-now that's what I call incompetence. The US government knew about the risk of New Orleans, a city below sea level, being flooded by a major storm surge but did nothing about it. The response afterwards was also laughably slow. With the Sichuan earthquake, I don't think the government could have done anything to reduce casualties before hand, The earthquake affected a truly massive area that encompassed all sorts of terrain. As news reports have said, more than 15 million people live in the Sichuan region. No government, not even the US's, would have the capacity to evacuate everyone who lived there OUT of the province, or at least gathered together in Chengdu. It would costed tens of billions of dollars to do so.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 pm
so sad and tragic, it's probely the worse i ever heard...  

Motomina

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:04 am
I agree that the government has acted in a timely and appropriate manner in dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake. However I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a loved one amongst all the rubble. I would probably be asking a lot of questions myself, and I can't help but sympathize to a degree with the Chinese who have expressed their concerns/anger over the instability of certain structures that were demolished by the earthquake (i.e. schools).

I don't mean to sound 'negative' or be overly critical of the Chinese government, if that's the impression any of you may be getting. But wouldn't you agree that it's important to try to see things from as many perspectives as possible?

On a somewhat related note, has anyone heard of that girl in China who got arrested over some comments she made in a video regarding the Sichuan earthquake? I only just heard about it yesterday from a friend, and I was in utter disbelief afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 am
That is a good point. No government is perfect, and least of all the Chinese government despite it's apparent good job at handling this disaster. We should just keep calm and look at all the sources before jumping onto a hate wagon.

Not that anyone here is doing that, I reckon we are a bunch of very reasonable youngsters. 3nodding  

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:46 am
I have to say, I didn't hear about the earthquake until about 48 hours after it had occured. It was on the main news, of course, but besides that, my local radio station didn't even report it until the two days afterwards, I think, and that was the first I'd heard of it. Now I've gotten into the habit of watching the news at 10pm or something, because it's so much more informative... sweatdrop

I guess that's why, at first, I thought it wasn't too big a scale quake. When the tsunami hit Sri Lanka, etc, there were reports flying everywhere. Possibly because it was on Boxing Day, but still - I felt like there wasn't enough coverage of the disaster in the first two days. But, thankfully media reports are happening all across the world, and help is getting to those poor people.

I don't think there are many Chinese people in Britain that hasn't cried over watching/reading about it. It hurts more, admittedly, when it's your own people.

If anyone who lives in Manchester (UK) is free this coming Monday (9th June) and would like to give money to the earthquake in any way, the Yang Sing restaurant will be hosting one of many dinners throughout Mancunian Chinese restaurants (I believe Chi Yip has already had their's, and PanAsia is doing their's soon). Tickets are £35, and amazingly, I have been asked to narrate for the evening - I'm doing English methinks, and a guy, several years older than me (I'm only 17!) is doing the Chinese part (thankfully). I'm really nervous, but I hope I do my part well and that we raise lots of money on the night. =)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 am
Interesting video...  

Etaf Evael

Chibito7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:58 am

This is very creepy. Almost unbelievable and very, very creepy. I don't know what to think.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:32 am
Very interesting indeed. Assuming that the theory behind the HAARP involvement is correct, the challenge will be to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the earthquake was a direct result of HAARP involvement, and not a naturally occurring phenomenon.

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say HAARP was proven to be directly responsible for the Sichuan earthquake, and/or any other number of 'natural' disasters. What do you think would happen? What would you like to happen?

If you find anymore articles or videos, I'd definitely be interested in viewing them.

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:00 pm
yes. is a very sad fact >:
很難過..

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers